Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Lane Sharing PSA Site: LaneSplittingIsLegal.com

Folks, the recent thread about the CHP lane splitting guidelines announcement got me thinking. There was some mention in the thread that PSAs might be in order, and I thought it'd be great if there was a website that we could send car drivers to so they could get more info. I also thought it'd be great if the URL for the site was simple and conveyed the message on its own, so that folks who didn't get to the site might still get the message. So I made LaneSplittingIsLegal.com.

My original idea was to just have a splash page with some links, but I wanted to have stickers that people could slap on their bikes. Then I thought that ongoing news would be good, as well as other resources. So there's a bit more to it now.

The site is still something of a work in progress but the bulk of the idea is there. There's a link to order stickers from CafePress. I also plan to do a big run of stickers and drop li'l stacks of them at local bike shops and maybe events. I'll probably also make the road sign graphic available in large form to anyone who wants to use it.

Anyway... check it out at LaneSplittingIsLegal.com let me know what you think, and tell your friends. There's a Facebook page now, too.

EDIT:
Since there seems to be some confusion about stickers, I'm adding that info here. There are currently three designs available here. I'm working on getting a run of 1,000 or so done - as soon as I get those, I'll do some kind of free sticker in exchange for a donation to BARF deal. There are more designs/sizes coming soon - specific sizes for your cage, etc. If you want a specific color or size, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Here are two of the stickers that are currently available. Click 'em to get 'em.

Last edited by Surj; 01-30-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
sfdj_tim
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '07 ZX6R, '12 ZX10R, '02 CR250R
Name:
Good stuff! I like it!

“I’m afraid of three things: Women, snakes, and the police. They all have the ability to hurt me and make it look like it was my fault.” -Gil H.

"Hey! I always remove the passenger pegs/rear seat because if I gave all the girls' I meet at the *bucks a ride they would know how slow I was." - aram (barf)
sfdj_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
DaveT319
Marquez FTW

AMA #: #1066508
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 95/05 Vulcan 750
Name: Dave
Shouldn't you have made it "LaneSharingIsLegal.com"? Or was that taken already?

In any case, good work trying to get the word out!

I always feel a bit guilty after a good ride. Like I should go in my house, turn off all the lights, and hide behind the couch and giggle my ass off! - Brown81

Rest in peace Miri
DaveT319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L
Name: =Username
I would recommend modifying the sign to give the rider a little more room. Two inches on either side is just a bit close.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I would recommend modifying the sign to give the rider a little more room. Two inches on either side is just a bit close.
That's to scale for the Bay Bridge, sir. But you make a valid point.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 00KTM250MXC, 01TM250, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post

Yes, it is best if we all speak with one voice, despite how fractured we are...
Rel?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yes, it is best if we all speak with one voice, despite how fractured we are...
Rel?
Thanks guys.

The CHP's Lane Splitting General Guidelines use the term "lane splitting" and also mention "lane sharing" and filtering.

Since my goal with the site is primarily to promote those guidelines (thus that text being the focus of the home page) and the idea that whatever it's called, it's legal, I stuck with their language. I know that some folks care a lot about the slight (or merely semantic) differences between splitting and sharing, but I don't think it really matters in this context, and it's best to just match the language being used in the official guidelines from The Man.

Last edited by Surj; 01-29-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 00KTM250MXC, 01TM250, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
nice site. i just went there. and lanesplitting saves time for everyone by getting some vehicles off the road sooner, diminishing congestion so the cagers have a more pleasant commute.

Awesome. Spread the word. how can we make it go viral?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
nice site. i just went there. and lanesplitting saves time for everyone by getting some vehicles off the road sooner, diminishing congestion so the cagers have a more pleasant commute.

Thanks!

As for spreading the word - just tell your friends. I'm going to put a few more touches on the site and start promoting it a bit more. I'm also going to get a bunch of stickers made up and distribute them to shops and other riders. My original idea was that guys like me would be splitting every day with these stickers on their saddlebags/topcases/helmets/whatever and folks would either "get it" or go check out the site. Thus the no-nonsense URL. At least, I think it's a no-nonsense URL.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Great idea, and thank you for putting it together!

I don't know what it costs to register an additional web address, but if "lanesharingislegal.com" is available I am more than willing to help underwrite its purchase. Put in an automatic redirect and not only would you get both constituencies, you would underscore that, semantics aside, both terms are valid (and legal).

And please keep us posted as the when the stickers are available, I want one for my truck.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: Wee Strom - Sold
Name: Rod
Site looks good!

Just one suggestion: The PSA acronym may not be widely understood. Googling for it ranks "Prostate-Specific Antigen" and "Professional Sports Authenticator" at the top.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Great idea, and thank you for putting it together!

I don't know what it costs to register an additional web address, but if "lanesharingislegal.com" is available I am more than willing to help underwrite its purchase. Put in an automatic redirect and not only would you get both constituencies, you would underscore that, semantics aside, both terms are valid (and legal).

And please keep us posted as the when the stickers are available, I want one for my truck.
Good call, and thanks for the offer. I just added it to my "domain portfolio" - already had IsLaneSplittingLegal.com as well. The redirect should kick in pretty soon. I should probably also register something like AreThosePsychosAllowedToRideBetweenCars.com.

I can pretty easily do the on-demand stickers with different URLs, for folks who prefer one term over the other. There are a few stickers here, but I'm working on a bunch of sizes and whatnot so folks can get whatever will fit on their bike + some car-specific versions. I'll definitely let y'all know when they're up. I'm also thinking I might do a run of free stickers in exchange for donations to BARF.

Quote:
Perhaps we can get some GoPro footage of someone sharing/splitting safely and post it with a title of and/or link to the site?
Killer idea! And if you're commenting on any articles about this, a link would be killer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Site looks good!

Just one suggestion: The PSA acronym may not be widely understood. Googling for it ranks "Prostate-Specific Antigen" and "Professional Sports Authenticator" at the top.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't even sure I needed the "PSA" - I shortened it down from Public Service Announcement because it was just too long and unwieldy. I'll mess around with it a bit more tonight.

Last edited by Surj; 01-29-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:
Perhaps we can get some GoPro footage of someone sharing/splitting safely and post it with a title of and/or link to the site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
Killer idea! And if you're commenting on any articles about this, a link would be killer too.
Okay, BARFers... Who has some positive GoPro vids of lane splitting that they can share for the edification of drivers?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:

Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
TylerW
Futuendi Gratia

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:

If I know anything about the internet, we'll need cats or tits to make that happen.