• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Question about Highway 17

BigEddie

Moto(s)
n/a
This is what Ill be driving through most mornings when I eventually get my bike. It may just be my novice mind, but it looks fairly simple enough to ride, I mean I dont think I will want to go fast on there and it looks as if the curves are just meant to be hugged by a bike.

Anyone care to share how hard/easy it is to ride on it and what the most difficult spots are? I know the 17 like the back of my hand, so i know what spots are which.

people in Santa Cruz call it "the 17"? how quaint.

anywho, to answer your question, I hate riding on 17 (or the 17, as you prefer). Love driving on it, hate riding, esp. NB, north of the summit, there's a couple big turns, I think they're marked 40 mph, and then the turns after the reservoir. If there's eight cages in sight, they'll be going eight different speeds, and six of them will want to change lanes. It's like they're out to get you, and there's nowhere for you to go.

17 is not a big deal. People make a big deal about it, but honestly... it's not a big deal, even with traffic.

Riding down roads like Stevens Creek Blvd. are honestly far more pucker inducing and sketchy.

17 is not a big deal. People make a big deal about it, but honestly... it's not a big deal, even with traffic.

Riding down roads like Stevens Creek Blvd. are honestly far more pucker inducing and sketchy.

Old timers make it seem big...(not even that old timer =P) Just pre-divider days it was one of the most deadly roads in america(trying to find article).

It's not bad at all now.

Well, I would show you a video I posted riding 17 (at night) @ 100 - 130+ (through the curves) but I would get flamed again. Let's just say it's a safe and fun road.

post it... or it didnt happen:twofinger

people in Santa Cruz call it "the 17"? how quaint.

anywho, to answer your question, I hate riding on 17 (or the 17, as you prefer). Love driving on it, hate riding, esp. NB, north of the summit, there's a couple big turns, I think they're marked 40 mph, and then the turns after the reservoir. If there's eight cages in sight, they'll be going eight different speeds, and six of them will want to change lanes. It's like they're out to get you, and there's nowhere for you to go.

eh, I call it 17 and the 17, I dont even think about it.

17? yes an accident a day. a new spot of oil or Lots, of oil
how about antifreeze on the up hill turnes .
Glass? mufflers rocks. new grooves.
and and one day A person. yes!! thrown from an accident:(
17 has it all.
Try old santa cruz road. much nicer:ride

I did post it, that was problem. Noboday really minded it, just one cop that chimed in and wanted to write me a cyber ticket. I still have the video...But no more of that stuff on the street. Trackdays...

just post it.... who cares about Rel:p

Rode 17 on my Multi yesterday and today. Felt more relaxed then I did last time in my cage- and its a nice lexus!
Bit nippy in the morning though!
-Gronk!

I commuted this for a few years in a car. I avoid it on the bike because there is a huge potential penalty if you do fall.

Hwy 17 is unforgiving. You have very little forward vision to see obstacles, water in the middle of the turn or even a group of cars all stopped in traffic. There are a lot of sudden lane changers and tailgaters that then slam on the brakes.

If you fall, your chance of being run over is high. If you fall, you may hit the hard cement barrier or even fly over it into the other lane where cars are coming the other way.

One other hazard is when there is a sudden stop by one lane and your lane is clear until someone without insurance in some old beater cuts in front of you then hits another car totally blocking your lane.

That's how a riding buddy of mine was paralyzed.

I rode 17 on my first longer ride after going through the MSF, and a few rides mainly on backroads (Uvas, etc) and around my neighborhood. The road itself did not seem particularly difficult to me.

But there was a pretty good amount of traffic, even on a Saturday. As others mentioned, some of it was going at a good speed, some people going very slow. Lots of cars changing lanes. So it did take a lot of attention for a new rider.

And a few times, exactly what one of the other posters just mentioned crossed my mind:
If you fall, your chance of being run over is high. If you fall, you may hit the hard cement barrier or even fly over it into the other lane where cars are coming the other way.
I found myself going around a simple, wide turn at about 70 mph, and suddenly I thought to myself: "This is basically easy, but there's a concrete wall to my left, and a bunch of cars to my righ. If I manage to mess up here, I'm dead."

17 is as hard or easy as you make it. Overall its not bad at all. I wouldnt suggest an ultra noob to ride it, not because of the actual pavement/road conditions itself, but mostly because of the traffic.

17 is fun when its empty, rush hour i really don't like.

Lane 1 going northbound has a few untimely mid turn dips if youre going fast. Otherwise, its pretty mundane at normal speeds.

Back