Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Dion Rides
Pretty much BMX now...
Dion Rides's Avatar
Mod Alumni

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Capitola, Ca.
Motorcycles: BMX, CX, MTB...
Name: Dion
Understanding Off-Highway Vehicles Sticker Designation (Green vs. Red)

There's at least a thread every two weeks with question in regards to this issue. So I'm making a sticky FYI. See you on the trails! - Dion

Red and Green Stickers

California Air Resources Board (ARB) established regulations to limit the use of Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) that do not meet emission standards applicable for California OHV riding areas. After the regulations were established, ARB and DMV worked together to develop criteria for identifying non-complying OHVs. OHVs are registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A red or green sticker is issued depending upon certain criteria.

Green stickers are issued for all California OHVs year model 2002 and older, including those that were previously issued a red sticker, and to 2003 and newer complying vehicles. Green stickers are issued to OHVs for year round use at all California OHV riding areas.

Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. If your OHV has a "3" or "C" in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) then your vehicle will be issued a red sticker. Red stickers are issued to OHVs that can use California OHV riding areas for seasonal use only.

Off Highway Vehicle License Plates

What Is Different About OHV Plates?

Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) license plates are not a hard metal plate like those issued to automobiles, commercial vehicles, trailers, and motorcycles. Instead they are pliable, metalicized, and self-adhesive for secure application to the vehicle. They also have a unique numbering system.

The plate number is shown at the top of the plate and the vehicle’s registration expiration month and year are shown in the center stripe.

OHV Renewal

All OHVs have a fixed expiration date of June 30. OHV registration renewal occurs every two years after the original registration and a new plate with a new license number is issued upon payment of renewal fees.

NOTE: If your OHV is a motorcycle that you use solely in organized racing or competitive events on a closed course, you may obtain a permit that allows transportation of the vehicle to and from course events. The permit, for which there is a fee, is a reflectorized, red and white, numbered sticker that should be mounted on the vehicle in a clearly visible location. This permit remains valid until the vehicle is sold or dismantled.

License Plate Placement

It is important that you affix the plate in the proper location for the type of vehicle you own. Use the diagrams below to identify the required location for placement of the OHV plate on your vehicle. Before affixing the plate to your vehicle, be sure the placement area is clean and dry.

If you affix the plate incorrectly or keep it in the storage space beneath the vehicle seat, you may be cited by law enforcement.

Red Plate, Green Plate

Some OHVs do not meet emission standards applicable for California OHV riding areas as outlined in California Air Resources Board Regulations and therefore are restricted to use in limited areas and certain times of the year. These vehicles are issued a red OHV plate. The center stripe is white with the month and year in dark blue.

All other OHVs are issued a green plate which has a dark blue center stripe with a white month and year.

A complete explanation and links regarding OHV plates can be seen here:
Dion Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Cafe Racer
King of this hill
Cafe Racer's Avatar
AMA #2881773
Founding Member

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: ...fall in love with me. KTM ADV1090R Yamaha FZR-R4
Name: Miguel
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
mweitz's Avatar
AMA #: 1102296

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peninsula
Motorcycles: Tricycle
Name: Mark
Here is a list of all of the riding areas in CA with their corresponding Red sticker riding dates.

Red Sticker Open Dates
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf (72.6 KB, 129 views)
Motion Pro - Your motorcycle tools, cables, and controls specialist

DecalWorks - Best Graphics Around
mweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350

if it is a race bike for race track use only you still need to pay a rd tax for it?

Last edited by packnrat; 08-17-2015 at 10:03 PM..
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Taze away, Yana...
shouldnthave's Avatar
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ GOP + 1%

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arount
Motorcycles: Sure
Name: J
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
if it is a race bike for race track use only you still need to oay a rd tax for it?
No. If it's on private property (race track, your land, another persons land). However, you should "non-OP" the bike with the DMV as to not have huge penalties when you decide to register it, or sell the bike. It can equal thousands in just a few years.
shouldnthave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Butch's Avatar
AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Jose, bottom of dirty 130
Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
It will all change in the next few years based on the study UCD did for CARB.

Interesting stuff here:
Hodaka Ace 90. I've been riding these things too long. What can I say? How about that Combat Wombat?

Terms of Service:

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.