Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits Italian stallion
Name:
Fascinating but tragic story.

The USS Thresher.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-sub-loss.html

Those brave souls knew for a time they were doomed. Maybe one day the secrets will be known.

http://www.fosters.com/news/20180403...-still-matters

While the catalyst for my post might be yours, its directed at the idea, not the person.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
RIP to those test pilots of the sea.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
The USS Thresher.
Those brave souls knew for a time they were doomed. Maybe one day the secrets will be known.
We talked about the Thresher and what caused its demise often. End result, a lot of failure and likely pride.

The problem with submarines is once the casualty starts there is a very short window of time to resolve.

My first casualty was a fire in the engine room from an air dehydrator. The response time from the crew was seconds. It was impressive. We stayed out to sea

My second casualty was a fire in the AMR. If I thought the response time above was impressive, a fire next to the O2 generator puts some real pep in your step. We stayed out to sea

My third casualty was the one where a singular change in events could have crumpled the can. It was a series of unfortunate events. We were out preparing for ORSE and we’re operating at a rapid pace. We had run some electrical evolutions in the evening and had depleted the battery. We ran a scram drill while at PD and when spinning up the diesel someone saw fire blow out the plenum and called it. This instantly shuts down the diesel and results in a flooded diesel that is not operable. So there we were with no reactor, no diesel, and little battery. We surfaced rapidly and brought the reactor back online, which takes hours. We limped back to port and had a very long debrief with the admiral. New procedures were created to prevent what occurred from happening again.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2

Contributor +++++2%

Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
well at least it was quick, granted the whole waiting for the inevitable prolly wasnt too fun RIP
* The race is long, and in the end - it's only with yourself.
* In real life, the tortoise gets smoked.

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
We talked about the Thresher and what caused its demise often. End result, a lot of failure and likely pride.

The problem with submarines is once the casualty starts there is a very short window of time to resolve.

My first casualty was a fire in the engine room from an air dehydrator. The response time from the crew was seconds. It was impressive. We stayed out to sea

My second casualty was a fire in the AMR. If I thought the response time above was impressive, a fire next to the O2 generator puts some real pep in your step. We stayed out to sea

My third casualty was the one where a singular change in events could have crumpled the can. It was a series of unfortunate events. We were out preparing for ORSE and we’re operating at a rapid pace. We had run some electrical evolutions in the evening and had depleted the battery. We ran a scram drill while at PD and when spinning up the diesel someone saw fire blow out the plenum and called it. This instantly shuts down the diesel and results in a flooded diesel that is not operable. So there we were with no reactor, no diesel, and little battery. We surfaced rapidly and brought the reactor back online, which takes hours. We limped back to port and had a very long debrief with the admiral. New procedures were created to prevent what occurred from happening again.
Is a casualty defined as a hurt boat or a hurt person ?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits Italian stallion
Name:
Not too sure about quick. The implosion was but I bet the minutes sinking past test depth was agonizingly long.

The sailors who serve in subs are a special kind. There are the jokes about jumping from perfectly good aircraft but to climb into a tube and sit under oceans, that takes people who fill the pouch underwear tight.

While the catalyst for my post might be yours, its directed at the idea, not the person.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
Is a casualty defined as a hurt boat or a hurt person ?
hurt boat

fire, flooding, loss of ____ equipment are all described as a casualty

Only US submarine human casualty in recent times was 05 when the USS San Fran ran into an underwater mountain. I became a paramedic because of this.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
Not too sure about quick. The implosion was but I bet the minutes sinking past test depth was agonizingly long.

The sailors who serve in subs are a special kind. There are the jokes about jumping from perfectly good aircraft but to climb into a tube and sit under oceans, that takes people who fill the pouch underwear tight.
They weren't sitting around playing twiddly sticks. They were doing everything in their power to reach the surface. I bet they were too involved in the evolution to even think. The majority didn't see it coming.

only tall people know what depth you are at
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 04-16-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I remember when this happened. Rickover was the Golden Boy of the Navy for quite a while.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Climber
Ride to live

Contributor

Motorcycles: 02 F4i
Name: Brett
I worked at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where it got built and was testing out of following an overhaul. It was still a sore point there 22 years later, they had a memorial to the USS Thresser where you passed it every day you came in for work as a reminder.

One thing that always bothered me when I worked there, if you went to the BOQ lunch hall after the workers had been there, you'd see tables stacked with beer bottles from the workers lunch, it wasn't uncommon to see as many as 4 beer bottles/mugs (sometimes more) at a single place. I couldn't help wondering how many of those people had worked on the Thresher and whether they had the same habit back when they were working on it.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidentsj**NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

Hollywood depends on the suspension of disbelief. Trump depends on the suspension of critical thinking skills.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Rickover was the Golden Boy of the Navy for quite a while.
2 congressional gold medals... Still a legend

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

I could talk boats all day. My old boat departed on Westpac yesterday.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Everyone in the navy is a trained firefighter. Some receive more advanced firefighting - but everyone is trained in confined space firefighting. But the submariners were cream of the crop. RIP crew

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
bruceflinch
I love whores

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Present: ST 1300, Vstrom 650 Past 305SS RD400 CB500 RD250 CB360 XS650 R1200R XT225
Name: Bruce
RIP Crew
Namaste!
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I YouTube'd it. Said the implosion was so severe all they found were small pieces. Also said the effect of air being compressed at that rate would instantly combust and therefore the victims would have been incinerated. That claim didn't pass the smell test.
Horrific death though as are all deaths I suppose
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #15
ratsblast
Veteran

Motorcycles: Buell BeLast, steal it, I dare you! 1997 1200xlh
Name: Daryn
The thresher and scorpion, hell of a way to go. Read about the under artic sub exploration, interesting stuff.
ratsblast is offline   Reply With Quote