Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #16
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame Maker View Post
I've had CHP officers actually laughing when discussing DMV's data base system for looking up vehicle info. Apparently the DMV data base is limited to only vehicles titled within the state, and even those can drop out of the system. While (as explained to me) the vehicle data base that CHP has access to includes USA + Canada, and keeps track of all vehicles ever reported stolen. So, as I said above, I believe a DMV search would be inconclusive. But thanks for the comment.
Those are two different systems you're referring to; DMV and the SVS (Stolen Vehicle System), though they are set up to run through multiple systems at the same time. There are additional ones that can include vehicle info as well.

DMV contains hits on plates and VINs registered in the state. Each state has one. The SVS only contains stolen vehicles and recently towed vehicles, reported by VIN and plate. It also contains stolen plates. It doesn't contain vehicles that were stolen and later recovered, so it's not all vehicles ever reported stolen.

DMV and SVS are two entirely different databases that contain entirely different types of information. Police can check a VIN and tell you if it's clear, but cannot provide registered owner information. If it was reported stolen, it would need to be recovered.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #17
Frame Maker
Veteran

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
DONE... Frame is clear!

Winner is Hammerin' Hank who suggested using a more direct tone in my request.

I called back to my local CHP field office and implied much more concern in my tone. That lead to an immediate check of the VIN, and all is clear. I basically told the officer exactly what I told them in person yesterday, but used more emphasis in my phrase containing the word "stolen". Apparently that made the difference
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 FXDLS, 2016 Concours14, 1997 FLHT, 1987 VFR700F2
Name: Dan
Jesus...

Running a VIN to check for stolen status is perfectly fine.

Source: not only am I an LEO but I also once oversaw the unit responsible for CLETS Audits.

*assuming you’re working and it’s a citizen asking... you’re not running for your own (officer’s) purchase... and you don’t reveal any information to the requestor, other than stolen status.

Edit: Bojangle beat me to it as well

Last edited by orbframe; 05-15-2018 at 07:02 PM..
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #19
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbframe View Post
Jesus...

Running a VIN to check for stolen status is perfectly fine.

Source: not only am I an LEO but I also once oversaw the unit responsible for CLETS Audits.

*assuming you’re working and it’s a citizen asking... you’re not running for your own (officer’s) purchase... and you don’t reveal any information to the requestor, other than stolen status.

Edit: Bojangle beat me to it as well
This is the correct answer. Checking stolen status for a citizen IS a legitimate law enforcement purpose. The officer will not be able to provide victim or registered owner information.

Also, the Dispatch alert for SVS hits is usually a setting in the dispatch software that can be turned on or off. My agency’s dinosaur Data911 software doesn’t have it, but newer software like RIMS or Mark43 have it as an option.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #20
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 FXDLS, 2016 Concours14, 1997 FLHT, 1987 VFR700F2
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This is the correct answer. Checking stolen status for a citizen IS a legitimate law enforcement purpose. The officer will not be able to provide victim or registered owner information.

Also, the Dispatch alert for SVS hits is usually a setting in the dispatch software that can be turned on or off. My agency’s dinosaur Data911 software doesn’t have it, but newer software like RIMS or Mark43 have it as an option.
As long as the dispatchers are watching the terminal and not the bachelor, the voice, Hulu, Netflix, ........
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #21
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yep, I run hundreds of plates a day to see if they're stolen. I think even our dispatchers can release that info since people call in suspicious vehicles regularly that they suspect are stolen.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote