Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #46
R1-Limited
Banned

Motorcycles: two wheel kind
Name: JL 4 Short
Quote:
What do you think about the risk of motorcycling and about your own affinity or avoidance of risk? Here are a few questions to ponder:

Compared to your non-motorcycling friends, do you consider yourself a risk taker or a risk avoider? No, I live my life as they live there life, some jump out of planes I wont I just enjoy my life as it has been given me

Do you come from a risk-taking family? Were you a risk-taking kid? Nope, just nuts

What other kinds of recreational activities do you enjoy? Do I participate in I assume, anything with speed involved I enjoy. Baseball, outdoor aka fishing, hiking, dancing naked in the forest

Does your job involve risk (not necessarily physical)? If you trade commodity futures for a living, you may get a bigger hit of that dopamine reward in a typical trading day than you ever get while riding. Uh No unless of course debugging code is a risk when you have to tell the engineer he fubar'd
In Bold Above
R1-Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #47
R1-Limited
Banned

Motorcycles: two wheel kind
Name: JL 4 Short
PSA

Life is a Risk
R1-Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #48
jpoppa
Veteran

Motorcycles: 16 Katoom SDR
Name: JMACD
Great topic BTW of course there is acceptable risk, and one must learn to anticipate drivers and sometimes there is nothing you can anticipate.

1. Born Risk taker, started riding at 7 instantly hooked on two wheels, raced bmx, mx then got into road racing.

2. Yep Pops used to run Shine,when I turned 13 he bought me a Winchester 22, and a 1976 KX125 scared the crap outa me (true story).

3. Surfing, skimboarding, fast trail riding on push bikes, played in a band and toured for years.

Never one for jumping out of planes though, I do hear its a rush!
jpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #49
jpoppa
Veteran

Motorcycles: 16 Katoom SDR
Name: JMACD
Also riding fast on public roads is very risky, passing on the outside is very dangerous and can do more harm than to just yourself, a friend of mine almost died from this on Grizzly Peak a couple of years ago, (he was a former AFM racer) and no longer rides but he is doing well otherwise and lucky to be alive.
jpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #50
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Danger is everywhere when you're on a motorcycle, but awareness of the danger can reduce your risk.
This is true. John Foley is a former flight leader of the Blue Angels, and has some thoughts about the difference between being scared - aware of danger - and being afraid (unable to act in the face of danger). I saw him give a talk recently it was good. Here's his take on this - short, and worth a read:
http://www.johnfoleyinc.com/blog/201...red-or-afraid/
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #51
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
Smile

as for me i avoid risk as much as i can.

as for the human species...were is risk? what is risk? were would we be with no risk?

the world would still be flat..the moon would still be a devil in the sky. and fire would be alive.

with risk
man has flow many time the speed of sound (at one time it was said if you go faster then 30 mph your lungs would collapse due to the air getting sucked out of them).
how about Americans on the moon and safely home.
subs how deep can we go?
mt climbers?
people who explore caves and divers?

how about medicine?

with no risk in a life, there is no life.

not a risk taker but my body is all beat-up and torn-up and almost used-up..

but done for...yet.

maybe sky diving...but i believe in teraferma. the more ferma...the less tera.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #52
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
In Keith Code's latest Motorcyclist column, Embrace Risk, he discusses the relationship among safety, confidence, and speed. He writes:
Here's the interesting thing: It's within this desire to be safer and more confident that this faster urge often finds its true home. Being safer and more confident on the bike is often the most logical route to going faster. "If I felt safer then maybe I'd be more confident leaning over that far and going that fast!"

My take is that riders who pursue all three attributes—more safety, more confidence, and more speed—are frankly more open to adventure and challenge.
I would add that the desire to meet challenge and overcome difficulty--and acceptance of physical risk--is required to become a safer, faster, or more confident rider--whatever combination of those objectives you choose. Because in motorcycling, risk accompanies learning experiences.

Learning to use Photoshop you won't end up with stitches if you make a mistake. No broken bones as you master your 5-iron shot on the golf course. But like some other sports, motorcycling comes with unavoidable physical risk. That's not to say that crashing and injuries are inevitable, but sometimes a rider doing the right things will crash while learning a new skill, and those who try must accept the possibility.

However, by taking that risk while learning, you reduce risk later. You will also become more confident and, if you like, faster.

One day, long, long ago, I headed out on my Hawk GT from Walnut Creek to Livermore and Mines Road. To my surprise and annoyance, I found that Mines was freshly chip-sealed. Surmising that it would be just the Alameda County side, I continued on anyway. And I learned more about riding that day than any other single day I can recall, track excepted. The motorcycle countersteers just fine, though a little less responsively. The front brake is still more effective than the rear, but it's better to use both brakes all the time. And with gentle throttle hand, bringing the back end around exiting a turn can be loads of fun. To this day, I'm not afraid of chip-sealed or gravelly roads.

We all need to stretch a little beyond the comfort zone occasionally. For noobs, that happens on most rides. But vets, too, need to challenge themselves. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or potentially deadly, of course, just something more than the normal routine. The reward is a perpetually fresh outlook, and, as Keith says, you'll be "faster, safer, and more confident."
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #53
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
risk is what you make of it.
it is risky to just stay in bed.

i would rather be able to have fun and enjoy my life, on a motorcycle, bicycle, in my jeep, or just hiking/wandering around in the woods.
just getting out, with no time to be anyplace...except dinner.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote