Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
jonko
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2004 gsxr 600
Name:
Dying of cancer, but I have a dream (18 tracks, 13 countries) - RIP, Jonathan Ko

Who?

My name is Jonathan and I am a long time member of BARF (I bought my first bike from yanabanana over 10 years ago), and admittedly not particularly active since I live in Seattle now. About 2 and a half years ago, I was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma, or bile duct cancer, which is a rare and currently incurable cancer. I have been in treatment every since (twice monthly chemo). The treatments have so far been effective in stabilizing the disease. I am currently relatively healthy and exercise regularly. I have done track days since my diagnosis.
I have always been fascinated by motorcycles. My passion in particular is for the track. I am a fast C pace rider. I have probably done about 10 trackdays in my life.

What?

I would like to ride at all the circuits on the motogp calendar before I die. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty silly, but I guess it would mean something to me.

When?

ASAP, but I would guess next summer season, except perhaps for Phillip Island.

Why?

Before my diagnosis, I had like most people a very standard idea of what I wanted in life. I would get a job, get married, and have some kids. And I think I would have been happy with that too. But cancer has pretty much thrown that all out the window. Those dreams are impossible. For the last 2 years, I have been coasting through life, and going through the motions. I really have no answer to the question: What does this all mean? I know dreams != meaning, but they are at the very least closely related. I want my life to mean something. I want something to live for. I've been inspired by Diana Nyad (Cuba-FL swim), Terry Fox (one legged run across Canada with cancer), and Moin Khan (ride to Pakistan). All amazing journeys, which I am sure have shaped them as people.
I have always been fascinated by motorcycles. ("Motorcycle" was apparently my first word.) I watch motogp and I see these riders with amazing talent, with absolute mastery of their craft. I know I can never hope to ride like that, but when I am at the track, I feel a small spark of what that might be like. Like I said before, this is a small dream, but I think it would mean something to me.

How?

I would like your help. Right now, I think I would just been interested in your advice. Does this make sense at all? Is it feasible? Stupid? Dangerous? Honestly, I haven't really done much research on this. From my 2 mins of searching, I know at least Phillip Island and Qatar offer trackdays. Ideally, I would love to meet some locals that can show me around and that I could perhaps rent a bike from.
If this this idea makes sense, I would really appreciate introductions to people in these countries and hopefully in the motorcycle community.
I have no agenda. I am not trying to raise cancer awareness or whatever. If pressed, I guess my only message would be this: "Are you living the life you want? If not, why not?"

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your input!

Edit: Update at post #112.
Edit: Update for Laguna Seca #137.
Edit: Update for CotA #143.
Edit: Update for Phillip Island #169.
Edit: Update at post #180.
Edit: Update for Mugello #201.
Edit: Update for Jerez #210.

Last edited by jonko; 11-22-2015 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: new post
jonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FZ09
Name: Pete
I think it sounds like a fantastic idea, and one you'll find plenty of support for on BARF. Feasibility will vary depending on finances, logistics (are track days an option at each and every track?), etc. Stupid? Dangerous? Some would say riding in general is stupid and dangerous, let alone hitting every track on the circuit. I don't think this particular idea is any more stupid or dangerous than riding in general.

PM incoming; good luck dude!
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
JENX!!!
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2012 Yamaha R6
Name: Sidney
We all want to do things, but for some lazy reason put them off for later. I hope you get to do your dream soon. I too have been looking at Philip Island track days. They do offer bikes and gear rental so that makes it a easier.
http://www.phillipislandridedays.com...rd_whatsitcost
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Jon... Go for it.

You have no doubt had a life altering two years. The next two riding as many of the GP tracks in the world and meeting new people is no doubt life altering as well. If it is the passion then that is where you will find life. Good life. Life with living.

Take a camera and note pad and me along please. I will be a worthy reader. No doubt.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Spec-ECU
required protocol

SBK Slut / AMA #3287659
BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor ++ 1%
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 02 STK-spec YZF-R1 . 66 Suzuki K15 . 11 Sachs MadAss . 07 Triumph Speed Triple
Name: Dennis
Let's make it happen.
Spec-ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Spec-ECU
required protocol

SBK Slut / AMA #3287659
BARF Moderator
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor ++ 1%
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 02 STK-spec YZF-R1 . 66 Suzuki K15 . 11 Sachs MadAss . 07 Triumph Speed Triple
Name: Dennis
Let me start you off with this:

I know Laguna Seca hosted its last MotoGP race this year, and who knows when/if MotoGP will return to this circuit. But if you want to still include Laguna Seca in your list, then just make it back down here, and your trackday is on me, and you can ride my track work horse - a 2007 Yamaha R1 - carte blanche.

I'll even ride with you the whole day, C Group or not, if you think that will make your time and experience out in the track that much better. Or I can just be your pit bitch, for that whole professional rider experience; your own pit area, me waiting to roll the bike for you on the stands at the end of your sessions, your own pimp chair, a work table to put the bike on during lunch so it looks like we're working on it, and I'll even have a clipboard with fake data to look like we're working on set up. You can make exaggerated motions with your arms as to what the bike's doing, to complete the look.

Dead serious. Print this if you need to, cash in whenever you're ready.

Spec-ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Idioteque

Contributor + 1.25%

Motorcycles: NC700X
Name: Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinncere View Post

I know Laguna Seca hosted its last MotoGP race this year, and who knows when/if MotoGP will return to this circuit. But if you want to still include Laguna Seca in your list, then just make it back down here, and your trackday is on me, and you can ride my track work horse - a 2007 Yamaha R1 - carte blanche.

I'll even ride with you the whole day, C Group or not, if you think that will make your time and experience out in the track that much better. Or I can just be your pit bitch, for that whole professional rider experience; your own pit area, me waiting to roll the bike for you on the stands at the end of your sessions, your own pimp chair, a work table to put the bike on during lunch so it looks like we're working on it, and I'll even have a clipboard with fake data to look like we're working on set up. You can make exaggerated motions with your arms as to what the bike's doing, to complete the look.

I fuckin' love you guys here.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
ohio
Veteran

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Lucy, Nori, Bruche, and Ripley
Name: Marc
Go for it, brother. You're going to have a blast.
ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
badandy
Rookie

Motorcycles: VTR1000F SHawk, '04 RC51
Name:
Quote:

That is VERY Cool!
badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
phocup
Veteran

Contributor + + 6.5%

Motorcycles: 09 SVS
Name:
Quote:

and another
phocup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
xl1200r
Rookie

Motorcycles: 05 xl1250r
Name: Leo
Quote:

very generous...
xl1200r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
Your dream is awesome! How can we help?

Sinncere... your offer makes me smile.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Brown81
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Gone.
Name:

sub'd
Brown81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
rugbydawg13
MoreTitaniumThanMyBikes

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2010 848, 2015 R3, 2007 CRF250, 2003 SV650
Name:
Do it! I was just telling my girlfriend that if we won the lottery, I'd go on tour with MotoGP for the whole year. Actually riding those tracks is even cooler.
AFM #771
"I wear a normal guy costume all the time. I take it off when I get to the track with the rest of you nuts."
rugbydawg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory
Name: Duncan
Hi Jonathan, sorry to hear of your troubles.
I say yes, go forth and ride the great tracks of the world! Live large, meet great folks along the way, deal with your setbacks that may come and relish all of it !
Maybe you could journal and share your ups and downs on a blog for others to follow? Please remember,you are important in ways yet to be shown .
So I say GO FOR IT and let those who can, help along the way.
Really looking forward to how this all unfolds for you
DT