Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 10-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
Plaster

Motorcycles: Yamaha
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjam View Post
I like to call this the "Zen" approach. Basically, you need to be cool, calm and collected. The more calm and detached and analytical you are, the more likely that you will be in a position to react in a way that will be beneficial to you.

Anger, frustration, etc, get in the way of clear thinking and change the way we make decisions. "When people are feeling high levels of anger, tend to make riskier decisions that have higher payoffs."

This was driven home to me after several years of riding, when I realised that every time I got upset and angry over someone nearly killing me, I would do things that put myself in more danger, just to prove a point, to somehow teach someone a "lesson".

Let it go. Be zen. Be cool. Be engaged with the riding, but detached from your emotions like a fighter pilot.
Wise words.
Plaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #17
LittleBigGirl
Like an ostensory!

AMA #3322079

Motorcycles: 2017 SV650
Name: TJ
I like this Zen approach, always a good reminder -- especially in traffic, splitting, or when mistakes are made.
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
Matty D

Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjam View Post
This was driven home to me after several years of riding, when I realised that every time I got upset and angry over someone nearly killing me, I would do things that put myself in more danger, just to prove a point, to somehow teach someone a "lesson".

Let it go. Be zen. Be cool. Be engaged with the riding, but detached from your emotions like a fighter pilot.
Great post matjam, even if it's a couple years old. I've definitely caught myself doing stupid things after someone else did something that pissed me off. It's super important to recognize when it's happening and employ the zen approach as much as possible. The jackass who pissed you off will probably be a distant memory soon enough, but the consequences of overly-aggressive, reactive riding can be permanent.
Matty D is offline   Reply With Quote