Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 07-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)

Contributor ++++++++1%

Motorcycles: ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 R3 track, '13 CB500F, '09 Zuma 125, '06 RM85L, '05 CRF150F
Name: Looney
The FLAP bikes are good for building confidence, and if you're worried about something happening to your nice expensive bike, the FLAP bikes might be a nice solution for not having that hanging over your head. You might even decide to get a little track bike after trying it out.

If you do want to bring your own, look into renting a van. I think Enterprise rents out Transits? A Baxley chock helps a lot with transport, and it's a good thing to have regardless.

Second option is to carpool with someone else who already has a truck/van. Offer to pay for gas and snacks.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Ride your Tuono, youíll be glad you did. As mentioned above, if you wreck the FLAP bike itís on you to pay the repairs. Though you can limit your out of pocket risk to $700 by paying a $75 fee.

Checked out Enterprise for you, in San Jose a cargo van is $185/day (600 free miles), which is ridiculous IMO.

Even if you fit a custom hitch, your vehicle may not be rated high enough (likely, 2,000lbs min) for a You-Haul trailer. Give Ďem a call?

Hopefully a fellow BARFer with extra space will help you out. If not, Iíd rent the 300 from FLAP and pay that $75.

Good on you for getting on the track. Youíll learn more in a day than in a summer of street riding.
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #18
Siris
Rookie

Motorcycles: ‘17 Tuono
Name:
From cost perspective, FLAP definitely makes sense over renting a van for 1 track day. With two-day weekend, FLAP rental at $350+$75 per day does start adding up. So if I want to take my bike, I either bite the bullet and rent a van from UHaul or find someone to ride with.
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #19
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards (03 for sale),YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271374

Yeah doesn't look great for that model year - UHaul can do a custom hitch for you - you just have to fill out the form on their site and they'll send you a quote.

Alternatively - post here to see if anyone else is heading up there and can give you a lift OR if you have facebook and are not on trackday junkies group - that's a good one to join and ask to see if someone can help take you up there and back.
look at the final post in the thread

it's a Class 1 but that's fine for towing a bike on a small trailer
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #20
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 765 RS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
look at the final post in the thread

it's a Class 1 but that's fine for towing a bike on a small trailer
He was talking about renting one. I donít think uhual has a class 1 trailer but I could be wrong.
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #21
NN2

Motorcycles: Ducati 748 & 1098
Name:
That weekend you can rent a small pickup from Enterprise (san jose airport location) for $49/day, unlimited miles. Sign up for it soon since the window closes for that rate.
NN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #22
Siris
Rookie

Motorcycles: ‘17 Tuono
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NN2 View Post
That weekend you can rent a small pickup from Enterprise (san jose airport location) for $49/day, unlimited miles. Sign up for it soon since the window closes for that rate.
Not a bad way to go. Thanks for the tip. Wanted a van for easy loading but this seems a bit more cost effective. Will have to figure out how to get a 450 lb bike up a tall ramp on my own.
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #23
NN2

Motorcycles: Ducati 748 & 1098
Name:
Grab a buddy, neighbor or some shmuck walking by

Yep, and offer up a beer for the effort.

Find a sloped driveway that you can backup to (lessens the angle you have to push the bike up).

At the track you won't have a problem unloading and loading. Cycle gear or harbor freight has a foldable ramp for something around $100.

If it starts to cool off I'm gonna try to make it that weekend.

Last edited by NN2; 07-26-2018 at 09:43 PM..
NN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #24
jmann
Rookie

Motorcycles: sport
Name:
Offer to pay for gas and snacks for someone with a good trailer to take you to Thunder Hill. Always good to talk and get info from them during the drive. (Like watch out for turn 5 on your first run). ��. My first time, I even offered to pay for their track days. Always good to have a helping hand at the track.

Oh, if you’re not used to loading a bike up a ramp, be very careful. Might ruin your weekend before it even starts. Plus the Tourno is kind of low right after the front tire. Once saw a guy get his bike stuck at the oil pan using a ramp. The longer the ramp the less chance of getting clearance issues. Plus having a sloped driveway helps.

Last edited by jmann; 07-26-2018 at 10:21 PM..
jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
Bossassturtle
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2006 CRF70F 2007 CRF250R 2007 R6
Name: Daniel V
Back her in to your driveway where the angle will be the least steep, grab a stool and place it to the left side of the ramp and clutch her up! Use the stool as a step! Text me, my schedule is usually tight when it comes to the day before a track weekend but I may be able to give you a hand with it.

408 679 7679
Bossassturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #26
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards (03 for sale),YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
He was talking about renting one. I donít think uhual has a class 1 trailer but I could be wrong.
Class 1 hitches are rated for 2000lb, the UHaul 4x7 trailer is 630lb so there's plenty of rating available for the bike (or even 2 no problem)

motorcycle trailer is 550lb

5x8 is 1000lb and heavier than i'd prefer for sure, but it'd work

if you go on UHaul's web site they'll give various trailers that're available, and how much you can put in each for a given hitch
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #27
Bassem
Veteran

Moderator: Trackday Forum
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: R6 (track), 510 SMR, Panigale Tricolore
Name: Bassem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossassturtle View Post
Back her in to your driveway where the angle will be the least steep, grab a stool and place it to the left side of the ramp and clutch her up! Use the stool as a step! Text me, my schedule is usually tight when it comes to the day before a track weekend but I may be able to give you a hand with it.
If you decide to clutch up a ramp, make sure the ramp is secure to the truck (tie down or something to make sure it doesn't slide out from under you)
AFM #961

BARF TOS

Last edited by Bassem; 07-30-2018 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: EDIT: trUck
Bassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
Bossassturtle
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2006 CRF70F 2007 CRF250R 2007 R6
Name: Daniel V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassem View Post
If you decide to clutch up a ramp, make sure the ramp is secure to the track (tie down or something to make sure it doesn't slide out from under you)
Totally forgot to mention that, thanks Bassem! Definitely make sure the ramp is strapped to the trucks trailer hitch!
Bossassturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #29
mxrider89
just another dude

4% Contributor

Motorcycles: got a couple tings
Name: Colton
also if you change your tire before loading make sure you pump the brakes and build pressure back into the pistons so you dont get it half way up the ramp and have a "oh shit " moment *cough*Bassem*cough*
Rip #69
mxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #30
Bassem
Veteran

Moderator: Trackday Forum
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: R6 (track), 510 SMR, Panigale Tricolore
Name: Bassem
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider89 View Post
also if you change your tire before loading make sure you pump the brakes and build pressure back into the pistons so you dont get it half way up the ramp and have a "oh shit " moment *cough*Bassem*cough*
Yup! total noob move on my part
AFM #961

BARF TOS
Bassem is offline   Reply With Quote