Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 05-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #91
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
ATGATT, plus hi-viz for me. I don't care that I look like I'm a screaming yellow zombie, if it keeps me alive and relatively uninjured, I'm good.

As Agent J said, "I make this look good." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOery2pF0NA
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #92
specv510

Motorcycles: FZ-09
Name:
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry to hijack the thread--I'm new and couldn't start a new one.
specv510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #93
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by specv510 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry to hijack the thread--I'm new and couldn't start a new one.
Itís all good ... ur participating
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #94
NeilInPacifica
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 FZ-09 2016 12GS, 2015 Versys 650
Name: Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Whammy seconds the idea of a "Get the Gear " thread.
Best to inform our noobs or re-educate those who don't take their gear serious enough.

I never go near a bike with out gear.
Whammy sez buy the very best for your budget. For god sakes never ever ride without gear.
An easy lesson for anyone considering riding without gear...just enter "motorcycle road rash" into Youtube or Google images. If that doesn't give one pause, they are missing some marbles.
NeilInPacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #95
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Name:
Maybe in the thread we should have some pics of rash and missing chunks of flesh.
Deturent ??
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #96
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Deterrent?

FWIW, there's a thread here on teh BARFs showing road rash. Not for the faint of heart.

Plus, there's the story of the guy that was drunk and took his girlfriend for a ride, popped a wheelie, dumped her off the back, and got me suspended.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Old 05-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #97
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Name:
Spell checker lol
Bring it back if your know where it is.
Reminders that we are not superman might sway some who might think they are.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #98
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by specv510 View Post
And what about boots, pants, jackets & helmets?
You can get an idea of how well various gear items protect from injury here
https://www.georgeinstitute.org/site...gear-study.pdf

It's a survey of motorcycle accidents, injuries and gear worn. It's not perfect as far as establishing how much different items of gear reduce injury, but it's the best I've seen.

From that study, wearing any boots (motorcycle or the other kind) seems much safer than not wearing boots at all, wearing any helmet (open or FF) is much safer than helmetless, wearing armored gloves is much safer than no gloves, wearing armored motorcycle pants is much safer than not wearing motorcycle pants (unarmored motorcycle pants seem to do much less to protect from injury).

The surprising part is riders with a foam back insert were twice as likely to sustain injury than with no back protection at all. OTOH those with a real back protector were slightly less likely to sustain injury than those with no back protector.

That doesn't establish that foam back pads cause injury. But it makes you wonder. I can make a good guess where higher injury rate among foam back pad users comes from.

Anyway back to the topic, 67% of riders without gloves sustained injury vs 35% of riders with armored gloves. It makes proper motorcycle gloves look pretty compelling.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #99
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Back protectors don't prevent your back from contorting into a shape that can damage it.
But then neither do knee or elbow protection but limbs seem to be the body parts that absorb crash impacts.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #100
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

It's the squids that wear a back protector over their wife-beaters that seem to be the disparity. Most riders that wear gear have gear that integrates a back protector of some sort. So you can have a preponderance of back protectors out there and still have other injuries.

And FWIW, a massive collision won't be prevented by a back protector.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #101
Losmeister
Veteran

AMA #: 2979522
Losmeister gives a shit
Contributor ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: 2012 Honda NC700x:AMA#2979522
Name: Carlos
no

In action: Watch the timing.
No fight, no blame.

Lao Tsu
Losmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #102
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 GSXR 600 (track) & 09 Street Triple (street)
Name: Zack
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
You can get an idea of how well various gear items protect from injury here
https://www.georgeinstitute.org/site...gear-study.pdf

It's a survey of motorcycle accidents, injuries and gear worn. It's not perfect as far as establishing how much different items of gear reduce injury, but it's the best I've seen.

From that study, wearing any boots (motorcycle or the other kind) seems much safer than not wearing boots at all, wearing any helmet (open or FF) is much safer than helmetless, wearing armored gloves is much safer than no gloves, wearing armored motorcycle pants is much safer than not wearing motorcycle pants (unarmored motorcycle pants seem to do much less to protect from injury).

The surprising part is riders with a foam back insert were twice as likely to sustain injury than with no back protection at all. OTOH those with a real back protector were slightly less likely to sustain injury than those with no back protector.

That doesn't establish that foam back pads cause injury. But it makes you wonder. I can make a good guess where higher injury rate among foam back pad users comes from.

Anyway back to the topic, 67% of riders without gloves sustained injury vs 35% of riders with armored gloves. It makes proper motorcycle gloves look pretty compelling.

Gear does not make anyone a superhero but also consider your researchers can only analyze the data that is reported. Just like crime, there are many unreported "get offs" that do not involve medical or police reports because people walk away and failed to report. The data is going to be a bit skewed because it will only include people injured enough that medical attention or law enforcement was involved.

But I personally do not need a study. I have fallen off 4 times over the past 30 years and the only reason I have all of my skin, brain cells etc. is because I had full gear on. The outcomes would have been much worse without it.
ZCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #103
BeksNY
Home of the Pinkstich(tm)

Undersecretary of Fun

Motorcycles: 2017 BMW F700 GS; 1997 BMW R850R
Name: Bekah/Beks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCrow View Post
Even in my squid days, I never rode without gloves and a helmet. Anyone that rides without gloves needs to Google "degloving." That will cure it.
Can confirm. Googling "degloving" is not for the faint of heart. After learning about it, I no longer wear my wedding rings on the bike. My other half and I both wear silicone rings instead and have come to prefer them over our metal rings.

"Like a flamingo with wheels." -tzrider
BeksNY is offline   Reply With Quote