Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 02-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #16
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
If you do go Beta, Auburn Powersports is now a dealer. About an hour closer than Vacaville.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #17
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Just read this on the fe450 page

"CRANKSHAFT
A plain big end bearing comprising of two force-fitted bearing shells ensure maximum reliability and durability, guaranteeing long service intervals of 135 hours."

Dafuq? What is this, a 2 stroke? I don't want to touch my bottom end for 500+ hours. (Insert dirty joke here)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #18
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
Toilet Paper Warrior
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++2%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I think all the manufacturers have ridiculous interval specs. I think this is because they're based on racing and it's a CYA in case something Dows happen.

I know the Beta specs were horrifying but so far everyone I know with one hasn't touched the bottom ends. One guy I know has over 10k on his 430 and no issues.

District 36

CORVA

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #19
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
I don't think I'd read much into it unless they used to say 300-500 hours and have recently downgraded it. Usually they say something low and reality is that it's much longer. To *guarantee* 135 hours is actually really impressive. Highly doubt anyone else is doing anything like that.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #20
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor +1%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC, Beta Techno 250
Name: Alex
I think my 501 also says something like 150 hours on bottom end. No one I know of on the entire Husky thread on Advrider has ever touched theirs afaik.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Reading a bunch of articles, it seems ktm will be bringing the AER fork to the enduro lineup at some point in the near future.
MXers and.most who have ridden it seem to like them but KTM feels the enduro crowd is put off by air forks still. They are waiting for that prejudice to die down a bit, probably a few more years.

One thing I read I didn't like on the Beta was the seperate engine and trans oil. I guess I have bad memories of ktm's xc4 engine problems.

I am starting to like the husky fe450. I know I like that bore and stroke power delivery from my 07 453 kit, it can only be better in a newer bike, right? 450 is a good middle ground between the too small 350 and too big 500. Also, linkage rear should be more progressive even if it is higher maintenance. Plus it's white.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor +1%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC, Beta Techno 250
Name: Alex
See if you can get a ride on a 450 and 501 before you buy. That is not my understanding of how the 450 motor behaves. I feel the 500 is actually the gentler of the two motors, imho.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #23
rebekahlynn
racer x

AMA #2956245
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: fun ones
Name: rlb
My vote goes for the husky 350! I might be biased but everyone who rides it, loves it. Mine is remapped - it's a 2016 but was done before everyone tightened down and stopped remapping. You cannot send an ecu out of state to be remapped anymore - do not let a seller convince you it can still happen. BUT if you can find a remapped one for sale

I just saw a plated 2017 350 on fb for sale for $8k which is a screamin deal. Has like 1,000 miles/30hours on it. IDK why you would eliminate the husky because of the forks? I had my suspension set by JPH (Jason) and it's perfect. If you wanted to ride my 350 for a day you could - but it would be an unfair representation since it is mapped. Offer stands tho.
rebekahlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Thanks Rebekah

As far as FI bikes, I have a little time on:
2012 ktm 500 exc, bone stock- I coined the term "velvet hammer" for it
2012 350exc w/euro mapping
2016 husky fe350 w/jd tuner
2017 ktm 450 exc six days w/vortex
2015? Husaberg 350 stock

Not enough time or consistent terrain to make apples to apples though

Last edited by augustiron; 02-18-2018 at 07:25 AM..
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
TooBadBrad
Rookie

Motorcycles: Triumph/ Beta/Husaberg
Name:
I have a plated 350 with a thumper 390 kit. Plenty of power, even in Baja, for me.(old guy former A rider) Don't let the 4cs forks scare you. Mine are set up by Kerft moto and are easily the best I've ever experienced.
TooBadBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #26
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

$950 for kreft to rework the 4cs is scary.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #27
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

I just read a thread on the ktm/husky 450 from James Dean of jd jetting.

He gets them from 39hp to 51 with basic mods:
- jd jetting powersurge box
-remove reed cage from intake
-remove external screen from Stock exhaust
- desmog ( for decel popping, not hp)

He says the reed removal makes the biggest difference.

He also tries different exhausts and says the stock does great with the screen out.

Very informative thread.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?53...rse-Race-Setup
Old 05-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #28
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

So my desire to get a new FI bike is completely dampened.

We just completed a great 400 mile ride to gerlach and back and fatally killed 3 of 9 bikes, 2 of which were were the only 2 FI bikes on the ride.
My trusty old RFS ktm never missed a beat and towed both those bikes and riders to safety.
We also blew up a wr450 after an hour of high speed BLM road its 5 speed trans did not like.

My other friend with a 16 husky 350 had it die on her twice with an FI error code while riding locally and had to be towed out. It is at the dealer now.

So, 3 of 4 close friends with new FI bikes have been left high and dry in the last 2 weeks.
No bueno.

Seemingly Nothing you can do when the fi fails. We took one apart in Gerlach and checked everything, pulled the injector, etc till 1am in the hotel room. Just dead.

Compare that to the fact I rebuilt the carb on the wr in tight singletrack when the jet needle e clip popped off and the bike wouldn't run.

I think I'm sticking with carbs. Or maybe developing a kit to put an FCR on the fi bikes.
Or maybe an rfs in the new chassis...
Hmmmmm...
Old 05-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #29
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: DR650, Ducati HyperStrada, .
Name: Patrick
Several friends own KTM 500EXC's. Mostly good luck, no failures as you have described. Be thankful you guys were only around Gerlach ... and not Bolivia.

It's obvious there is more to be learned on F.I. systems and all ancillary components. If traveling, maybe best to take some spares? I think that may all you can do once something goes belly up. ???

Carbs are nice for correcting issues trail side, but do sacrifice MPG and not always great at high altitude. And if you're a klutz ... you can break a Carb too.

My DR650 Carb has been simple and reliable for thousands of miles. The FCR pumper Carb on my former WR250F was not so happy ... James Dean to the rescue ... finally. Took a year to sort out. Hard to get to and work on.

My recent 2017 KTM 690 was flawless ... but very low miles no so real test.

I guess it comes down to what you want to do with your bike, where and how far you intend to go. If you're just doing local weekend dirt riding then when something breaks ... you fix it. Or buy another $10,000 dirt bike.

Are some modern bikes failing more than they should? What do you guys think? Is this issue endemic or limited to one brand .. or what?

I wondered what the collective here thinks of the recently announced Honda CRF450L? Yes, I've seen the thread here and read a bit elsewhere about this bike as well.

IMO, Honda have made yet another error in judging the market with this new bike.

One element that is Dual Sport specific that not ONE of the dozens of posts addressed on that other thread is ... SEAT HEIGHT! NO ONE mentioned it!
Are all those guys over 6ft tall?

New Honda is over 37 in. That's full competition dirt bike territory. The CRF250L is about 33 in. I think?

The other obvious boner most are concerned about (a deal breaker for most)
is the measly claimed 25 HP Honda list.

Is it EPA holding back Honda? If so, then how do KTM and Husky do it? I know "small" companies get special EPA temp. dispensation and can operate with more relaxed pollution levels, not sure if that still is relevant today?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Rumbo Sur; 08-01-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Rumbo Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #30
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
Toilet Paper Warrior
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++2%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I think Seat Height is a printed illusion. 37" on a bike with 14"of travel is more like 34.5-35" once you are in the saddle.
I'm a short gal riding a Beta 430RR-S as a dual sport and it performs really well.
IT has to do with definitions and what is driving the market. With so many GoPro videoes on YouTube touting these light weight plated dirt bikes as dual sports suddenly you have an upswing in Beta, Husky, and KTM sales. The Honda is meant to compete with these guys.

District 36

CORVA

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote