Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #451
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
been riding 55 of my 62 years (except the last couple due to massive health issues.) I will never quit being an enthusiast; motorcycling & motorcyclists has given so much to me over the long decades, I can never forget.

I still plan on getting back aboard soon as I'm able.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #452
DocWong
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++++++

Motorcycles: One for every occasion!
Name: Harry Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
been riding 55 of my 62 years (except the last couple due to massive health issues.) I will never quit being an enthusiast; motorcycling & motorcyclists has given so much to me over the long decades, I can never forget.

I still plan on getting back aboard soon as I'm able.
Good on you! Yes, as we ride we have to take care of our bikes and other “equipment” like our bodies!

Go to www.docwong.com for more info on the Doc Wong (free) Riding Clinics! and on Doc's crash on Mines Road.

To get the latest announcements on my Riding Clinics subscribe to the Doc-Ride Mail-list by e-mailing your e-mail address to:

docwong@aol.com
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #453
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
I started riding before I was born. My mother had a Triumph Tiger Cub that she rode until she was 7 months pregnant ...

As a rider, I began close to 35 years ago.

2 weeks ago I rode to from San Jose to Las Vegas via Sonora Pass and Death Valley - 599 miles in 10 hours.

Clearly it is too soon for me to stop riding. But maybe I'll take a long hard look at a modern sidecar unit first, or a trike if I am desperate. The joy of riding has never eased for me so far.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 AM   #454
Pushrod
Veteran

Motorcycles: VTR, R100RS,CB500
Name:
Eventually you get to the point where it's too late to stop riding.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #455
Husky44

Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000
Name:
Been riding 52 of my 60-years. Got t-boned in a parking lot two-years ago (first street accident in 42-years of riding). Thought it was time to give up the street (bike totaled-ambulance ride) at that time but less than six months later bought another new bike.

I've been hurt worse riding and racing dirt over the 50-years, so why not keep going while I can. I'm always happy when on the bike, off the bike not so much.
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #456
oldapeman
Rookie My A$$!

Motorcycles: Old and fun one.
Name:
OP here, back on the site after not posting for a long time. The bad news is I sold all my old Kawasakis after a reduction in seat time after getting whammed a few years back in a low speed hit by a driver too impatient to look when changing lanes. There is a thread about that on here somewhere. The good news is I bought a very nice old 1986 Yamaha Radian YX600 to continue local riding here in Petaluma and nearby areas. Even though I am now 69, I could not give up riding after 54 years on a motorcycle. Plus my GF has also been riding motorcycles since she was very young, and recently bought a 300 cc Vespa to commute to work and ride for fun with me. We don't hit the freeways anymore, but enjoy a 10 or 20 mile run around the back roads of Sonoma County as often as we can. I will try to post a pic of my latest ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yamaha 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	501775  
My latest is my around town and country on a pristine 1986 Yamaha Radian YX600. Prior bikes during the last ten years are 4 KAWASAKIS: 1980 KZ750H DOHC 4 w/108,000 miles (daily rider across the Bay Bridge); 1980 KZ750E DOHC 4 w/27,000 miles; and another 1981 KZ750H DOHC 4 (a cafe project); and a 1993 ZG1000 Concours.

Last edited by oldapeman; 11-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: add pic
oldapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #457
rcgldr
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2001 Hayabusa
Name:
It depends on the individual and their general state of health. Putting age into perspective, note that Paul Newman was one of the drivers on a winning team in a LeMans type race when he was 70 years old. He continued racing into his 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Newman#Auto_racing

and there's Doug Gregory, oldest stunt pilot, who retired at 90:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-age-90.html

Last edited by rcgldr; 11-14-2017 at 03:38 PM..
rcgldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #458
stunna
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Panigale V4S. Scrambler Cafe Racer.
Name: JOON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
I don't know that I'll ever walk away, but I do plan on changing my riding habits in such a way that the risk is minimized. By commuting in my truck rather than on my bike, I'm already doing it...
This.

I quit riding 6+ years ago after an accident that I deemed was impossible to avoid short of not riding that afternoon. I'm sure I posted it on barf somewhere...

But I've decided to get back into riding, mainly to get back to the racetrack. And I do plan to ride very modestly on the street THIS time.

And this might just support your decision OP...sure scares the poop out of me. http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...1#post10023524

Last edited by stunna; 02-10-2018 at 09:09 AM..
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #459
motorider365
Rookie

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Z125 Pro
Name: Matt
This one doesn't need to go more than just a personal decision. Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough, and it can be a similar discussion on when we should stop driving a car or riding any motorcycle. There are personal risks and limitations that have to be considered. When do we stop doing anything, or should we even have the conversation in the first place?
motorider365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #460
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
A conversation with yourself yes.
A conversation with the wife.... Is optional

My wife has already said.. "Hey your getting a bit old to do this you should consider quitting"

I was "WHAT??.. this is the best activity for keeping me young. When I feel I cannot do it I will quit"

She did not like that much, but accepted it after pointing to the door
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #461
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I'm signed up for 30+ trackdays this year and celebrating with fresh paint and bodywork, motor, and suspension refresh.

It's a struggle every year. I work out all winter to keep in shape, and all the rest of the year to stay there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gsxr new paint.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	505386  
Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #462
Cyclesuzy
Proud Pissant Squid

Mod Alumni
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 CB500F
Name: HT
I find myself doing other things rather than riding and expect to sell my bike as soon as practical. I bought it in 2015 and have put very little miles on it. It's bittersweet but if things change again, I can always get another little bike.

Official Button-popper of TPW

Be polite and civil, but wary ...
Miri/Lylith

“No artist is pleased.”
“But then there is no satisfaction?”
“No satisfaction whatever at any time ... There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”
Cyclesuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #463
oldapeman
Rookie My A$$!

Motorcycles: Old and fun one.
Name:
OP here, coming up on my 70th BD in 82 days, and still riding, latest time this morning. IT IS THE BEST MOOD ENHANCING EXPERIENCE EVER, except maybe for sex with the right partner, which is a little better.
My latest is my around town and country on a pristine 1986 Yamaha Radian YX600. Prior bikes during the last ten years are 4 KAWASAKIS: 1980 KZ750H DOHC 4 w/108,000 miles (daily rider across the Bay Bridge); 1980 KZ750E DOHC 4 w/27,000 miles; and another 1981 KZ750H DOHC 4 (a cafe project); and a 1993 ZG1000 Concours.
oldapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #464
brichter
Spun out freakshow

AMA #: 1108554
Contributor +++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Fast & Dirty!
Name: ID Thief!
I'm in awe. My stepdad's about ready to turn 83, he got rid of his Yamaha about a year ago because he won a Harley in a raffle. Still riding several times a week.

Originally posted by Cruisingram
You know, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
it doesn't matter whose fault it was when you're lying in the graveyard.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #465
Pushrod
Veteran

Motorcycles: VTR, R100RS,CB500
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldapeman View Post
OP here, coming up on my 70th BD in 82 days, and still riding, latest time this morning. IT IS THE BEST MOOD ENHANCING EXPERIENCE EVER, except maybe for sex with the right partner, which is a little better.
Hitting 70 and still "hitting it" ? Hot damn, 70 is the new thirty and I am so going to follow the trend.

Last edited by Pushrod; 08-11-2018 at 01:23 AM..
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote