Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Couch Racer's Corner

Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
WorldSBK
Rookie

Motorcycles: Kawasaki
Name:
Beaubier, Gagne, Jacobsen

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't remember Jake Gagne and PJ Jacobsen have ever won the AMA Superbike championship. I am glad they are at the World Superbike now.

However, I am wondering why Cameron Beaubier, who has won the AMA Superbike championship twice, and about to win it the 3rd time, has not yet moved to the world level of competition ??

I thought winning the AMA Superbike championship would give a racer more visibility and chance to compete at the world level. I thought winning AMA Superbike would naturally lead a racer to the world stage. But it doesn't look like so.

How does it work ? Any idea ?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
He’s making a nice paycheck in MA and winning. He likely wouldn’t do either in WSBK.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Rumors say there are negotiations for Beaubier to be on a well-supported Yamaha WSBK team next season. Beaubier hasn't yet signed with Graves for 2019.

Gagne is there because he showed promise filling in at Laguna after we lost Nicky Hayden last year. Gagne already had very strong ties to Red Bull and a relationship with Honda. There was interest in having an American in the series so Gagne got the nod. It doesn't look like he will return to WSBK next year.

Jacobsen had a personal sponsor who had ties to the BSB paddock so he got a chance to ride in the British Superstock 1000cc and British superpsort 600 picking a win in each series in the same season. This led to four seasons of racing World Supersport 600 and then WSBK for 2018 with a very low budget and inexperienced team. The WSBK paddock knows Jacobsen well so there is a decent chance of him staying in WSBK or returning to WSS next year.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
DonJigweed
Urban Achiever

3% Contributor

Motorcycles: will kill you
Name:
i want cameron on the 2020 petronas yamaha so at the COTA round he'll get in the thursday press conference and then do this to jorge and marc
DonJigweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
WorldSBK
Rookie

Motorcycles: Kawasaki
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Map8 View Post
Rumors say there are negotiations for Beaubier to be on a well-supported Yamaha WSBK team next season. Beaubier hasn't yet signed with Graves for 2019.

Gagne is there because he showed promise filling in at Laguna after we lost Nicky Hayden last year. Gagne already had very strong ties to Red Bull and a relationship with Honda. There was interest in having an American in the series so Gagne got the nod. It doesn't look like he will return to WSBK next year.

Jacobsen had a personal sponsor who had ties to the BSB paddock so he got a chance to ride in the British Superstock 1000cc and British superpsort 600 picking a win in each series in the same season. This led to four seasons of racing World Supersport 600 and then WSBK for 2018 with a very low budget and inexperienced team. The WSBK paddock knows Jacobsen well so there is a decent chance of him staying in WSBK or returning to WSS next year.
Thank you for sharing.
It's a good thing if Beaubier has a seat in WSBK.
If Gagne lose his seat, then it's not cool. I like him, met him twice, very kind and approachable guy.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Be cool to have Cam go to WSBK with a solid ride and opportunity for success. Jake did not get that and neither did PJ in my opinion.

All three are damn good riders and capable of success. It was cool to see opportunities for them of course, but everyone knew podiums were not likely from their teams. Jake probably had the best shot at seeing one, but even his teammate has not been able to be a consistent challenger.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Map8
Don't H8

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

WSBK commentator Steve English was talking about Jake on the Paddock Pass podcast. He said even though the Red Bull Honda isn't the most advanced in the WSBK paddock, its still a much more sophisticated bike than Gagne was racing in MotoAmerica. As a result, its a challenge for Jake to give feedback because he often tells the team the bike is great after a session because its usually the best bike he's ever ridden.

Thats not a knock on Gagne, who is a very talented rider, it just shows that being able to give good feedback and knowing expectations for the bike important skills a racer needs to develop to make it on that level. It takes time to get there but the teams don't always have time to develop the rider. They need results.

BARF Terms of Service
Old 08-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
What's the story on James Rispoli, who is now riding in BSB? I've not really loved AMA/MA very closely over the years, though since the inception of MA, I've paid a bit more attention.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Map8
Don't H8

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Rispoli was a dirt tracker who did a bunch of WERA races and some AMA/DMG Daytona Sportbike. His dad felt he had a better chance of advancing by racing in BSB. I don't follow BSB closely but he's done well enough to stay in the series for a few seasons now.

BARF Terms of Service
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
Dan Halen
Karasu wa shirodesu

Motorcycles: Super fun ones
Name:
I've heard the rumor Cam is likely going there as well, and unfortunately, NOT on a factory bike. Can't believe Haslam is getting a factory Kawi seat at age 35... WTF!

IMO, Cam can run at the front and he knows how to win races, but gonna be really hard on something thats not factory.

Plus he's literally gonna make about 1/5 or less of what he earns now, plus have to travel like crazy. So kudos to him.
Dan Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
I think Cameron Beaubier should try Moto2. He'd get into a ultra-competitive series in full view of the MotoGP crowd.

Poor Gagne just didn't get an ultra-competitive bike; & finishing 10th-20th is not going to get you much support IMHO. I watched him every time, & you could tell it's a turd bike this year...
Old 08-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
adamysr
Veteran

Motorcycles: honda RS150r
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
I've heard the rumor Cam is likely going there as well, and unfortunately, NOT on a factory bike. Can't believe Haslam is getting a factory Kawi seat at age 35... WTF!

IMO, Cam can run at the front and he knows how to win races, but gonna be really hard on something thats not factory.

Plus he's literally gonna make about 1/5 or less of what he earns now, plus have to travel like crazy. So kudos to him.
Would love to see cam in moto2 as well. If he’s not on a factory bike in wsbk then I don’t think it would be worth it. At least in moto2 the bikes are fairly close and gives us hope of possibly have another talent in GP. Cam’s our best rider and I feel like our best riders should be in GP hands down.