Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Land Use/OHV Parks

Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Brewster

Motorcycles: KLX300
Name:
C.A.R.B. and MC emissions; the study, the future of Red Stickers

There was a meeting today in Sac. with the California Air Resources Board to give the public information on the OHV emissions program. Here's a link to the information presented:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...inal_print.pdf

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA

Last edited by Butch; 06-04-2017 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Announce study content
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big Ones, Little One, Dirty Ones
Name: John
Hmmmmm....

Looks like the path to the end of using "racing" motorcycles for recreational use.

I do hate the EPA ... and CARB.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
So they are planning to do away with the red sticker program, does that mean all current red sticker bikes will be given green stickers and competition bikes will be hard to get in future? Maybe will force factories to make the CRF, YZF, etc... to be emissions compliant and able to register for road use...

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
mbrick
Rookie

Motorcycles: KTM's...
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKruser View Post
So they are planning to do away with the red sticker program, does that mean all current red sticker bikes will be given green stickers and competition bikes will be hard to get in future? Maybe will force factories to make the CRF, YZF, etc... to be emissions compliant and able to register for road use...
I read the contrary and that they would try to ban all current red sticker bikes since they were intended for competition use anyway. Doubt it would stand from a legal standpoint.

But, at this point, your guess is as good as mine. Sure would be nice if they eliminated red sticker altogether.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Brewster

Motorcycles: KLX300
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
I read the contrary and that they would try to ban all current red sticker bikes since they were intended for competition use anyway. Doubt it would stand from a legal standpoint.
Current red stickered OHV's would most likely be grandfathered into future legislation and not banned. Future emission level requirements could eliminate the sales of NEW non-compliant vehicles. C.A.R.B. can only set emission standards.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 00KTM250MXC, 01TM250, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
I just edited Bruce's title; the attached study is quite interesting.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
wilit
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 SV650 '01 WR250
Name: Ryan
My take from it was once the red sticker program sunsets, those bikes would green sticker like they did with ATVs. Yay for current red sticker owners.

However... And this is a big however... My interpretation on this is there is going to be a major crackdown on new bikes being able to be sold and registered in CA if they don't meet the new emissions standards. Brands like KTM and Beta have kind of stepped up and moving forward are only going to offer 4-stroke bikes that meet road legal emissions standards which far exceeds those requirements of green sticker emissions. If a bike doesn't meet the new standard, I got the impression it would not be allowed for sale in CA.

It looks like they're going to tighten up the requirements for "competition only" bikes and I'm sure there's probably going to be a requirement to show your involvement in racing to be able to purchase and keep the bike in CA.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
ninjazx6d

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
Name: Joseph
I contacted Cassie Lopina at CARB to clarify how the red sticker program would end and this was her response that she sent to me yesterday:

Quote:
Our plan for ending the red sticker program is to sunset it in two steps. First, the sale of new sticker vehicles will be prohibited. This will simply mean that all new vehicles sold must meet existing green sticker standards. Next, we will end riding restrictions on existing vehicles. This means that some date in the future all current red sticker vehicles will be awarded a green sticker and can be used anywhere all year long.

Hopefully this information eases your concerns about existing red sticker vehicles. Our goal is not to penalize riders, but to create a better program where all OHVs can be used year round!

That was music to my ears I was thinking of selling my 2008 200 XC-W, but I might keep it now.

I also asked if the 2018 KTM fuel-injected 2-strokes would be green sticker, and this was her response:

Quote:
I am very excited about KTM’s fuel injected 4-stroke technology. We are looking forward to working with KTM to hopefully test one of these vehicles in our emissions lab. I am not sure if they plan to certify the vehicle as red or green sticker now, but I recently saw one in person and they looked really promising!
ninjazx6d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
Sdiii

Motorcycles: '15 R3 '16 KTM 690 Enduro R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjazx6d View Post
I contacted Cassie Lopina at CARB to clarify how the red sticker program would end and this was her response that she sent to me yesterday:

That was music to my ears I was thinking of selling my 2008 200 XC-W, but I might keep it now.

I also asked if the 2018 KTM fuel-injected 2-strokes would be green sticker, and this was her response:
Thank you for this information! This is awesome!
Sdiii is offline   Reply With Quote