Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
mfisch707

Motorcycles: 2016 FJ-09, 2005 ZX6-R, 1992 DR250s
Name:
I started out in C group in the morning and moved up to B after lunch. In C I was only able to manage about a 1:25-1:30 and felt constantly held up, in B was right around 1:15-1:20 and it felt middle of the road for pace.

EDIT: for the full west course I run 1:35-1:40 in B, only done the east course a couple times and run around 2:20-2:30.

Running Bridgestone S21's on a ZX6R.

Last edited by mfisch707; 04-16-2018 at 11:38 AM..
mfisch707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SMR
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisch707 View Post
I started out in C group in the morning and moved up to B after lunch. In C I was only able to manage about a 1:25-1:30 and felt constantly held up, in B was right around 1:15-1:20 and it felt middle of the road for pace.
As someone who bumped from C, did you feel confident setting up to pass people or did you hang back or pit?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassem View Post
Guys, do me a solid and don't make history by getting bapped for a post in 'Trackdays'.
history is made by the bold!
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #19
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
history is made by the bold!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
mfisch707

Motorcycles: 2016 FJ-09, 2005 ZX6-R, 1992 DR250s
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumph4x View Post
As someone who bumped from C, did you feel confident setting up to pass people or did you hang back or pit?
Felt fairly confident, but I take a rather slow approach to passing. Usually set up and follow someone for a few corners to get a feel for the line they're running, but on the west with the bypass a few corners can be half a lap.

B felt miles safer than C group. I've got some gopro footage of about 15 bikes 3 wide going into turn 4. I stayed back from that scrum.

I've run B several times on the west before, was coming back from a crash and broken collarbone last year and wanted to take it easy.
mfisch707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #21
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumph4x View Post
There is a very concrete answer to my question. I'm just asking for your experience at the track. Unclear to me why that's not a contribution folks want to make.
Ok, in a sense you're right. There is an answer to your question. The issue is that your question doesn't mean much in a trackday environment because of the different bikes and skill sets on the track together. Most people follow the trackday provider's recommendations for lap times and grouping.

To answer your question..... I ride a crippled R6 and turn 2:03-2:05s on the big track in A group. I am comfortable making passes in any group. I generally don't pass underneath at trackdays because I don't want to wash someone out at what is essentially a practice/fun event. I'll usually save passes for the outside of 2/3/5b or on the brakes into 9/10/14.

I don't like the West track and have never timed myself around that track.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #22
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Ok, in a sense you're right. There is an answer to your question. The issue is that your question doesn't mean much in a trackday environment because of the different bikes and skill sets on the track together. Most people follow the trackday provider's recommendations for lap times and grouping.

To answer your question..... I ride a crippled R6 and turn 2:03-2:05s on the big track in A group. I am comfortable making passes in any group. I generally don't pass underneath at trackdays because I don't want to wash someone out at what is essentially a practice/fun event. I'll usually save passes for the outside of 2/3/5b or on the brakes into 9/10/14.

You don't pass on the throttle on the front straight?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #23
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #24
ReUnited
Trackday is NOT a race!

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: track and dirt
Name: Frank
Quote:

Pretty much everything is same for me, with a difference in laptimes and motorcycle, I do ~1:57-1:59 around east on stock RSV4R. In addition to what Nick mentioned above, I pass a lot on outside of 1 and inside before 8. And I don't like west too.

Not sure why you need this kind of a detailed info to make decision which group to ride in, but on any given track day any of us can be a fastest guy out there or be a moving obstacle, so you have to be able to make that call and ride in an appropriate to your pace group.

Hope this helps somehow.

Last edited by ReUnited; 04-16-2018 at 07:48 PM..
ReUnited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #25
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReUnited View Post
Pretty much everything is same for me, with a difference in laptimes and motorcycle, I do ~1:57-1:59 around east on stock RSV4R. In addition to what Nick mentioned above, I pass a lot on outside of 1 and inside before 8. And I don't like west too.

Not sure why you need this kind of a detailed info to make decision which group to ride in, but on any given track day any of us can be a fastest guy out there or a be a moving obstacle, so you have to be able to make that call and ride in an appropriate to your pace group.

Hope this helps somehow.
Nobody really *needs* anything, all just curiosity and making informed decisions as I get back into the scene. I hear your point on adjusting groups mid-day, been on both sides of the fence.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #26
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
You don't pass on the throttle on the front straight?
Only on the Ninjettes in the 450SB race since we’re gridded with 250SS and 300WSS! Or the bicycles and Razor scooters in pit lane.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #27
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Only on the Ninjettes in the 450SB race since we’re gridded with 250SS and 300WSS! Or the bicycles and Razor scooters in pit lane.
I remember those glory days, when Vintage gridded with 250 Proddy and after four laps we Vintage guys would start lapping the twofiddies.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #28
Toad
Squirrel

Motorcycles: RMZ450 SV650s KX125
Name: Dave
3/30/18 on East I ran 2:17 on my SV650 in B group

4/15/18 on West Reverse I ran 1:15 in light rain in B-group on the same bike..

I signed up for A group next time.. Kegwins next Monday and FTD in May, both West Reverse.

Last edited by Toad; 04-17-2018 at 08:13 PM..
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #29
Lagwagonlead
Rookie

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisch707 View Post

EDIT: for the full west course I run 1:35-1:40 in B, only done the east course a couple times and run around 2:20-2:30.

Running Bridgestone S21's on a ZX6R.
Just wondering, what were your lap times on Sunday (reverse)? I was only there on Sunday and wondering if I should have moved up as most of my time was spent figuring out how to get around people, but there were also a few quicker guys out there too. I was running 1:28's in the morning on my SV650 and 1:24's on my DRZ400SM in the afternoon. Both bikes on PP 2CT's.
Lagwagonlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #30
gokes
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2017 KTM Duke 690
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
3/30/18 on East I ran 2:17 on my SV650 in B group

4/15/18 on West Reverse I ran 1:15 in light rain in B-group on the same bike..

I signed up for A group next time.. Kegwins next Monday and FTD in May, both West Reverse.
Just a heads up - Keigwins is running West Reverse on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday are on the East w/ Ken Hill.
gokes is offline   Reply With Quote