Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Land Use/OHV Parks

Old 05-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
An AMA letter generator...
https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/...ementId=473814

Please do. Easy.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
A recent letter by Diana Mead of CORVA https://www.corva.org :

Dear Senator Glazer,
It has come to my attention that you were
 rudely lambasted after a Senate Natural Resources Committee hearing on SB 1316 by an opposition attendee. I am sorry that happened. There is simply no excuse for this sort of behavior, and I say this as someone who has been similarly approached.

While I personally would not use this sort of strategy, I need you to hear how very disappointed I am in your sponsorship of this bill. I have made several appointments with your office and although I am
 a constituent, have been unable to meet with you personally. Instead, I have met with staff members who may be efficient, but are not a substitute for talking directly with my Senator. My sole direct contact with you was a single telephone conversation during which you informed me of your pending recommendation to sell OUR CARNEGIE SVRA property.
You are my state senator and I am on the board of a statewide OHV advocacy group. At the time of our last conversation, I was the President of that organization. Although it should make no difference in your representation, I 
am a liberal democrat who has been educated on the environmental issues at Carnegie SVRA.

Senator, in my opinion, you have not made the effort to understand why we need a larger park, nor have you bothered to visit the model for our expansion at Hollister Hills SVRA. I have repeatedly stated why this is important to no avail. I sincerely hope the supporters of your bill have been likewise limited in their opportunity to have face time with you.

Your bias at the Senate Natural Resources Committee hearing was on full display. Photographs comparing the current SVRA with expansion property are produced to offer an opinionated version lacking scientific facts, of what is proven environmentally responsible. We’ve seen these photos before and they are simply not accurate or a fair representation. The difference between the two parcels is also about mine tailings, cattle grazing damage, significant debris from human habitation including turn of the last century plumbing, unstable ground, unprotected indigenous peoples sites, etc.
At the current park, while one does see the results of motorized recreation, mitigation efforts are proven sustainable and religiously practiced. Wildlife and plant life are nurtured, per state law. I
 can personally attest to the deer, rabbits, and birds that were out and about during the national hillclimb competition last weekend. The sites of indigenous
and archeological significance are cataloged and protected.

All of that said, the expansion area is not proposed to be another motorcycle area. AND here lies the real conundrum.
The expansion will offer recreation not offered at the current park. Nor is this recreation offered elsewhere in the bay area. Not in the acres of land East Bay Regional Parks offers us who subsidize them (many in your district). Not in any of the other State Parks in the Bay Area. Not in any park in bay area counties. Yet, in 2014, there were 600,000 registered off highway vehicles in that same area. That is green or red stickered only, not the street registered 4 wheel drives that may also go off road with their owners. Senator, by eliminating the opportunity in this far east slice of Alameda, you are committing to these people that they will need to continue to allocate time, fuel and distance before enjoying their recreation.

The suggestion that the sale of this valued acreage would make the lawsuits “go away” is short sighted and sounded like blackmail. I suspect it is
 very likely that the supporters of Carnegie SVRA may be disturbed enough to initiate a lawsuit to stop the sale. The state should also anticipate the NIMBY Associations that today oppose the expansion, will return to their efforts to close the current Carnegie SVRA if they achieve ending the expansion area. Our best opportunity to stop the lawsuits would be to gain the support of those who represent us and model the amazing diversity that is part of both our geography and our heritage

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 05-24-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #18
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Solid stuff...

This is such a one side rip off.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
Danger Zone!

Contributor

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
A recent letter by Diana Mead of CORVA https://www.corva.org :

Dear Senator Glazer,
It has come to my attention that you were
 rudely lambasted after a Senate Natural Resources Committee hearing on SB 1316 by an opposition attendee. I am sorry that happened. There is simply no excuse for this sort of behavior, and I say this as someone who has been similarly approached.

While I personally would not use this sort of strategy, I need you to hear how very disappointed I am in your sponsorship of this bill. I have made several appointments with your office and although I am
 a constituent, have been unable to meet with you personally. Instead, I have met with staff members who may be efficient, but are not a substitute for talking directly with my Senator. My sole direct contact with you was a single telephone conversation during which you informed me of your pending recommendation to sell OUR CARNEGIE SVRA property.
You are my state senator and I am on the board of a statewide OHV advocacy group. At the time of our last conversation, I was the President of that organization. Although it should make no difference in your representation, I 
am a liberal democrat who has been educated on the environmental issues at Carnegie SVRA.

Senator, in my opinion, you have not made the effort to understand why we need a larger park, nor have you bothered to visit the model for our expansion at Hollister Hills SVRA. I have repeatedly stated why this is important to no avail. I sincerely hope the supporters of your bill have been likewise limited in their opportunity to have face time with you.

Your bias at the Senate Natural Resources Committee hearing was on full display. Photographs comparing the current SVRA with expansion property are produced to offer an opinionated version lacking scientific facts, of what is proven environmentally responsible. We’ve seen these photos before and they are simply not accurate or a fair representation. The difference between the two parcels is also about mine tailings, cattle grazing damage, significant debris from human habitation including turn of the last century plumbing, unstable ground, unprotected indigenous peoples sites, etc.
At the current park, while one does see the results of motorized recreation, mitigation efforts are proven sustainable and religiously practiced. Wildlife and plant life are nurtured, per state law. I
 can personally attest to the deer, rabbits, and birds that were out and about during the national hillclimb competition last weekend. The sites of indigenous
and archeological significance are cataloged and protected.

All of that said, the expansion area is not proposed to be another motorcycle area. AND here lies the real conundrum.
The expansion will offer recreation not offered at the current park. Nor is this recreation offered elsewhere in the bay area. Not in the acres of land East Bay Regional Parks offers us who subsidize them (many in your district). Not in any of the other State Parks in the Bay Area. Not in any park in bay area counties. Yet, in 2014, there were 600,000 registered off highway vehicles in that same area. That is green or red stickered only, not the street registered 4 wheel drives that may also go off road with their owners. Senator, by eliminating the opportunity in this far east slice of Alameda, you are committing to these people that they will need to continue to allocate time, fuel and distance before enjoying their recreation.

The suggestion that the sale of this valued acreage would make the lawsuits “go away” is short sighted and sounded like blackmail. I suspect it is
 very likely that the supporters of Carnegie SVRA may be disturbed enough to initiate a lawsuit to stop the sale. The state should also anticipate the NIMBY Associations that today oppose the expansion, will return to their efforts to close the current Carnegie SVRA if they achieve ending the expansion area. Our best opportunity to stop the lawsuits would be to gain the support of those who represent us and model the amazing diversity that is part of both our geography and our heritage
Very well put Butch! If our Senator is anyway similar to the rest of the elected officials in this country... the rich have their ears 24/7. While you or i would struggle to get even 30 minutes of their attention, they're likely having lunch, golf expeditions, etc with the wealthy who are lobbying their interests at the same time.

Only thing we can do is vote them out of office if they vote in favor of the wealthy few's interests, rather than the majority of their constituents.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Very well put Butch! If our Senator is anyway similar to the rest of the elected officials in this country... the rich have their ears 24/7. While you or i would struggle to get even 30 minutes of their attention, they're likely having lunch, golf expeditions, etc with the wealthy who are lobbying their interests at the same time.

Only thing we can do is vote them out of office if they vote in favor of the wealthy few's interests, rather than the majority of their constituents.
But we have SOCIAL MEDIA!!! We have BARF, and SBR. We vote. Our kids are the future!

I hope it matters.

Terms of Service:

Old 05-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
The Deanster
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM 690R KLX450R
Name:
From what I understand what this does is allow the land to be sold if parks is "willing". Parks says they're not interested in selling but I suppose that if this passes a Governor or somebody else up the chain could force them to?
The Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Not true. Many of us here have met with legislators and helped make stuff happen. I'm one of them, and I am neither wealthy nor a golfer. It can be frustrating, but you have to put in the work.

Besides, how's the whole voting them out thing working?
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
OK emailed the dishonorable Steve.
Reminded him to concentrate on making sure Bart never goes on strike again.
Keep those parks open or we'll ride on his land
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

There were two committee hearings this week.

Brewster posted links here
https://www.southbayriders.com/forum.../#post-2185500

Post number 18

Terms of Service:

Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

here is how the voting has gone:

06/27/18 (PASS) Asm Accountability and Administrative Review 5 2 0 Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on [Appropriations]
Ayes: Burke, Eggman, Frazier, Medina, Quirk-Silva
Noes: Lackey, Patterson
No Votes Recorded:

06/26/18 (PASS) Asm Water, Parks and Wildlife 8 6 1 Do pass and be re-referred to the Committee on [Accountability and Administrative Review]
Ayes: Carrillo, Chu, Friedman, Eduardo Garcia, Gloria, Kalra, Levine, Wood
Noes: Bigelow, Choi, Gallagher, Harper, Mathis, Salas
No Votes Recorded: Rubio

05/30/18 (PASS) Senate Floor 24 13 2 Senate 3rd Reading SB1316 Glazer et al.
Ayes: Allen, Atkins, Beall, Bradford, Dodd, Galgiani, Glazer, Hernandez, Hertzberg, Hill, Hueso, Jackson, Lara, Leyva, McGuire, Monning, Newman, Pan, Portantino, Roth, Skinner, Stern, Wieckowski, Wiener
Noes: Anderson, Bates, Berryhill, Cannella, Fuller, Gaines, Moorlach, Morrell, Nguyen, Nielsen, Stone, Vidak, Wilk
No Votes Recorded: De León, Mitchell

05/25/18 (PASS) Sen Appropriations 5 2 0 Do pass
Ayes: Beall, Bradford, Hill, Lara, Wiener
Noes: Bates, Nielsen
No Votes Recorded:

05/22/18 (PASS) Sen Appropriations 7 0 0 Placed on suspense file
Ayes: Bates, Beall, Bradford, Hill, Lara, Nielsen, Wiener
Noes:
No Votes Recorded:

04/24/18 (PASS) Sen Governmental Organization 7 4 1 Do pass as amended, but first amend, and re-refer to the Committee on [Appropriations]
Ayes: Bradford, Dodd, Galgiani, Glazer, Hill, Lara, Portantino
Noes: Cannella, Gaines, Vidak, Wilk
No Votes Recorded: Hueso

04/16/18 (PASS) Sen Natural Resources and Water 6 2 1 Do pass, but first be re-referred to the Committee on [Governmental Organization]
Ayes: Allen, Hertzberg, Jackson, McGuire, Monning, Stern
Noes: Stone, Vidak
No Votes Recorded: Hueso

Terms of Service:

Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #26
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Moto Junkie

Origins of this

So disappointing to see my Senator on this letter.

Jerry Hill.
I have written him on every issue. Met with him at the Capitol.
Basically you get a smile and a F U in the end.

Saying that the State spent all this money on this... didn't we the USERS of the park system pay for it with our $$ and our tax $$$.
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
Old 07-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #27
Dave Pickett

Motorcycles: KTM , Suz, Bultaco
Name:
SB-1316 Carnegie

Hello Everybody. As SB-1316 continues through the process, we are at a point that pressure needs to go the your Elected Assembly Person and State Senator ESPECIALLY if you live in Alameda County........... We need to keep up the pressure on Senator Glaser and Assemblywoman Baker. Anybody that rides at Carnegie and wants the expansion, then these two need to be buried in phone calls citing opposition and burn up their phone lines. Simple to do, just say your name, you live in the area (city and zip code) and you STRONGLY OPPOSE SB-1316. The need to hear a MASSIVE SPIKE in phone calls from the OHV community.

Call Glaser at 916-651-4007 Capitol office or 925-754-1461 local office &
Call Baker at 916-319-2006 Capitol office or 925-328-1515 local office or you can call both and say same thing. Be POLITE and Professional...........
I cannot stress enough that you make these calls.............. They will keep tabs on these calls and advise the member, so the more calls they get, they will KNOW that constituents are calling, thus they KNOW you vote in their district.

WE REALLY NEED TO POUND ON LOCAL LEGISLATORS TO LET THEM KNOW WE ARE FIGHTING BACK AND WILL NOT GIVE UP!

IF this Bill should pass out of the legislature, then we be asking for all to contact the Governor and ask him to VETO this bad bill.

D36's Lobby Firm, and other OHV lobby firms are working hard to kill this bill, but they need support from us, the user community.
Do it, or lose Carnegie's new 3,100 acres of new land YOU paid for!

Thanks! Dave Pickett D36 LAO
Dave Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #28
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Moto Junkie

Thanks Dave.

I will post a barf wide link to this post because it is time for action!!
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #29
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

AMA just issued a call to action with similar information as in post #27.
http://ama-d36.org/sb-1316-carnegie-...t-take-action/
I am going to call my assemblyperson (Kalra) shortly.

I am going to point out...

This bill promotes taking public park land from the state park system and putting it in the hands of a special interest group with no oversight of what their motives actually are.

Furthermore, the State park plans are already for this area to largely be a nature preserve, which is what the special interest group purports their mission to be. What they actually do is beyond our control. This benefits Garamendi and her friends, not the public.

Furthermore still, the Carnegie SVRA is in a unique location in that it is easily accessible to the bay area population, yet is remote enough not to impact residential populations.

Furthermore again, this is just the continuing creation of roadblocks by Garamendi and her friends, which is wasting hundreds of thousand of dollars. Garamendi and her friends seem to have limitless financial resources to create obstacles. The state and the OHV community do not.

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 07-05-2018 at 08:21 AM..
Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #30
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor ++

Actually, I want to make my phone message as short as possible.

Something like...

this legislation proposes to take public park lands and put them in control of the private sector.

You are taking away our parklands.
"Preservation" is mispresentated; this area is already planned for, funded and managed as a preserve.

You are my representative, not Garamendi's, and are doing your constituents a disservice.

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 07-05-2018 at 08:47 PM..