Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #31
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Props to you! This is an excellent adventure you've taken us on!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #32
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Thanks for reading Maddevil, it was definitely a ride I will never forget and hopefully this'll help people plan their rides in the future.

Continuing on. I head down 101 for quite some time. I'm still contemplating where to go but I'm pretty much going to follow my tracks. I'm near the coast again so it's nice a cool again. Then I start heading inland more and come upon the 101 to 1 junction. I realize oh crap I missed the exit I was suppose to take to go down this nice road the Butler Maps has. So I exit and I'm getting pretty tired and it getting pretty warm now. So I exit and take a break to get my bearings and I head down this road and there is a small dirt lot next to the freeway. I realize this is a some kind of trailhead and people coming here to hike.

I look it up and there is something called Gaviota Hot Spring! I google it and it says the hike is less than a mile! I'm like awesome, its hot and I feel like I need a little bath. I run into a guy in the parking lot and we chat for a while about my journey. So I get ready to hike up the hill and it really is a steep hill. But its less than a mile and after I cool off at the spring its an easy downhill hike back, I wish I wore shorts though.

I'm hiking and its pretty steep I got my backpack and towel with me also so I'm sweatin up a storm. A dude I was hiking with tells me where the spring is but I guess I get confused and overshoot it. You can definitely hear the spring back there. There was a part where there was some kind of plastic piping contruction, that was actually the turn and it kind turn into a really tight single tracky trail. I go up it for a little bit and SUCCESS I finally make it to a hot spring.

Now I don't feel so bad for missing Tecopa and this is a totally natural hot spring, not some kinda pool. There is a couple there soaking in it already. I was talking to them and they tell me that this area hasn't had any rain for like 3 years already, so I guess they've got it worse than us. I tell them about my adventures and the dude tells me he has a XR650. Nobody is naked so I don't feel like taking all my clothes off so I just soak in it enough so I don't get my briefs wet. My mesh gear will dry fast anyway, I settle for a quick bath. Its pretty nice but its kinda mucky and smells like sulfur. Also the spring is kinda rocky and I cut my toe a little, luckily it didn't get infected. Another dude comes running in, apparently he was running up the trail, he says the hike it pretty tough here. Everyone leaves and I snap a buncha pictures, dry my feet, and start heading down the trail. The hike back was pretty ez just as I'd expected steep downhill. My Tshirt and pants are soaked, so now I'm nice and cool and it'll feel great when I get on the road. What an unexpected event! The parking was $2 but it was worth it. Time to head on to Santa Rosa Road.

Hot spring movie
http://instagram.com/p/tyYjFewOqW/

Last edited by HadesOmega; 10-30-2014 at 01:24 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 AM   #33
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Next section is Santa Rosa Road to Lompoc. Santa Rosa road is a road a fairly easy twisty road with views of ranches and vineyards. I would have to say it like riding in Salinas with more vineyards. Kinda like if you combines Livermore with Salinas. Its a fairly easy road that is somewhat goatie in certain sections. Very nice scenic ride though.

By this time I'm starving. I'm riding through Lompoc and they have so many Fish n Chip restaurants. I gas up and I decide to hit one up. I go to this fancy british restaurant Alfie's Fish&Chips. If its one thing I know about the Brits is that they love their fish n chips. I didn't think 2 pieces would fill me up but it did. Yummy time to get back on the road. Next stop Vandenberg AFB.

I always get close to Vandenberg Air Force Base but I never get a chance to do go there. Like most Air Force bases it's nice and clean. I really don't have any idea where to go either. I'm just riding around. I find the BX and its a decent sized one but they don't have souvenir coins sadly. Vandenberg is famous for doing rocket launches and other space stuff. They didn't have a museum that I could find and its a Sunday so most of the base is shut down. When I talked to Kevin at Edwards AFB he told me that Vandenberg was a good place to go riding. There are lots of foresty areas but I keep seeing signs saying the area is off limits, so I don't go in plus its getting late I gotta get to Pismo soon. Wish I had more time to explore, but I have to say the base is pretty boring. It kinda reminds me of a college campus. I do however find something interesting I was not expecting to see at an Air Force base. A Korean War Memorial for the 40th Infantry Division. I am wearing the 40TH ID patch on my uniform, my unit belongs to them. So what a strange coincedence on an Air Force Base no less. They had a tank to display also.

Look familiar, that's me rockin the 40th ID patch on my quad. Don't ask why I'm wearing my uniform on my quad at the beach.

Next stop Oceano Dunes
Old 11-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #34
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

So Vandenberg was a little disappointment. I guess when they have rocket launches it must be cool place to be. There are some roads that go around the base near the coast, that must be a fun ride. But the time for riding and scenic enjoyment is over. The sun has set and I need to find a place to setup camp.

I head on over to Pismo Beach the closest route possible. I try to go down this road I have on my tracks, I'm not sure where it goes it probably goes to some light house, but I decide there's no point it dark. Its dark and I'm riding down the 2 lane 2way road and its dark. I wound up taking hwy1 there I think but the faster way I think was to take 101. But I took the shorter way. I make it into Pismo and head to the entrance of Ocean Dunes. Now I know why you don't want to come in during high tide because there's less available hard packed sand to ride on.

I air down and here comes my first beach riding experience on a motorcycle. So I head down the beach and it's a couple miles to the OHV area where you can actually camp. Its going ok then it gets a little crazy. The hard pack sand is getting smaller, there's on coming traffic. Your suppose to go 15mph but I'm zooming by at 25mph. I'm hitting these washing and its slapping me around. There's giant seewed I'm running over, there is a smaller creek crossing. Let's just say its much more work getting the OHV area than it is on a quad or automobile. So I'm not sure where I want to setup camp. The lady at the booth said they opened up more of the beach because those snowy plover birds aren't hanging out there anymore. So I'm thinking of going there but I want to stay near a restroom. Luckily when I came here with my van and quad I stayed near one last time and I have the waypoint for it. Now I'm chuggin right along and bam this maybe like 2 foot sand bank (probably someones sand castle) comes outta nowhere and I guess I panic and have to plow through it and I think I stalled the bike and it's down. I manage to pick it up even with all the luggage on it.

These pictures look so misleading, there weren't nearly that many RVs out there and its uber dark right now.

I get to my camping area and I try to head into the looser sand area and guess what I get stuck. I'm trying to pull out of it and it's just digging deeper. Fortunately I'm close to where I gotta be, so I decide I'm gonna drop all the luggage and carry it to where I wanna camp. So I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna get the bike out, it's stuck pretty well. I read up online that you need to just to just give it power then kinda chop the throttle to get it to hook up. You can also jump up and down on the back to get it to hook up. Eventually I get it out. Man riding on the beach is tough on this tank.

My bike stuck in the sand, it stands on its own!

I setup camp and some dudes leave a camp fire going and just take off. So I go cook some chili beans there and have a nice dinner. Let me add that the weather is great right now I can actually see the stars, but the next day is not so nice.

The next day it's super foggy. I'm like what the hell, this seems to happen all the time when I head to the coast. There's is always a ton of fog. There's tons of those little snowy plover birds on the beach.

So the next day I get a chance to practice riding in the sand the next morning. Riding in deep loose sand is a different animal. As long as you don't stop your fine haha and like before the faster you go you start floating over the sand. Then if you see a sand bank or deep ruts your don't have to be scared of it, just twist it and plow through that. You can do some pretty cool stuff in deep sand. You kinda just have to let the bike go where it wants, which is kinda scarey because it feels like your not in control your just drifting all over the place, but you can't think like your riding on the pavement. All your steering inputs are very slow so where you think you'd be in trouble on the street your fine on the sand. You can also get the bike to lean and slide a whole lot. The bike also heats up really fast because your moving slowly but the tires are spinning so fast, so your not getting a lotta air to the engine. Watercooled is probably best for sand! Luckily its pretty cool at the beach. Anyway I felt that my beach riding skills got much better but I still dared not venture into the dunes and I didn't have a flag anyway. It's definitely not like a quad, a quad is so much more easier to ride on the sand. However I think it could have been better if I had some good knobbies. By this point of the trip my Shinko700 and T63 were probably 3/4 done already.

Anyway by the end of my practice session I was able to get these crazy rooster tails, I could do J turns (surprised how much lean your can get and still keep going, like your riding on glue), donuts, figure 8, ride through the looser stuff, and plow through sand banks and ruts! Fun times.

I would also like to mention that when I got off the beach and back onto the slab, that my brakes felt like they grabbed much better. I have had this problem with my DR where the brake pads don't bike hard anymore and I gotta squeeze the lever quite a bit more. Well I tried to resurface the rotor with a scotchbrite disc and it might've helped a little to clean the rotor up. Well it turn out riding through the deepsand cleans your rotors! It kinda sands and polished the metal and well it bites much better now, not bad! Also it cleans your rims my rims are nice and shiny now in most places. Good deal!

Shiny, they were caked with dirt before.

Tires not lookin so hot
Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #35
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Continuing on the final day. I manage to make it back to the beach entrance without incident and air up. I notice my chain is loose again so I tighten it a bit. Turns out I've been measuring wrong the whole time so I've been tightening it too much but oh well its still there and I plan to change it when I get home.

I hit the slab and head up towards San Luis Obispo. First place of interest is Morro Bay. I've always wanted to check it out but never went. I'm quite disappointed in the weather today. Its very foggy and overcast near the coast so not much to see in Morro Bay.

I continue ahead. Its just a series of coastal fog and when I move inland or certain parts of the cost it clears up. Luckily when I get to San Simeon and Hearst Castle I manage to hit one of those clear patches. I pull up to Hearst Castle and get some souvenir coins and takes pictures of the visitor center. Didn't have time to go on the tour unfortunately but I've been here when i was younger. I try to take a picture of the castle with the pay to use binos and it comes out ok. So I've visited two castles this trip: Scotty's Castle and Hearst's Castle!

After I continue heading up on HWY 1 and I come across an Elephant Seal Beach. It was pretty cool all there was a bunch of Seals just taking naps on the beach. They look dead but then you see a couple moving around. Then there is a group of them fighting in the water.

Seals on the beach movies
http://instagram.com/p/t03xUowOqE/
http://instagram.com/p/t04DDbwOqn/

Now I continue on up HWY1 and it becomes awesome. I've never ridden this part of Pacific Coast Highway before but it is just spectacular views and riding the rest of the way. The elevation changes fairly often so one minute your in the clouds, below, and on top.

Next stop Nacimiento Fergusson Road!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #36
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Last leg of the journey. So after the epic ride up and down through the Pacific Coast HWY1 I go up Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. I had actually went down this road when I did my Big Sur ride earlier this year. Let me tell you it was fantastic going down and its fantastic going up as well. I didn't get a lot of pictures on it but I did shoot a video that I may upload in the future. If you are in this area I HIGHLY recommend riding this road. It was on the Butler Map for a reason. I get to the dirt roads that lead to Cone Peak and Prewitt Ridge.

I took a break about halfway to the intersection to cool off. It was getting very warm right now into the 90s. I stopped at this spot where there was a little creek running down below the road for a break. I took the windscreen off and took off all my inside layers and wet my shirt. Then I'm getting attacked by these swarms of little black flies. Now I remember this from when I was camping on Prewitt Ridge. It was an epic place to camp but the flies were eating me alive even with insect repellent.

Movie of my rest stop on Nacimiento-Fergusson Road
http://instagram.com/p/t1JHwbwOlO/

Back to where we was the intersection to Prewitt Ridge. I make a decision to not camp there, I was 50/50 on staying another day and camping at Prewitt Ridge and because of these crazy flies I decided not to and was just going to head home instead. I finish the epic ride up Nacimiento Fergusson and it's time for dinner and what better place than the Fort Hunter Ligget DFAC!

After that fantastic dinner I fill up and head out. The plan is to go through the backside of Los Padres National Forest. According to the Butler Map, there is suppose to be a dirt road that will spit me out in Carmel Valley twisties. This is northwest of Ft Hunter Ligget. Oh I would like to mention that I have been noticing my bike has become harder to get into neutral and harder to shift in general. You'll find out why soon.

First I head out to Mission de San Antonio Padua right next to Ft Hunter Liggett.

I find out the some of the dirt road that I want to take right next to mission is the property of Ft Hunter Liggett. It was some kind of training ground so I wound up taking the slab. I ride for quite some time through the foresty roads of Del Venturi Road. Then I get to a dirt road called "Indian Road" There are two free campgrounds here. They are pretty nice doesn't look like many people visit here but there are NO fires allowed because of you guessed it high fire danger and forest fires. Then I see a sign that sez that the road is closed up ahead because of the fires. DAMMIT! Once again my plans to ride on these nice dirt roads has been foiled by forest fires. Well I decide I'm going to ride it as much as I can and if I have to turn around I will. The sad thing is if I do turn around I will have no choice and head all the way back to Ft Hunter Liggett and take Jolon Rd to 101 and it will be very boring. =(

So I riding on the dirt road and wow its not a bad little road. Scenic ride through a canyon. The road is very easy to ride but fun enough where you can slide it around the corners still. I'm enjoying it.

Well the fun ended when I got to the road closed sign. There was a gate with a downed tree behind it. NOW... I could have just gone around the gate but it did say no motorcycles. If I got caught back there probably would be a hefty fine or could be dangerous so I turn around and take a break at the campground. no point in really going any further up the trail anyway because it would be dark soon and there would be no photo and vid ops.

So I go take a break at the campground I passed by. I take a pee break and decide I need to adjust my clutch because the clutch lever is getting really loose. Well I find out why its so loose. About half the strands of the clutch cable have broken. So a couple strands are holding it now. I'm like WHOA that is bad. I can try to fix it here because I have a spare clutch cable ziptied to the busted cable OR I can try to hobble it home and fix the cable comfortably at home since I'm not too far from San Jose. I opt for the second choice and nurse it home. I head back to Ft Hunter Ligget in the dark trying as much as possible to not use the clutch. It was still useable but didn't wanna chance it. I stop at the the entrance to the Ft Hunter Ligget where the tank is a take a night shot with the tank.

After I head to 101 and high tail it back home. Its nearly all freeway so I didn't use the clutch all that much. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I make it home and it's the end of my adventure. Kinda sad it was cut short but there really wasn't anything else to see since that forest road was blocked.

ADVENTURE COMPLETE!

From altitudes of up to 10,000ft to -200ft and 2400 miles of forests to deserts to the coast my epic adventure comes to a close!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #37
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here's that clutch cable

Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #38
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Also here is a picture of all the souvenir coins I got along the way:

Last edited by HadesOmega; 11-19-2014 at 10:41 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #39
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Awesome!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #40
kzahel
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM 950 Adventure, CRF250L
Name: Kyle
wow. great report!
kzahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #41
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzahel View Post
wow. great report!
+1! Wonderful RR, thanks for taking the time to post it up!
Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
IBA#4200
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #42
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Thanks glad everyone enjoyed reading it even though it was quite lengthy and dial up not recommend . Definitely a ride I will never forget in my life. Hope this helps riders doing a similar ride prep.

Almost a thousand views better than my youtube vids =)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #43
GixxerDude650
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600
Name: Will
Thanks for sharing!
GixxerDude650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #44
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Sorry for necroposting this but a while back I changed my imagehosting to smugmug so because of that many of my older ride reports have broken pictures. Rather than go back and try to find all the pictures and relink them all I managed to find this poking around my google photos, it's an album with pretty all the pictures of the trip in it, kind of a large collage.

This was my first big adventure ride and many more to follow came after this

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...YyWnlfNEJxU0RR

Last edited by HadesOmega; 08-13-2018 at 12:36 AM..