Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #46
glooey
gloobie

Motorcycles: Street Triple R, DRZ-S, FJR
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
I have recently reorganized my copy of the SWITRS database thru 2015 to more easily summarize moto-related stuff. If there's something specific you're interested in, I may be able to post a table or graph I already have or can produce quickly.

For info, here are a few of the data elements collected for every crash: date, time, location (city, county, road, milepoint, sometimes lat/lon), weather, crash severity (from fatal to non-injury), who was at fault, primary collision factor, type of collision (head-on, rear-end, etc.), types of vehicles involved. For each vehicle: driver age, sex, drug/alcohol use, injury severity, helmet, movement before crash, other contributing factors. There's not much about the motorcycle itself other than make.

Anything there you'd like to see?
For "rear-end" collisions, are you able to parse among 1) motorcycle rear-ended (motorcycle hit from behind), 2) motorcycle rear-ender (moto hit another vehicle's rear), and between a) lane splitting and b) not splitting?

Thanks.
glooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #47
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by glooey View Post
For "rear-end" collisions, are you able to parse among 1) motorcycle rear-ended (motorcycle hit from behind), 2) motorcycle rear-ender (moto hit another vehicle's rear), and between a) lane splitting and b) not splitting?

Thanks.
In fatal crashes, the US DOT database reports clearly which vehicle did what in a rear-end crash. In California fatal 2-vehicle rear-end crashes 2011-2015, the motorcycle struck the other vehicle from behind in 82% of cases. For the US (including California) it was 64%.

But the 161 California fatals are just a small percentage of all rear-end crashes. On the CHP SWITRS database, there are more than 10,000 2-vehicle motorcycle rear-end crashes 2011-2015. In that data, it's less clear who did what to whom. "At fault" is reported, and the rider was at fault in 64% of those crashes. In most of those, I expect the motorcycle struck the other vehicle from behind, but there's also the possibility that the rider was at fault for a crap lane change that precipitated impact from behind.

Lane splitting is not reported in either the US DOT traffic fatality database or CHP's SWITRS.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #48
glooey
gloobie

Motorcycles: Street Triple R, DRZ-S, FJR
Name: Greg
Thanks, DataDan.
glooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #49
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
Contributor ++

2016 update

I've recently downloaded 2016 crash data from the CHP website. Here are summaries for California and the Bay Area (= 9 counties on the Bay + Santa Cruz):

crash data from http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov/Reports/jsp/RawData.jsp

While crashes have increased post-recession, fatalities are below the 2008 highs both statewide and in the Bay.

So far in 2017, we have seen a lot of BARF RIP threads. From stories that have appeared in the news, 39 riders have died year to date, more than the database count for the same period in 2016 but about the same as 2015.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #50
burtosa
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki GZ250
Name:
This is fantastic, super interesting, and important info! Thank you for sharing!
burtosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #51
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
These recent graphs are totals, or per capita/per mile traveled, or some other "normalizing" statistic?
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #52
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
These recent graphs are totals, or per capita/per mile traveled, or some other "normalizing" statistic?
An important suggestion.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #53
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Numbers in the 2016 update are counts--around 17,000 police-reported motorcycle crashes in California in 2016.

Crash rate per vehicle-mile traveled is the best way to assess average motorcyclist risk IMHO, but motorcycle vehicle-mile estimates by state aren't very reliable. Motorcycle registrations, OTOH, are reliable but may not reflect actual riding. However, registrations is the best exposure measure available, and assuming riding habits don't change dramatically year-to-year, the rate can help spot short-term trends.

Here is a recent history of crashes, registrations, and crash rate per 1,000 registrations (2016 registrations are not yet available). I included Bay Area data in my 2016 Update post, but motorcycle registrations by county are no longer available, so I can't present the Bay Area rate.

registrations from https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor...statistics.cfm

Another aspect of crash risk is lethality, the percentage of reported motorcycle crashes that result in rider death:

crash and fatality data from http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov/Reports/jsp/RawData.jsp

Last edited by DataDan; 08-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: clarified graph units
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #54
stunna
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Panigale V4S. Scrambler Cafe Racer.
Name: JOON
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Numbers in the 2016 update are counts--around 17,000 police-reported motorcycle crashes in California in 2016.

Crash rate per vehicle-mile traveled is the best way to assess average motorcyclist risk IMHO, but motorcycle vehicle-mile estimates by state aren't very reliable. Motorcycle registrations, OTOH, are reliable but may not reflect actual riding. However, registrations is the best exposure measure available, and assuming riding habits don't change dramatically year-to-year, the rate can help spot short-term trends.

Here is a recent history of crashes, registrations, and crash rate per 1,000 registrations (2016 registrations are not yet available). I included Bay Area data in my 2016 Update post, but motorcycle registrations by county are no longer available, so I can't present the Bay Area rate.

registrations from https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor...statistics.cfm

Another aspect of crash risk is lethality, the percentage of reported motorcycle crashes that result in rider death:

crash and fatality data from http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov/Reports/jsp/RawData.jsp

Thx for the summary DD.