Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alt-California
Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits Italian stallion
Name:
Fascinating but tragic story.

The USS Thresher.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-sub-loss.html

Those brave souls knew for a time they were doomed. Maybe one day the secrets will be known.

http://www.fosters.com/news/20180403...-still-matters
__________________
Its only good when you're getting it, everything else is a promise or a memory.

While the catalyst for my post might be yours, its directed at the idea, not the person.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example
 
MysterYvil's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Erehwon (Shangri-La)
Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
RIP to those test pilots of the sea.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Yakoo752
USN
 
Yakoo752's Avatar
 
AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
The USS Thresher.
Those brave souls knew for a time they were doomed. Maybe one day the secrets will be known.
We talked about the Thresher and what caused its demise often. End result, a lot of failure and likely pride.

The problem with submarines is once the casualty starts there is a very short window of time to resolve.

My first casualty was a fire in the engine room from an air dehydrator. The response time from the crew was seconds. It was impressive. We stayed out to sea

My second casualty was a fire in the AMR. If I thought the response time above was impressive, a fire next to the O2 generator puts some real pep in your step. We stayed out to sea

My third casualty was the one where a singular change in events could have crumpled the can. It was a series of unfortunate events. We were out preparing for ORSE and we’re operating at a rapid pace. We had run some electrical evolutions in the evening and had depleted the battery. We ran a scram drill while at PD and when spinning up the diesel someone saw fire blow out the plenum and called it. This instantly shuts down the diesel and results in a flooded diesel that is not operable. So there we were with no reactor, no diesel, and little battery. We surfaced rapidly and brought the reactor back online, which takes hours. We limped back to port and had a very long debrief with the admiral. New procedures were created to prevent what occurred from happening again.
__________________
IMPERIUM NEPTUNI REGIS-Member of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of Trusty Shellbacks
Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha
Team Triple Threat
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2
 
SpeedyCorky's Avatar
 
Contributor +++++2%

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East Bay Area
Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
well at least it was quick, granted the whole waiting for the inevitable prolly wasnt too fun RIP
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonster
Don't worry about the whiners. This is teh BARF.
* The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
* In real life, the tortoise gets smoked.

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Mike95060
Figured it out!
 
Mike95060's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor +

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Santa Cruz
Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
We talked about the Thresher and what caused its demise often. End result, a lot of failure and likely pride.

The problem with submarines is once the casualty starts there is a very short window of time to resolve.

My first casualty was a fire in the engine room from an air dehydrator. The response time from the crew was seconds. It was impressive. We stayed out to sea

My second casualty was a fire in the AMR. If I thought the response time above was impressive, a fire next to the O2 generator puts some real pep in your step. We stayed out to sea

My third casualty was the one where a singular change in events could have crumpled the can. It was a series of unfortunate events. We were out preparing for ORSE and we’re operating at a rapid pace. We had run some electrical evolutions in the evening and had depleted the battery. We ran a scram drill while at PD and when spinning up the diesel someone saw fire blow out the plenum and called it. This instantly shuts down the diesel and results in a flooded diesel that is not operable. So there we were with no reactor, no diesel, and little battery. We surfaced rapidly and brought the reactor back online, which takes hours. We limped back to port and had a very long debrief with the admiral. New procedures were created to prevent what occurred from happening again.
Is a casualty defined as a hurt boat or a hurt person ?
__________________
DARE MIGHTY THINGS
Mike95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alt-California
Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits Italian stallion
Name:
Not too sure about quick. The implosion was but I bet the minutes sinking past test depth was agonizingly long.

The sailors who serve in subs are a special kind. There are the jokes about jumping from perfectly good aircraft but to climb into a tube and sit under oceans, that takes people who fill the pouch underwear tight.
__________________
Its only good when you're getting it, everything else is a promise or a memory.

While the catalyst for my post might be yours, its directed at the idea, not the person.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Yakoo752
USN
 
Yakoo752's Avatar
 
AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
Is a casualty defined as a hurt boat or a hurt person ?
hurt boat

fire, flooding, loss of ____ equipment are all described as a casualty

Only US submarine human casualty in recent times was 05 when the USS San Fran ran into an underwater mountain. I became a paramedic because of this.
__________________
IMPERIUM NEPTUNI REGIS-Member of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of Trusty Shellbacks
Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha
Team Triple Threat
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Yakoo752
USN
 
Yakoo752's Avatar
 
AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
Not too sure about quick. The implosion was but I bet the minutes sinking past test depth was agonizingly long.

The sailors who serve in subs are a special kind. There are the jokes about jumping from perfectly good aircraft but to climb into a tube and sit under oceans, that takes people who fill the pouch underwear tight.
They weren't sitting around playing twiddly sticks. They were doing everything in their power to reach the surface. I bet they were too involved in the evolution to even think. The majority didn't see it coming.

only tall people know what depth you are at
__________________
IMPERIUM NEPTUNI REGIS-Member of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of Trusty Shellbacks
Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha
Team Triple Threat
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I remember when this happened. Rickover was the Golden Boy of the Navy for quite a while.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Climber
Ride to live
 
Climber's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: 02 F4i
Name: Brett
I worked at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where it got built and was testing out of following an overhaul. It was still a sore point there 22 years later, they had a memorial to the USS Thresser where you passed it every day you came in for work as a reminder.

One thing that always bothered me when I worked there, if you went to the BOQ lunch hall after the workers had been there, you'd see tables stacked with beer bottles from the workers lunch, it wasn't uncommon to see as many as 4 beer bottles/mugs (sometimes more) at a single place. I couldn't help wondering how many of those people had worked on the Thresher and whether they had the same habit back when they were working on it.
__________________
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidentsj**NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

Hollywood depends on the suspension of disbelief. Trump depends on the suspension of critical thinking skills.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Yakoo752
USN
 
Yakoo752's Avatar
 
AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cupertino
Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Rickover was the Golden Boy of the Navy for quite a while.
2 congressional gold medals... Still a legend

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

I could talk boats all day. My old boat departed on Westpac yesterday.
__________________
IMPERIUM NEPTUNI REGIS-Member of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of Trusty Shellbacks
Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikigaisha
Team Triple Threat
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
JakesKTM
Veteran
 
JakesKTM's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: NorCal
Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Everyone in the navy is a trained firefighter. Some receive more advanced firefighting - but everyone is trained in confined space firefighting. But the submariners were cream of the crop. RIP crew
__________________
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ JFK

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
bruceflinch
I love whores
 
bruceflinch's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++++++

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bay Point
Motorcycles: Present: ST 1300, Vstrom 650 Past 305SS RD400 CB500 RD250 CB360 XS650 R1200R XT225
Name: Bruce
RIP Crew
__________________
Proud Dad of an RN.
To be Richer: Earn More or Desire Less.
Yoga: Cheaper than Therapy
Namaste!
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Blankpage
alien
 
Blankpage's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on assignment
Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I YouTube'd it. Said the implosion was so severe all they found were small pieces. Also said the effect of air being compressed at that rate would instantly combust and therefore the victims would have been incinerated. That claim didn't pass the smell test.
Horrific death though as are all deaths I suppose
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #15
ratsblast
Veteran
 
ratsblast's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Belmont
Motorcycles: Buell BeLast, steal it, I dare you! 1997 1200xlh
Name: Daryn
The thresher and scorpion, hell of a way to go. Read about the under artic sub exploration, interesting stuff.
ratsblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.