Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #2956
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Motorcycles: kawi kawi yam yam beta honda honda
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
The YZ250 aluminum frame has a nice pocket for plug.
Nice. Darn my steel frame YZ
(I see a loose bolt in there!)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #2957
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
I knew somebody would point that out. I had taken my pipe and silencer off for cleaning. BTW that washer and rubber grommet are crash-tweaked.

Also BTW, safety wire goes to a safety pin through the oil filler cap.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #2958
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Name:
Well sure, isn't there always a prize for being first to find "what's wrong with this picture"
Nice idea for oil cap, I was wondering why the safety wire
Old 10-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #2959
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by onto1wheel View Post
Well sure, isn't there always a prize for being first to find "what's wrong with this picture"
Old 10-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #2960
onto1wheel
Riding All The Time

Name:
Yum!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #2961
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
I've been trying to improve the bottom end on my RM250 for offroad technical riding. I took it to Moab a couple of weeks ago and it was a handful. It loves to Rev and spin the rear tire or flame out. It is a track bike in stock form not an offroad weapon. I just dropped the needle and installed a smaller power valve jet and retarded the timing in two steps at Hollister today. I finally feel like I'm taming the beast. It has low end torque and ridability it has never had before. Now it is time to work on the suspension.

Last edited by anytwowilldo; 10-28-2018 at 08:50 PM..
anytwowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #2962
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor +1%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC, Beta Techno 250
Name: Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by anytwowilldo View Post
I've been trying to improve the bottom end on my RM250 for offroad technical riding. I took it to Moab a couple of weeks ago and it was a handful. It loves to Rev and spin the rear tire or flame out. It is a track bike in stock form not an offroad weapon. I just dropped the needle and installed a smaller power valve jet and retarded the timing in two steps at Hollister today. I finally feel like I'm taming the beast. It has low end torque and ridability it has never had before. Now it is time to work on the suspension.
Tom, a flywheel weight made a big difference for me in smoothing out the power and making the bike more tractable on tighter trails. It revs slower too and that may or may not be a desired side effect for you.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #2963
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
Tom, a flywheel weight made a big difference for me in smoothing out the power and making the bike more tractable on tighter trails. It revs slower too and that may or may not be a desired side effect for you.
It had a flywheel weight installed when I got it along with a Gnarly pipe. I changed the needle to two steps leaner than stock and have now dropped it too. It really needs a ton of fuel pulled out to run well. Again, I finally feel like I'm gaining ground. Every jet and the needle are much leaner than stock.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 AM   #2964
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

I think your bike just needs jetting and clutch adjustment.

The last thing we need is more power down low. Smooth transition from low to mid, sure. If we wanted power we would be revving it. We don't want power, that's why we are off the throttle lugging it around.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #2965
Pmd220
Rookie

Motorcycles: Fxr, 701, yz250f, 450exc
Name: Patrick
Try retarding the timing, did wonders with my yz250
Pmd220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #2966
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Scorpa 300, '14 Gas Gas xc300r, '93 KTM 550 MXC, 2009 950 SE, 2005, 2014 500 EXC
Name:
Be careful running lean Tom, it really hurts 2ts (lean is mean as the saying goes).
Some motors are built to deliver power in a hit rather than a smooth flow, the RM is one of 'em. I'd get it running the correct AF ratio (a little fat on the bottom with good fuel delivery throughout the band) then try to tame that power band with the typical tricks: thicker base gasket will drop the power lower in the band and reduce overrev: FWW will slow things down a little: you may be able to change how the power valve actuates (spring pre-load at the crank linkage): head squish mods: pipe.

You've got a couple already but remember, there's a reason no-one uses an RM for single track..that motor likes to hit and was built to do it.
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #2967
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
I think your bike just needs jetting and clutch adjustment.

The last thing we need is more power down low. Smooth transition from low to mid, sure. If we wanted power we would be revving it. We don't want power, that's why we are off the throttle lugging it around.
I believe you are right. I've had a brand new Barnett Dirt Digger clutch in a box for a year, as the old one was like a light switch. When I went to install it I found that even though the clutch basket nut had a lock washer it was loose. You could wiggle it as far as the lock washer would allow with your fingers. I retorqued the nut. The clutch basket and hub are perfect and show virtually no wear. I put the new clutch in and it is awesome. It has a light clutch pull and a much longer engagement. I love it. I rode at Georgetown this weekend and the motor is SOOO much better for offroad. It pulls down low -but still is not perfect on what I believe is the very bottom of the needle. I'm going to keep refining the jetting. It also produces so much less spooge even though I went from 40:1 too 32:1. I'm sure the retarded timing is helping too.
This was the first time I rode with my rebuild forks complete with gold valves. The are so much better than they were before. They don't slap when landing and move through much more of the stroke. I used all but an inch of travel in Georgetown, whereas I left 4 inches unused in Moab. After riding a brand new Husky TE300I and an 8 year old KTM 300XCW I realized that I still have BMW M3 suspension and what I really need is 72 Cadillac Sedan Deville. I'm going to remove fork oil hoping to soften the stroke. I may also rebuild the compression valve stack. I'm getting there and had a blast riding it this past Sunday.

Last edited by anytwowilldo; 11-05-2018 at 04:45 PM..
anytwowilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #2968
OaklandF4i
Veteran

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390
Name: CJ
Tom

As you know and I have shared already, I agree with Luke. Lean is usually mean. I've kept my YZ slightly fat off the bottom to keep it tame.

That said, unlike earlier RMs, I think it can be made closer to the YZ. Your motor is supposed to be dimensionally very similar to the YZ. It was the year Suzuki basically copied the YZ, even the same carb. Plus you have a spring adjustable power valve.

Maybe in December we can take a day and really go into and through your motor. Compression, leakdown, squish, and open up the top end. Compare it to the known numbers on my YZ. Could even compare the ports to my second YZ engine on the shelf. Or even swap in my carb.

Luke also brings up a good suggestion I hadnt even considered, a thicker base gasket to change the port timing. Would also reduce the compression slightly (good for a trail bike and pump gas.)

I dont think it would or will take a ton of money to perfect your RMs motor. Pumped that you are enjoying the two stroke life! Bummed I'm not going to make it down to Hollister this weekend.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #2969
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Tom

As you know and I have shared already, I agree with Luke. Lean is usually mean. I've kept my YZ slightly fat off the bottom to keep it tame.

That said, unlike earlier RMs, I think it can be made closer to the YZ. Your motor is supposed to be dimensionally very similar to the YZ. It was the year Suzuki basically copied the YZ, even the same carb. Plus you have a spring adjustable power valve.

Maybe in December we can take a day and really go into and through your motor. Compression, leakdown, squish, and open up the top end. Compare it to the known numbers on my YZ. Could even compare the ports to my second YZ engine on the shelf. Or even swap in my carb.

Luke also brings up a good suggestion I hadnt even considered, a thicker base gasket to change the port timing. Would also reduce the compression slightly (good for a trail bike and pump gas.)

I dont think it would or will take a ton of money to perfect your RMs motor. Pumped that you are enjoying the two stroke life! Bummed I'm not going to make it down to Hollister this weekend.
I'd love to hangout and go through the motor.

I'm bummed you won't be making it to Hollister for there Hareball. Both my Nephews will be on course this year. I can't wait for the smack talk to start.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #2970
NB0tt
Veteran

AMA #3302970
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: r dumb
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
Picked up a very worn, tampered with, TTR125 that's been bored out to 150. It runs really rich, thinking about picking up a different carburetor.
Hey ThumperX,

Do you think a TTR125 would be about the right size for a 11/12yr old girl? My daughter has been riding a CRF70 for several years and I think it's time for an upgrade but I'm not sure if the TTR would be too tall for her.