Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #46
Tri750
Mr. Knew it All

Contributor

Motorcycles: Current: '71 BMW R75 Racer, '73 Z1 Racer, '76 BMW R75/6, '99 BMW R1100RT '08 Kymco 200S
Name: Big Al
i see by the bikes picture it has bar-backs.
if you decide to change the brake lines to braided , you’ll need to specify the top line needs to be longer so it will reach . Galfer has a kit already made up with the longer line .
Raymond Chan of Apex Brakes does brake lines for less money than any i’ve seen. i’ve purchased over 20 Airhead front brake lines for resale with great service and results . you might see if he has the RT patterns .
again, specify a longer top line . you may have to provide the length you need for that . the way i contact him is on facebook search . Apex Brakes . (Niagra Falls , NY)
Tri750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #47
mjj
Cookie

Motorcycles: '96 R1100RT
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri750 View Post
i see by the bikes picture it has bar-backs.
if you decide to change the brake lines to braided , youíll need to specify the top line needs to be longer so it will reach . Galfer has a kit already made up with the longer line .
Raymond Chan of Apex Brakes does brake lines for less money than any iíve seen. iíve purchased over 20 Airhead front brake lines for resale with great service and results . you might see if he has the RT patterns .
again, specify a longer top line . you may have to provide the length you need for that . the way i contact him is on facebook search . Apex Brakes . (Niagra Falls , NY)
The man from whom I purchased this bike has about an 8 foot wingspan. Iím a much more normal size. Was planning to remove the extender blocks.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #48
JimE
Rider

AMA #: 3188342
Contributor ++ 4%

Motorcycles: '06 S2R1k, '05 DRZ400S/SM, '98 DR350s, '02 R1150GS, '09 F800GS
Name: Jim
So I've done a thing here and there to the R1150GS that I think apply to you. Some mods to make it pull better off the line, move the torque band down, make the engine smoother and more manageable. Did this to an '01 and then an '02.
-Lennies Rocket Sprockets. Move the torque band a good 500rpm lower with no sacrifice up top.
-Y-pipe. Flow more, cat less. Once again more low end grunt. Bonus material you shed a bunch of weight. Works great with stock can.
-R1200 injectors. Injector Rehab will sell you a matched set with little adapters. About $200. I rarely use the choke anymore. Much more crispness in the throttle. The 1200 units have a lot lore little holes for atomization.
-AF-XIED fuel enrichener. Actually I have a Booster Plug knockoff on my R1150GS I have the AF unit on my F800GS but if I had the cash I would swap that one out. Anyways typical lean mixture needs help....
-Wilbers or Hyperpro set of shocks. Call Ted Porter at Beemershop. About $1500 will get you a decent set. Not cheap but you will be amazed what you can do on such a big bike.

Not a ton more to do with these things. Yours is a little different flavor than mine so season to taste. Should all work as well. Sold my '01 with 93k on the clock for a cleaner '02 with 23k miles. Now at 40k I have a FD bearing failure. Maybe I should have kept the '01? Well the great thing is that ALL this has been done before. I'll be rebuilding my FD at home. Maintenance is a bit like working on a small tractor but fairly straightforward just a PITA. Buy good OEM parts, don't scrimp, do it all on time and you'll ride it over 100k miles no problem.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #49
mjj
Cookie

Name:
Thanks for the tips, Jim. Sounds like you’ve had a lot of fun with your bikes. Somebody else suggested dropping in Wilbers. Right now the greatest performance mod I could do, the low hanging fruit, would be new tires. I’ll live with these lumpy wads for a while just so the joy of the new ones will be all that much greater.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #50
Frisco
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '16 R3 and '11 Versys and '13 FJR
Name: Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj View Post
Thanks for the tips, Jim. Sounds like youíve had a lot of fun with your bikes. Somebody else suggested dropping in Wilbers. Right now the greatest performance mod I could do, the low hanging fruit, would be new tires. Iíll live with these lumpy wads for a while just so the joy of the new ones will be all that much greater.
Finally, a topic I know something about!

Order a set of Angel GT-As from Riders Domain, have them shipped to MotoTireGuy (aka Robbie), schedule an appt., and ride that beauty down to SF for a while you wait mount/balance. Iíll tag along!

CJ
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #51
mjj
Cookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Finally, a topic I know something about!

Order a set of Angel GT-As from Riders Domain, have them shipped to MotoTireGuy (aka Robbie), schedule an appt., and ride that beauty down to SF for a while you wait mount/balance. Iíll tag along!

CJ
Well look what the cat drug in
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #52
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
-Wilbers or Hyperpro set of shocks. Call Ted Porter at Beemershop. About $1500 will get you a decent set. Not cheap but you will be amazed what you can do on such a big bike.
+1

Upgrading the suspension can yield impressive gains in not only performance, but comfort and readability. I did that to my pig of an ST (725 lbs fully gassed and more than the BWM) and the result was remarkable. I felt confident enough to chase a talented AFM rider on his 600 down Jamison Creek road and hung with him from top to bottom.