Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: R1200GS, Ulysses, V11 Rosso Mandello, CRF250L, XT225, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Great idea, and thank you for putting it together!

I don't know what it costs to register an additional web address, but if "lanesharingislegal.com" is available I am more than willing to help underwrite its purchase. Put in an automatic redirect and not only would you get both constituencies, you would underscore that, semantics aside, both terms are valid (and legal).

And please keep us posted as the when the stickers are available, I want one for my truck.
Good call, and thanks for the offer. I just added it to my "domain portfolio" - already had IsLaneSplittingLegal.com as well. The redirect should kick in pretty soon. I should probably also register something like AreThosePsychosAllowedToRideBetweenCars.com.

I can pretty easily do the on-demand stickers with different URLs, for folks who prefer one term over the other. There are a few stickers here, but I'm working on a bunch of sizes and whatnot so folks can get whatever will fit on their bike + some car-specific versions. I'll definitely let y'all know when they're up. I'm also thinking I might do a run of free stickers in exchange for donations to BARF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Perhaps we can get some GoPro footage of someone sharing/splitting safely and post it with a title of and/or link to the site?
Killer idea! And if you're commenting on any articles about this, a link would be killer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Site looks good!

Just one suggestion: The PSA acronym may not be widely understood. Googling for it ranks "Prostate-Specific Antigen" and "Professional Sports Authenticator" at the top.
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't even sure I needed the "PSA" - I shortened it down from Public Service Announcement because it was just too long and unwieldy. I'll mess around with it a bit more tonight.

Last edited by Surj; 01-29-2013 at 09:47 AM..
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrplGrl View Post
Nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBias View Post
Radical, shared on facebook to promote. Thanks!
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
nice; need to add text to pic:

top above bike: Give'em

_____________bike pic

below bike:__ |<----->|

below arrow:_some space!

Or maybe "some room!"
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
DataDan
Mmmmmm, alpaca

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Remove the truck from the design.

Since 2004, 30 California riders have been killed in lane-splitting crashes where a truck was involved (not a pickup, a truck). That's out of 48 total lane-splitting fatalities. In some, the truck was involved in the initial impact. In others, it applied the coup de grace to the fallen rider.

Splitting in close quarters next to a truck can be deadly, and the severity of the danger must be understood by novices.
No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated. Neither may a government determine the aesthetic values of artistic creations, nor limit the forms of literary or artistic expression. Instead it has a duty to its citizens to maintain their freedom, to let those citizens contribute to the further adventure and the development of the human race.

--Richard Feynman, 5/11/1918 - 2/15/1988
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: Wee Strom - Sold
Name: Rod
A couple of articles that would be good for your list of links:

http://jalopnik.com/5502943/the-phoe...re-preventable

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...-the-city.html
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
nice; need to add text to pic:

top above bike: Give'em

_____________bike pic

below bike:__ |<----->|

below arrow:_some space!

Or maybe "some room!"
Thanks - working on a bunch of versions, maybe we can do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Remove the truck from the design.

Since 2004, 30 California riders have been killed in lane-splitting crashes where a truck was involved (not a pickup, a truck). That's out of 48 total lane-splitting fatalities. In some, the truck was involved in the initial impact. In others, it applied the coup de grace to the fallen rider.

Splitting in close quarters next to a truck can be deadly, and the severity of the danger must be understood by novices.
Thanks Dan, that's very good feedback. I'll see what we can do with the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Awesome! Thanks Rod.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyneck View Post
Thanks Dan, that's very good feedback. I'll see what we can do with the design.
And put a few more inches between the rider and those mirrors, while you're getting rid of the big truck.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
And put a few more inches between the rider and those mirrors, while you're getting rid of the big truck.
Ok, ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
CannonFodder
Veteran

Motorcycles: '07 K1200R Sport
Name:
You have at least two audiences for your site - drivers and riders. To make our site more effective, create landing pages that target these audiences to most effectively convey the message you want to get across to each group.

Drivers - I think what you have now is fairly driver oriented; I'd say the goal of what is there is to promote safety by curtailing aggressive actions by drivers. What is there now also has kind of a negative tone for drivers, so think of how you would sell the idea that "lane sharing is good" to a driver and then work that in the content. Like, what could be some benefits from the driver's point of view.

Riders - Have additional information to round out their lane sharing education, like how they need to share in one lane as opposed to weaving back and forth across the lane divider. You can have other safety tips, like what to be looking for as signs that someone might be about to make a lane change, covering the brakes, etc.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
You have at least two audiences for your site - drivers and riders. To make our site more effective, create landing pages that target these audiences to most effectively convey the message you want to get across to each group.

Drivers - I think what you have now is fairly driver oriented; I'd say the goal of what is there is to promote safety by curtailing aggressive actions by drivers. What is there now also has kind of a negative tone for drivers, so think of how you would sell the idea that "lane sharing is good" to a driver and then work that in the content. Like, what could be some benefits from the driver's point of view.

Riders - Have additional information to round out their lane sharing education, like how they need to share in one lane as opposed to weaving back and forth across the lane divider. You can have other safety tips, like what to be looking for as signs that someone might be about to make a lane change, covering the brakes, etc.
Exactly - this is my plan. As you've noted, the home page serves as the PSA primarily for drivers. I assume the news and resources sections will be of more interest to riders and I plan to add more of that kind of stuff. I put this together in my "spare time" in the last few days - there's more to come!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
SyndicatedDeath
Wild calamari

Motorcycles: 2012 R6
Name: JoDADDY!
Awesome work man! Thank you very much. I've already shared the link with a few people!
SyndicatedDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
shaun b
waterboy

AMA #3287161
Contributor

Motorcycles: KLX400 GS 500 Bandit 600(rip)
Name:
once you get the sticker design down, i'd throw a couple of them on my cages.
shaun b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #28
limey
Veteran

AMA #: 1033971
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: None. Past - ex250, ex650, cbr600, f650gs, r1150gs
Name: David
Great job!

I am glad that you used the LaneSplitting moniker as CHP is using that now, and it is a more permissive term than Lane Sharing.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
iehawk
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: K1200R (found a new home), S1000RR
Name: Al

I wouldn't put any number as how far a rider should go between. That might add a legality problem to the website.

I have found that the 2-in gap on each side is too narrow and I doubt many of us do it that narrow. The gap will always feel narrower at moving speed. A 2-in gap is something I would go through by walking the bike.

As far as going viral, I think the best way is through us... showing the sticker, the website, have it on our license plate frame, and most importantly talking to non-riders. Also by doing it properly, setting a good example, so that people out there know that it can be safe when done right.

I personally believe lane-sharing implies more positive meaning, where lane-split is more like charging through... but either way, it's fine by me. Good idea to grab both domain name.

"There is always more traction than you think.", Kari Prager

www.lanesplittingislegal.com

Last edited by iehawk; 01-29-2013 at 12:15 PM..
iehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #30
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyndicatedDeath View Post
Awesome work man! Thank you very much. I've already shared the link with a few people!
Awesome, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun b View Post
once you get the sticker design down, i'd throw a couple of them on my cages.
Stay tuned - hoping to get that stuff sorted quickly. Also hearing from some other folks that different bikes in there (scooter, cruiser, etc) will increase adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Great job!

I am glad that you used the LaneSplitting moniker as CHP is using that now, and it is a more permissive term than Lane Sharing.
Also, I've been saying lane splitting for 25 years so it jives nicely with that.