• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Kawasaki Ninja 300

Sign the pledge: I promise to never wish for a 400cc sport bike again, because there will never, in a million gazillion years, ever be such an animal. You're more likely to get a bio-engineered Pegasus.
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/SUPERSPORT/1443/Ninja-400R

yes, I know it's a sleeved down 650R. :p

They did but no one bought them.
To the best of my knowledge, and I have a fair amount in this area, no major manufacturer ever imported a modern 250cc inline-4 into the United States for street use.

-jim

...To the best of my knowledge, and I have a fair amount in this area, no major manufacturer ever imported a modern 250cc inline-4 into the United States for street use.

-jim

Yes, I think the smallest 4 cylinder was Honda's CB350. Only the 400-4 cylinders made it state side during the time the 250-4s were being made. .

Just spent the day riding the new bike...and wow, what a difference! Skaggs Springs Road was never that much fun on a big bike. I actually dragged my knee on Hwy One, something I haven't done for years.

The new motor is so much more powerful. You can ride it like it's a bigger bike. Cruising at a GPS-verified 85 mph is no problem and the bike doesn't feel like it's straining. Top speed (GPS verified) that I saw was 103. The speedometer was very accurate, so if other journos are seeing 112, that means the bike will actually go 106 or more. Impressive for a 300!

Also impressive is the new slipper clutch, the smooth, light transmission, good wind protection, ZX-10R-ish styling, really good fuelling and a lot of other features I'll fill you in on with my Motorcycle Daily.com review.

Going to dinner now--post questions and I'll try to ask the Kawi product planners and project leader (in from Japan for this event) to get real answers.

Gabe-
Thanks much for the info. That's great news!

FI + ABS = awesome!
Slipper clutch = EHRMAGHERD!

I've been patiently awaiting the Moto3 bike from KTM--ever since I stumbled across that damn pic--but this is a tempting & most likely WAY cheaper option for getting to the track.

Cheers,

Monkey

Last edited:
Jealous Gabe - but thanks for the write up!

Just spent the day riding the new bike...and wow, what a difference! Skaggs Springs Road was never that much fun on a big bike. I actually dragged my knee on Hwy One, something I haven't done for years.

The new motor is so much more powerful. You can ride it like it's a bigger bike. Cruising at a GPS-verified 85 mph is no problem and the bike doesn't feel like it's straining. Top speed (GPS verified) that I saw was 103. The speedometer was very accurate, so if other journos are seeing 112, that means the bike will actually go 106 or more. Impressive for a 300!

Also impressive is the new slipper clutch, the smooth, light transmission, good wind protection, ZX-10R-ish styling, really good fuelling and a lot of other features I'll fill you in on with my Motorcycle Daily.com review.

Going to dinner now--post questions and I'll try to ask the Kawi product planners and project leader (in from Japan for this event) to get real answers.

shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

Gabe - did they have any ABS models to try? Still feel as light and easy-steering as the 250, with the slightly wider rear tire? When do they expect them on the floor here in any CA dealerships? Is the new digital speedo still connected via mechanical cable to the front wheel, or is it run off the back of the transmission like most new bikes?

Gabe - did they have any ABS models to try? Still feel as light and easy-steering as the 250, with the slightly wider rear tire? When do they expect them on the floor here in any CA dealerships? Is the new digital speedo still connected via mechanical cable to the front wheel, or is it run off the back of the transmission like most new bikes?

Holy fluck that's a lot of questions.

-Yes, tried the ABS, it was pretty seamless and didn't feel any heavier than the non-ABS. 3 versions available: White, Black and SE with ABS.
-Steered a lot like the old bike, but a little more planted and stable.
-Dealers who ordered early will have bikes very, very soon, like maybe even now.
-Speedo sensor is on the output sprocket nut

Bonus fact: I got 51 mpg flogging this bike WFO.

Bueno! That's 10 to 15 mpg more than I get on the '08, so I'm hoping that the FI bike ups it a little for me as well.

Thx for clearing up the models; some of the reports (and the kawi launch site) made it sound like there would be 4 versions, white/black/SE green & black/SE ABS green & black.

Anything jump out at you at particularly cheap or chintzy compared to any of the older models, or the Honda 250? Some of the reviews talk about the plastics being a step down, but TBH it sounded like someone looking for something to whine about. Does it seem to rev as quickly and easily (or better/worse) than the carbed model? Brakes more than adequate? Service intervals for valves same as the 08-12 bikes? (7500 miles) Same shim & bucket, or did they go back to locknuts like the 07's and earlier?

Is anyone else pissed off about the lack of decent suspension on these little bikes? Obviously I'm not interested in power if I'm going for a smaller sport bike, so what's left? Quality suspension, brakes, and a reduced weight is what would make this class of bikes popular IMO. Seems like a no brainer, but both honda and kawasaki have neglected the area of suspension, so I won't be giving them any money.

Is anyone else pissed off about the lack of decent suspension on these little bikes? Obviously I'm not interested in power if I'm going for a smaller sport bike, so what's left? Quality suspension, brakes, and a reduced weight is what would make this class of bikes popular IMO. Seems like a no brainer, but both honda and kawasaki have neglected the area of suspension, so I won't be giving them any money.

Quality suspension costs money that this segment has proven there's not a high enough demand for. The typical small-displacement motorcycle buyer isn't going to spend the extra money for USD fully adjustable forks and Brembo radial-mount monoblocks. It doesn't make any sense to build a bike like that for the market. 9 out of 10 250R (and now 300R) buyers are not going to be dragging their knee on the streets anytime soon.

Gabe -

Thanks, and looking forward to your full review!

Question about the tires: Kawi claims that the stock IRCs use a new, stickier rubber compound this year. Never rode IRCs myself; from reviews I've read they sounded kinda scary, so any change should be for the better. What was your impression?

Mind you, the 4" rear rim and 140 tire open up the range of tires that fit natively to finally include a couple good radials (e.g., Diablo Rosso IIs) in addition to the old, standby bias-plys that were popular on the Ninjette (e.g., Sport Demons :thumbup). Still, some new 300 buyers will probably want to put a few perfunctory miles on the stock rubber before springing for (better) replacements. Thus, inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!

Gabe -

Thanks, and looking forward to your full review!

Question about the tires: Kawi claims that the stock IRCs use a new, stickier rubber compound this year. Never rode IRCs myself; from reviews I've read they sounded kinda scary, so any change should be for the better. What was your impression?

Mind you, the 4" rear rim and 140 tire open up the range of tires that fit natively to finally include a couple good radials (e.g., Diablo Rosso IIs) in addition to the old, standby bias-plys that were popular on the Ninjette (e.g., Sport Demons :thumbup). Still, some new 300 buyers will probably want to put a few perfunctory miles on the stock rubber before springing for (better) replacements. Thus, inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!

Yes, the tires were very grippy--the fast guys (Don Canet, Kent Kunitsugu) were remarking on how surprised they were at how good the tires were. Nothing at like those horrible tire-shaped objects the pre 08 bikes came with. I'd even do a mellow-pace trackday with them.

Back