Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #31
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post
Dubbelju? Worn out, high mileage former rentals. No thanks.
Is it possible you'd consider only commenting when you actually know what you're talking about?

First, Dubbelju's bikes are well-maintained and hardly "worn-out," probably better maintained than many private party bikes. But go ahead and talk your uninformed shit about a local business that supports the riding communityóthere's no penalty for you, right?

Second, the suggestion wasn't even to buy a bike there, but to rent bikes to try them out.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #32
Z3n
Squid.

Contributor +++++ 2%

Motorcycles: help me prove my commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Name:
Before you consider the MV Agustas, worth knowing that all of the 800cc engines have pretty serious starter sprag issues. Given your baseline, I'd suggest going to every dealership in the Bay Area and seeing what you can snag a test ride on.

FJ-09 is another good choice, if you want something a bit more touring oriented, can't go wrong with the Street Triple lines, and then there's the whole line of Aprilia, KTM, Ducati, Ninja 1000, etc, that fit your use case and budget.
Z3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #33
Siris
Rookie

Motorcycles: ‘17 Tuono
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
After riding a Ninja 650 for a couple of years, I'm going to suggest that an MT-10, S1000R, Monster 1200R, or CB1000R might not be the best upgrade. Even with all the electronic rider aides, those bikes can be a handful to ride...

Probably true. However, another issue for me also is after sitting on a few liter bikes, I have noticed they are also a tad tall for me where I am standing with both feet just on the part between tip toes and balls of my feet (about 5í8Ē with 30 inch inseam). I donít need to flat foot but would be nice if I can stand on the balls of my feet. Will make walking the bike forward/backward when parking and stopping in weird surfaces easier. I guess I could get used to anything but itís a nice luxury to have .
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #34
Siris
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
Haha I keep wondering this too. On days Iím bored I wonder what Iíll upgrade to from my Ď14 675 street triple r. Rode a buddies s1000r. Had the best brake lever and feel on any bike Iíve ridden. Super smooth fueling and chassis but the engine was just meh. Plenty of power but triples, twins, v4s have so much character. Felt like it didnít have any of that.

Plus how hard are they to work on yourself? My neighbor has a 1200gs told me the abs system requires bleeding the brakes in 4 or 5 different areas. Is that true for all beemers?

To op - not sure you want to wait but Iím interested to see what the duke 790 is all about too. Slightly less power but my biggest complaint with my 675 is getting torque way sooner than 6k rpm. My understanding is that the 765 rs motor maximized too end more so than bottom end but i havenít gotten a chance to ride one so donít know for sure. Wonder if the twin would make that happen.
I was thinking that coming from Ninja 650 with 3k torque around 49 Nm (peaking at 60) vs ST RS 3k torque of around 62 N-m (peaking to 77) wasnít going to be much of an upgrade for street riding. However, figured it was still relatively significant. I actually find power/torque to be pretty decent on the 650 so RS should be plenty. Canít miss what I donít know yet!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #35
Siris
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3n View Post
Before you consider the MV Agustas, worth knowing that all of the 800cc engines have pretty serious starter sprag issues. Given your baseline, I'd suggest going to every dealership in the Bay Area and seeing what you can snag a test ride on.

FJ-09 is another good choice, if you want something a bit more touring oriented, can't go wrong with the Street Triple lines, and then there's the whole line of Aprilia, KTM, Ducati, Ninja 1000, etc, that fit your use case and budget.
Thanks for your suggestions. The only bike I had considered from Aprilia was the Tuono. However, new, it will def break my budget. But what a beaut! Maybe itís worth it hah.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #36
FreeRyde
SuperFast&Experienced

Contributor +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Wee,FLHTCUI,XR-L,TTR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post
Dubbelju? Worn out, high mileage former rentals. No thanks.
Dubbelju's bikes are anything but worn out... They are often only in the fleet for 1 year, usually less than 40k miles and are rigorously serviced. Most of them look and ride as new!...

But please, tell me how good the Dr650 is.
Unsympathetic Dick
FreeRyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #37
East Bay Blake

Motorcycles: Aprilia, KTM, Ducati
Name:
See if you can still find a leftover Tuono. A co-worker and me each picked up 2016 V4ís last year. Amazing machines. Heís under 6í tall and has no issues putting feet down. Electronic aids are there if you need them of course. The STriple is no slouch either. Always a fun problem to have deciding on a new bike. I was out the door for under $15k. He swooped in and got a sweetheart of a deal for $2k less...😢
East Bay Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #38
Siris
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Blake View Post
See if you can still find a leftover Tuono. A co-worker and me each picked up 2016 V4ís last year. Amazing machines. Heís under 6í tall and has no issues putting feet down. Electronic aids are there if you need them of course. The STriple is no slouch either. Always a fun problem to have deciding on a new bike. I was out the door for under $15k. He swooped in and got a sweetheart of a deal for $2k less...😢
This is from Evolution or another dealer?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #39
Jalopyshoppe
idiot

Motorcycles: FXR thing, Buell Ulysses, Honda CRF250 Rally, Hawk GT's , and various others.
Name: Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj View Post
Is it possible you'd consider only commenting when you actually know what you're talking about?
But then he'd never be able to say anything.
Jalopyshoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #40
East Bay Blake

Name:
I went to Elk Grove Powersports, itís a bit of a distance but they were willing to work with me. Theyíre also a MV and Triumph dealer. But have a look around a bit and you will find some Tuonoís. I noticed Rockridge Two Wheels had a demo 2017 knocked down in cost as well on their site. Thereís also a dealer in Santa Monica offering a new 2017 for $12,900. So, there are deals out there.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #41
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
The Tuono is a kickass bike indeed, its rider aids are excellent, and they can be had for deals... but it's in a whole 'nother world from the Street Triple RS—we're talking another 50+ HP on top of the Street Triple RS. It's a massive leap on top of the already substantial jump from a Ninja 650 to the RS.

Yes, a responsible new rider can ride either—not looking to debate that again—but I wouldn't point just any rider with two years' experience at a Tuono as their next step, and it's silly to act like those two bikes are similar or comparable.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #42
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

Contributor

Motorcycles: '18 Street Triple RS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surj View Post
The Tuono is a kickass bike indeed, its rider aids are excellent, and they can be had for deals... but it's in a whole 'nother world from the Street Triple RS—we're talking another 50+ HP on top of the Street Triple RS. It's a massive leap on top of the already substantial jump from a Ninja 650 to the RS.

Yes, a responsible new rider can ride either—not looking to debate that again—but I wouldn't point just any rider with two years' experience at a Tuono as their next step, and it's silly to act like those two bikes are similar or comparable.
Yup - probably sound like a broken record at this point but i downgraded from a Tuono to a Street Triple R 675 and couldn't be happier.

Sure i miss that v4 power sometimes and the fueling, good god that fueling was butter and so were the brembos - but i never felt comfortable on that bike - it was bigger and heavier and just took a lot of precision to ride it. Street triple r is way more forgiving but still tactical as you want it to be at high speed and spirited riding in the tight stuff.

The biggest different is really out of corner drives - the Tuono gives you gobs of power in any gear, pretty much at any RPM (though it likes high revs significantly better) - the STR - if you had to scrub speed going into a corner and you're now at 4k looking to go full throttle out - you'll be reading a book waiting for the torque and power to kick in at 7k rpm.

Because of this - you have to shift a lot more - quickshifter adds a lot of fun to the bike and some convenience but man - i'd spend some coin to get an auto blipper when i'm in the twisties if i could lol
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #43
East Bay Blake

Name:
Probably good to go the STriple route if newish rider. Also, bought some more lane splitting stickers Surj. Good reminder on your signature line.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #44
Siris
Rookie

Name:
I test rode the Triple RS. Great bike! Really enjoyed taking it for a spin. Love the brakes/suspension on it, even for street riding. OTD, coming around $15.7k, a full $3.2k over MSPR. Maybe that's the way with Triumph pricing, especially for a high demand bike.

Looks like I cannot test ride any new Japanese bikes. I was told by a salesman that Japanese bikes cannot be test ridden in California from a dealer... did not realize that. Although I did get my Ninja 650 without test riding. This time, I won't buy one without test riding first so may have to wait for a demo day later in summer. Z900, XSR900, and maybe the upcoming CB1000R if I have enough patience to wait for its release, are a few Japanese I am now considering.

I sat on a S1000R. They didn't have a demo bike at that time so will have to go back for a demo ride. But at stand still, found it tall and heavy. The Triple RS is probably as tall but its so light it feels easier to manage. I may test ride it anyway, just to see how it is. Although, def won't buy new as its outside my budget with fees & taxes.

The 800 Dragster, I will have to see when I will get around to a dealer to sit/test ride as one is not super close by here in South Bay. California Speed Sports may be the closest one.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #45
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tard,YZ426tard
Name: Daniel
While Japanese bike dealers don't tend to do demos, it's up to the individual dealer.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote