Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Killin_ix
Veteran

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 2012 Baby Daytona; 2015 R3
Name: Eric
Cripple Triple

I'm very interested purchasing or modding a 600 into a cripple triple. Been reading a lot more from http://www.450triple.com/. The modifications seems simple enough. Would be awesome to run around with a 80 HP bike that's has really good OEM suspension and braking components.

For those that race or track these bikes, what is it like? Reliable? Should I buy or build? Also, do I need to really dyno the bike once the cylinder is disabled?

Any ownership insight would be greatly appreciated.
Killin_ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
dangeranger
Rookie

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: '00 SV650 '05 ZX6R '07 R6 '09 DRZ400
Name:
First of all, it's a blast.
If you do the injector mod it shouldn't take more than half an hour once you have the parts as long as you're familiar with working on bikes. The r6 requires you to do a little bit of wiring to modify the harness.
As far as what it's like, it was frustrating at first. There was definitely an adjustment period because I had already ridden my bike at full power for a season when I decided to cripple it. It made it feel a lot like riding my SV but with no torque haha. It's a lot of fun to ride, but like any low power bike it requires you to work a lot harder, and if you do make a mistake, you don't have the power to just make up for it.

If you can find a bike that's already crippled that's great, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a non crippled 600 that's already track worthy and just disable it yourself.

I took mine to the dyno, and it barely changed anything, however my friends gsxr that we did at the same time ran terribly as a 450 and having it dynod made a big difference.
dangeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
ircsmith
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ulysses, GSXR450, RVF428, RVF400, GoPed strung out on Lithium
Name:
Find a 600 and go for it. dont know of any 450 triples for sale at the moment. Dave Moss many have an R4.5. you can get all the help needed. we have no secrets and everyone in the class is willing to help. having a fuel map done is recommended. dyno tune or get the Woolich log box. depends on what you plan to do with it. there are a few 450s that can be switched back to a 600 in a few minutes and can race in both classes.
Evolution MotorcyclesAmsoil

and the great deals from ,Motion Pro, Motomummy, For the Track
ircsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Gixxergirl1000
AFM #731

Official BARF Roadside Angel BARFIE winner 2014
BARFIE winner 2014
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + BB
Barf Roadside Angel Leader

Motorcycles: GSXR-1000; GSX-R 450 Triple race bike "Timmay"; GS 500 race bike "The Murderbike"
Name: Connie
OMG I LOVE my Triple!!! The bikes are soooo much fun to ride... and the 450 Racers are an awesome group of people!!
Can't wait to get back out on mine later this year... looking like Sonoma at this point.
You will NOT be disappointed!

TMU Local 209- Road Captain- cuz Roundboy sez so!

Check out my website & read my race reports: RoadsideAngelRacing.com

Jim Perry~ my <3 10/18/08 Steve "Cygnus" Hempler 12/2/10 Gary Jaehne 5/19/12 Dad 11/22/13
Gixxergirl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
AdrenalineJunky
Track Addict

Motorcycles: Are awesome!
Name: Warren
Best way to get into racing in my opinion. I bought one of Dave Moss's old bikes, but buying a 600 track bike and crippling it seems like a fairly simple process.

I have had no issues with mine, so reliable? Yeah, sure.

Again, I got mine pretty much ready to race, but I have heard time and time again that tuning after crippling is absolutley nessecary.

Lastly, the 450 cripple crowd is a great bunch of people to race with!
AdrenalineJunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #6
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++++++!++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ1, R6, R4.5, TE250, CRF250L, Ruckus!
Name: Charles
Echoing what others have to say and adding some more:

Buy or build? the "build" is so easy now that it doesn't matter. As you read, there are several ways of crippling the bike. some require pulling the head, but others do not. If you are doing the injector bypass method (most popular now), then it's 10 minutes max. If you are doing the cam grind method, you have to pull and grind the cams: a couple hours at least. If you want to pull the valves, then the head has to come off, I would think the better part of a day.

Dyno? definitely recommended, though I would say this for any racebike, especially if you have made modifications.

Reliable? just as much as the base bike. We haven't seen any mod related problems. The only issue I've had was that I used the wrong tubing for my injector bypass loops and they melted. Don't do that.

Ride? Lower toque, more engine braking, modern suspension. My bike feels very light to me and drops in to corners very easily. The racing action is great though, I rarely have a lonely race anymore. There are usually others to dice it up with.

Support: We're all willing to help, you just have to ask.
AFM #510
ACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Hooli
Giveaway @ 9:00pm

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACA View Post
If you are doing the cam grind method, you have to pull and grind the cams: a couple hours at least.
Or you can save your original camshafts and get an identical used set (Ebay, etc.) to modify. When/if you decide to revert reinstall your original cams.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++++++!++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ1, R6, R4.5, TE250, CRF250L, Ruckus!
Name: Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Or you can save your original camshafts and get an identical used set (Ebay, etc.) to modify. When/if you decide to revert reinstall your original cams.
True. This was one of the original "pros" of crippling: you can easily return it to a 600 in case you fear a loss of value. Though now maybe they have equivalent/higher value.
AFM #510
ACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
omoiRR
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 CBR600RR, 2008 Yamaha R45, 2008 GS500F, 2012 Ninja 250R
Name: Elliot
do it. nice group of people. easy to cripple, reliable. a great way to get into racing imo.
omoiRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
ZXR400SP
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZXR400SP, R6
Name:
I'd say buy if you can so that someone else has already paid for suspension upgrades. Otherwise build it. Racing a lower Hp bike will make you a better racer, IMO anyway.
AFM#27

http://www.perf-concepts.com l http://zoomzoomtrackdays.com l http://www.gpframeandwheel.com l
ZXR400SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
is there any development on just flashing the ecu and physically not touching any other part of the bike yet to bring it from 600-450?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
Daniel13
Veteran

Motorcycles: -
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
is there any development on just flashing the ecu and physically not touching any other part of the bike yet to bring it from 600-450?
I'd think that would be a big no no for racing as someone could easily switch their map during the race.
Daniel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Qriple dammit
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
Maize and Blue
Veteran

2% Contributor

Motorcycles: 10R
Name: Arft
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
For the gsxr's with the Woolich kit we have been able to turn off the injectors for one cylinder. So, yes, you can just flash the ecu to make a triple. For racing with AFM, they require some sort of physical change to be made that requires tool to switch back and forth.

The simple solution is to get 2 extra injectors (one for upper, one for lower) with the loop of tubing, pick a cylinder, then unplug the connector from the injectors in the fuel rail and plug into the looped injectors. Done.
For optimal performance in 600 and 450 modes you'll want a custom map, too.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
aditya.tantry
OMRRA #225

Motorcycles: 2009 Yamaha R6(Track) 2007 KTM 690 SM(Street)
Name: Aditya
I woke up today to the same idea of crippling my R6 to run the bike as a 450 in OMRRA.
I get to race more classes this way.
I was reading up on the different ways and looks like this one is the quickest way.
http://www.450triple.com/2015/09/22/...ummy-injector/

"The simple solution is to get 2 extra injectors (one for upper, one for lower) with the loop of tubing, pick a cylinder, then unplug the connector from the injectors in the fuel rail and plug into the looped injectors. Done." Is it the same thing mentioned in the link above?

Speedmachis \m/
aditya.tantry is offline   Reply With Quote