Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #91
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Let's say you get hit while dead stopped at Pescadero and Hwy 1. Once the ambulance arrives, packages you and hits the road to Stanford (the nearest Trauma Center- an hour's drive Code 3)- your Golden Hour (best save outcome) has been past for some time. Oh wait, the Golden Hour started way back when you first got hit. Do the math...
Well, they would still fly him if that's what's best for the patient, regardless of what membership programs he is/is not a part of. Just a matter of who pays.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #92
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

Motorcycles: Eurocopter 135-P3, 1416hp
Name: Tracy
Because we are part of the EMS, we will transport patients whether you are a member or not. Member's do not get the bill and well if your not a Member....good luck. Insurance doesn't cover a whole lot. At least you can eliminate one medical bill from the other ones you will have from the scenario. Membership is such a small amount of money and save thousands.

Funny we pay more for our cell phone bills monthly, when this is a small amount yearly that covers the household and can save thousands. Truly is a "NO BRAINER" really.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #93
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Just joined. Me,my wife and my son. Great price. Thank you very much.

Mad
Old 10-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #94
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Well, they would still fly him if that's what's best for the patient, regardless of what membership programs he is/is not a part of. Just a matter of who pays.
Hence, "do the math".
Old 10-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #95
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

. Smart man!!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #96
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALSTAR/REACH View Post
Morning RVFRick,

I understand your concerns. The bases that cover those areas:
Oakland
Concord
Gilroy
Watsonville
*When thinking of these bases, don't think road miles, think nautical miles.

Our helicopters are dispatched by 911, first responders, or doctors at the hospital. We also have auto launch zones, and we are automatically dispatched, in remote areas.
I'm carrying out my due diligence to see if your product makes sense for me. It's not the money (yes, cheap if I use it but wasteful if it simply doesn't apply to my locations). Simply it's whether your network covers my area. I don't yet see it's for me at this point.

I have experienced a helicopter trauma flight decades ago so I do have first hand experience. It was all covered under insurance back then.

Perhaps I need to reach out to dispatchers e.g. 911 and first responders in the areas and ask them if/when they would reach out to Calstar.

Can you comment why Calstar doesn't have bases at the major metropolitan trauma centers for Silicon Valley: San Jose Valley Med & Regional Medical Center nor Palo Alto's Stanford? Has Calstar in or been in negotiations with these medical providers?

Quote:
Let's say you get hit while dead stopped at Pescadero and Hwy 1. Once the ambulance arrives, packages you and hits the road to Stanford (the nearest Trauma Center- an hour's drive Code 3)- your Golden Hour (best save outcome) has been past for some time. Oh wait, the Golden Hour started way back when you first got hit. Do the math...
Doing my due diligence and research. I am sensitive to market rhetoric and hype. I found this interesting read
https://www.aviationlawmonitor.com/2...pter-industry/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALSTAR/REACH View Post
Because we are part of the EMS, we will transport patients whether you are a member or not. Member's do not get the bill and well if your not a Member....good luck. Insurance doesn't cover a whole lot. At least you can eliminate one medical bill from the other ones you will have from the scenario. Membership is such a small amount of money and save thousands.

Funny we pay more for our cell phone bills monthly, when this is a small amount yearly that covers the household and can save thousands. Truly is a "NO BRAINER" really.
Allow me to use my brain to see if this makes sense for me.

Quote:
Hence, "do the math".
Doing the math

Would love to hear from Barfers who have had a helicopter trauma flight bike related or not? Apologies for not having read this entire thread.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #97
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Helicopter evacs are not common in metro areas- access is daunting and ground ambulances can load and go making quick time to trauma centers (which are typically in metro areas). Stanford LifeFlight is a good example- in a metro, but sits on the edge of the Santa Cruz mountains as well- the bulk of their flights are interfacility, feeding their own specialty centers who give a very high level of care, but if they are available, they'll go grab someone off the mountain if needed.

Your interesting read is written by a lawyer who sues ambulances and air med folks for a living. It's also an 8 year old article. You might go chat with some ER nurses/doctors, especially at trauma centers, and see if they think Golden Hour is nonsense. Or flight crews- chat them up at an event or at the track if they're there. Let us know. I can tell you Gary Jaehne might be alive today if he wasn't crashed out on the ground for hours before help got to him and to the hospital. We'll never know for Gary, we know time does matter.

Hey, if spending $75 a year is too steep or doesn't make sense- don't do it. But know that expense isn't just for you, it supports the air program overall so anyone needing an air ambulance- there's one in business and available for their call. It also supports everyone under your roof, as they are members too.

PS- I've loaded a half dozen people into air ambulances on Hwy 25 and elsewhere. Most made it and have good recovery and outcome stories. Some did not. Some died on the scene before any help could arrive. Some are/were BARF'ers.

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 10-30-2018 at 10:23 AM..
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #98
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

Perfect explanation, NorCalBusa!!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #99
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Quote:
I've loaded a half dozen people into air ambulances on Hwy 25 and elsewhere.
Good on you!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #100
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Helicopter evacs are not common in metro areas- access is daunting and ground ambulances can load and go making quick time to trauma centers (which are typically in metro areas). Stanford LifeFlight is a good example- in a metro, but sits on the edge of the Santa Cruz mountains as well- the bulk of their flights are interfacility, feeding their own specialty centers who give a very level of care, but if they are available, they'll go grab someone off the mountain if needed.

Your interesting read is written by a lawyer who sues ambulances and air med folks for a living. It's also an 8 year old article. You might go chat with some ER nurses/doctors, especially at trauma centers, and see if they think Golden Hour is nonsense. Or flight crews- chat them up at an event or at the track if they're there. Let us know. I can tell you Gary Jaehne might be alive today if he wasn't crashed out on the ground for hours before help got to him and to the hospital. We'll never know for Gary, we know time does matter.

Hey, if spending $75 a year is too steep or doesn't make sense- don't do it. But know that expense isn't just for you, it supports the air program overall so anyone needing an air ambulance- there's one in business and available for their call. It also supports everyone under your roof, as they are members too.

PS- I've loaded a half dozen people into air ambulances on Hwy 25 and elsewhere. Most made it and have good recovery and outcome stories. Some did not. Some died on the scene before any help could arrive. Some are/were BARF'ers.
Thanks for the cogent reply. It puts in perspective that almost all my time is spent in the metro area and dispatching a helicopter may be rare. Having said that, my helicopter evac decades ago to Valley Med happened after my crash on Bear Creek road somewhere between Los Gatos and Boulder Creek. Best I recall it took 20 minutes for CHP to arrive, +25 for EMT and +40 before I was finally airlifted. My point being it takes time for help to arrive. Luckily I was riding with two friends who had my back.

I'm saddened to hear that there was a delay in help arriving for Gary. I have fond memories of riding and brunching with his Squid Hunters posse a half dozen times back in the late 90s. Gary gave me pointers and advice which made an lasting impression on me. RIP Gary J..

The cost for Calstar is minimal. The fact that it covers family is a bonus. I don't want to assume Calstar is relevant for me. Knowing real world stats beyond marketing rhetoric or hearing from those who've directly benefited from Calstar would be convincing.

p.s. your mention of loading riders onto helicopters jogged an incident that happened during an impromptu group ride somewhere in the east bay that involved a helicopter evac. Rider1 got bumped from behind by Rider2. I missed the incident pulled up to see Rider2's bike down and him running around in a panic and shouting that Rider1 went down and was missing. We scrambled to search for the missing rider and found his bike down a hill and the rider unconscious with his neck unbelievably bent and compressed such that he couldn't breath - his face rapidly turning purple. Luckily we were able to re-position him and he started to breath on his own. I heard through the grapevine that the victim didn't remember a thing but made a full recovery. So, yeah, I get it, time matters - even seconds.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #101
LadyDragon
Lady Dragon

Motorcycles: Ninja 400, CBR 600 rip & Ninja 250 racebike
Name: Arin
Thanks for posting this!!! Just got a year's coverage for anyone in my household (mostly for me), Yay!!!! $65
Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #102
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDragon View Post
Thanks for posting this!!! Just got a year's coverage for anyone in my household (mostly for me), Yay!!!! $65
Awesome.

Don't forget- everyone under your roof is covered, be sure to call in their names/birthdays to get them onboard.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #103
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

Quote:
Awesome.

Don't forget- everyone under your roof is covered, be sure to call in their names/birthdays to get them onboard.
Smart LadyDragon!!!!
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #104
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

Smile On the road for the Holidays?!?!?!?

Please get your Membership coverage if you are traveling for the Holidays!!!
This is the time of year when most accidents and medical emergencies occur.
So PLEASE PLEASE get your coverage

If you have any questions...contact me 831-206-7447
Email: tracy.shearer@airmedcarenetwork.com

Online sign up (Emergent Membership only, Fly U Home not available online. Contact me directly)

www.amcnrep.com/tracy-shearer/
Discount Coupon/Group Code: 11380-CA-BUS
Track Code: 13793

Safe Holidays everyone!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #105
CALSTAR/REACH
Flying for you

BARF Partner in Safety

Hey Barfers

Who's ready to get out and ride?!?!?! With all this rain, we are all ready for some, "Adult Recess"!!!!! Before you do get out, please get coverage with AirMedCare Network Membership. SO easy to get signed up!! Just go to my website:
https://www.amcnrep.com/tracy-shearer/
type in your Discount/group coupon code: 11380-CA-BUS

If you have questions, contact me:
tracy.shearer@airmedcarentwork.com
831-206-7447

Watsonville base is up and operating, now even more coverage for the community!!
Saving lives everyday!!!!