Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Grab Bag

Old 03-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
mmilanes04
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2007 r1
Name: Marlon
Hitch and installation.

Whatís up guys and girls I just want to give everyone a heads up I work for U-Haul in Fremont Iím one of the hitch pro.So I talk to my manager and asked if I could give you guys some discounts and he said yes so p.m. me if you want to get hitch installed or call me at U-Haul in Fremont off Grimmer Blvd
mmilanes04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Seduction
Remember to ride safe.

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The Slow One
Name:
Pm sent
Seduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Yamaha!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilanes04 View Post
Whatís up guys and girls I just want to give everyone a heads up I work for U-Haul in Fremont Iím one of the hitch pro.So I talk to my manager and asked if I could give you guys some discounts and he said yes so p.m. me if you want to get hitch installed or call me at U-Haul in Fremont off Grimmer Blvd
This is awesome. Thanks Marlon. I've been advocating for U-Haul hitch installation for years as a way for people to get their bikes to track days without renting trucks or relying on other people. Most new riders don't realize that just about any car can be set up with a hitch and will have no trouble towing a small trailer with a bike. There are so many options for new or used, expensive or cheap trailers. Give Marlon a call and then check BARF or Craig's list for trailers.

Neither I nor Z2 are affiliated with Marlon or U-Haul but this is exactly what I did when I first started riding and it was great.

--David
Get on our email list here.

Yamaha | CTRacing/Pirelli | Cycle Gear | Suomy | Mach1 Motorsports | Motion Pro | RacerGloves | Tech Spec | Pit Bull | Optimal Bodywork
dbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
mmilanes04
Rookie

True that cost more money to rent a vehicle versus renting a trailer Cost about $15
Old 03-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
mmilanes04
Rookie

And if you PM you guys did give me the make and the model of your vehicle and I’ll give you a quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
gt3x24x7
Veteran

AMA #3278988
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenj View Post
This is awesome. Thanks Marlon. I've been advocating for U-Haul hitch installation for years as a way for people to get their bikes to track days without renting trucks or relying on other people. Most new riders don't realize that just about any car can be set up with a hitch and will have no trouble towing a small trailer with a bike. There are so many options for new or used, expensive or cheap trailers. Give Marlon a call and then check BARF or Craig's list for trailers.

Neither I nor Z2 are affiliated with Marlon or U-Haul but this is exactly what I did when I first started riding and it was great.

--David
A friend of mine whose also a barf member told me that a car like my Prius 3 could even tow a bike. Read on multiple prius forums that it is possible but generally not recommended. Wouldn't it be a dumb move? Car is already underpowered as it is. Owners manual says no towing. Load wouldn't be more than 700-800 lbs. What do you guys think?
gt3x24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
dbenj
Z≤Trackdays.com

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Yamaha!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3x24x7 View Post
A friend of mine whose also a barf member told me that a car like my Prius 3 could even tow a bike. Read on multiple prius forums that it is possible but generally not recommended. Wouldn't it be a dumb move? Car is already underpowered as it is. Owners manual says no towing. Load wouldn't be more than 700-800 lbs. What do you guys think?
I don't know anything about Prii personally but if a car isn't specifically built for towing, I'm sure the manufacturer needs to put language in the doc that says not to do it for liability reasons. You won't win any races (in the car) but you'll get your bike to the track. If it's a new car under warranty, you might want to check to see if towing would void the warranty too.

--David
Get on our email list here.

Yamaha | CTRacing/Pirelli | Cycle Gear | Suomy | Mach1 Motorsports | Motion Pro | RacerGloves | Tech Spec | Pit Bull | Optimal Bodywork
dbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #8
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
You might burn up that CVT clutch. Iíve seen it done though.

Most hitches are bolt on with minimal work/tools though.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
I figure as long as you're not exceeding the equivalent of a car full of 250lb dudes and not going over the grapevine, it's probably ok. Pretty flat out to t-hill and a lightweight trailer with one sprotbike should be fine to do monthly/whatever. Of course, if you cook your clutch, then you really should have listened to madsen.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
damartian
Veteran

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Is it possible, yes. recommended, depends on who you ask. for smaller cars (4 bangers), don't try to pull those U-Haul trailers (heavy) because it may burn up your transmission. But you can also help your car's tranny by putting a tranny cooler so it wont over heat. I've seen a bmw 328 pull a single bike trailer. I've seen a Honda element and a civic pull a single trailer as well. I've also see tesla pull a kendon 2 bike trailer with no issues. but for ease of mind, as I said, you can put a tranny cooler.
damartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
mmilanes04
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by damartian View Post
Is it possible, yes. recommended, depends on who you ask. for smaller cars (4 bangers), don't try to pull those U-Haul trailers (heavy) because it may burn up your transmission. But you can also help your car's tranny by putting a tranny cooler so it wont over heat. I've seen a bmw 328 pull a single bike trailer. I've seen a Honda element and a civic pull a single trailer as well. I've also see tesla pull a kendon 2 bike trailer with no issues. but for ease of mind, as I said, you can put a tranny cooler.

Well said...

Last edited by mmilanes04; 03-14-2018 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
MidnightSun
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: one with two wheels
Name: Tim
I talked to him, but it's, for me it's not easy, this guy. I don't know. It's always like that. You must come in the morning to him and say, "Hello, Max" and "How are you?" And you don't do that, he come not -Max Neukirchner
54td 4/30/2014
MidnightSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
mmilanes04
Rookie

Heads up I can get discounts on brake controller, simpler, trailer lights and radio cooler. My boss said around 20%
Old 03-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #14
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards (03 for sale),YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
I agree: the UHaul trailers are very heavy, so if you have a car you're iffy about towing with they probably aren't the best option.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
I used to pull my race bike or 2 jet skiis in a Harbor Freight trailer with a 1985 VW Cabriolet. Hitch bolted to the bumper and through the floor pan in the trunk. Towed fine, even up to Sonora.

Mad