Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
DarkSouls

Motorcycles: K8 SV650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototireguy View Post
+1

Super important you run the battery/charging system health checklist after you install the new battery.

Or you run the risk of your new $100 battery being run flat and dead again soon.
Agreed. I am getting a multimeter today to check the state of the current battery.
My commute is very short under 5 miles each way with a lot of traffic lights in between. I was able to ride it back home. However once I turned of the bike I was not able to turn it on again.
DarkSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
DarkSouls

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
If the battery was dead, and you didn't leave the lights on or something, you have a charging system problem.

Does the bike start up now that you got home?
No . It did not start. I am planning to get a multimeter today on my way home and check its residual voltage and during ignition.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
PASTAPWR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 RSV Mille
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Note that it's possible to turn the key past the steering lock position to park, at which point the tail light stays on.

If that's what happened, there may be nothing wrong with your bike.
+1

I have done this a couple times on my Mille. So I changed my shutdown process. I now purposefully rotate the key all the way, then come back one click.

"Lines? How about staying to the left of the white one and right of the yellow ones. It's called a lane and you're supposed to stay in your own. Practice that for a while first... " - Dougmo531
PASTAPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSouls View Post
Agreed. I am getting a multimeter today to check the state of the current battery.
My commute is very short under 5 miles each way with a lot of traffic lights in between. I was able to ride it back home. However once I turned of the bike I was not able to turn it on again.
i recommend you get a charger and plug it in every day after you get home to avoid replacing your battery every year
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #20
dmfdmf
Still A Rook

Contributor ++ 1%

Motorcycles: '14 Red V-Strom DL650A
Name: David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
i recommend you get a charger and plug it in every day after you get home to avoid replacing your battery every year
Make sure its not a constant output charger as that will toast the battery. A trickle charge will back off the juice as the battery reaches full charge so it won't overcharge the battery... or... the OP could take the long way to work!
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:52 AM   #21
DarkSouls

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
I do not have a garage. I live in an apartment with underground parking.
Charging it every day seems to be too much of a hassle as I have to unscrew and take battery to my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Make sure its not a constant output charger as that will toast the battery. A trickle charge will back off the juice as the battery reaches full charge so it won't overcharge the battery... or... the OP could take the long way to work!
Yes. I got one of the deltran battery tender plus. When I checked the dead battery with MM it read 11.1V. It is currently hooked up with the green light blinking in 3 hours after being plugged in.

Last edited by DarkSouls; 03-14-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #22
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards (03 for sale),YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
If it fires right up without much cranking I'd expect 5 miles to be enough to charge it... but go for a longer ride every now and then if possible.

Once your battery is charged, put it back in the bike and start the bike. Check voltage at idle. Check voltage at 5000rpm (ish).
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
DarkSouls

Name:
So I have installed the battery after I got a full green light from the battery tender.

I think my battery has to be replaced based on the following tests and readings below:

1. After charge(i.e full green light) VDC=12.8 V
2. After 4 hours of just letting it sit at my house( disconnected) VDC=12.72
3. With battery installed on the bike and key turned to igntion( headlight ON) VDC=12.1V
4. With highbeam ON VDC=11.8
5. At start(multiple runs) drops to 7.2-8V . It dropped to 4 V on the final run and it had to crank it multiple times to get the engine started.
6. At 5K rpm VDC=14.5V

With bike set to ignition and headlight ON (Step 3) the VDC was dropping quickly from 12.1 V to 11.8V in a span of 1 minute. Is this something to be concerned about?

At full charge how many runs(ignition start) can I expect from a good battery.
After 4 runs my battery's final voltage at Step 3 reading was 11.5V.

It is a Yuasa lead acid battery (non AGM). I do not know when was this last changed.

To me it looks like the battery is not able to hold charge. Can this test conclusively state that I need a new battery? Probably an AGM one?
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Replace. Don't waste your time fucking with it.

You can get many "starts" from a good battery. The fact that your battery got a green light on a charger doesn't mean it's good.

Just get a new battery. Don't buy a cheapie. You will be replacing it in a year or less. Get a Yuasa, or better a Li-Ion battery.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #25
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
If the battery drops to 8V during the first start, it's toast. All your other readings reflect a good charging system. Lead acid batteries are fine. AGM are also fine. Batteries are expendables. If you ride every day, you don't need a battery tender. If you keep your battery on a tender, it'll last 3 years. If you ride every day it'll last 36 months.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #26
DarkSouls

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Replace. Don't waste your time fucking with it.

You can get many "starts" from a good battery. The fact that your battery got a green light on a charger doesn't mean it's good.

Just get a new battery. Don't buy a cheapie. You will be replacing it in a year or less. Get a Yuasa, or better a Li-Ion battery.
I mentioned the green light to state that I have a fully charged battery from the perspective of battery tender plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
If the battery drops to 8V during the first start, it's toast. All your other readings reflect a good charging system. Lead acid batteries are fine. AGM are also fine. Batteries are expendables. If you ride every day, you don't need a battery tender. If you keep your battery on a tender, it'll last 3 years. If you ride every day it'll last 36 months.
Very well I have order a Yuasa AGM battery. Li-Ion battery a quite expensive.
Appreciate the inputs everyone.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #27
MapleRoad
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Ride it every day, since 36 > 3.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote