Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 12-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #46
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
^^^I'm super down with such a bike, been thinking about it for years. I remember seeing that BBR trail bike on thumpertalk I believe, pretty sweet. I figure with 4t's grenading frequently, there's a good opportunity to pick one up for cheap and fit a smaller 4t motor and stripping all the nonessentials. Just haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to invest a few grand in the project.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #47
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale

Think how much lighter it would be without the e-start.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #48
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Stumbled upon this bike, and figured it deserved to be added to this thread... CR125 / XR200 hybrid. ~214lbs wet. This bike is rad.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...#entry10232413

Quote:
Keith is known throughout the southwest for his motorcycle building mastery. As a Honda dealer in the early 70’s, Keith was figuring out the best way to put XR motors into CR frames before the first Elsinore in America even hit the track. Keith’s Baja history is especially storied. Keith’s four-stroke 125s in CR frames have won the Tecate 500 twice and have led the Baja 1000. In a year when NO factory or support Honda even finished the Baja 1000, Keith finished 3rd on a four-stroke 250 in a CR frame. And though they might not admit it, Team Honda itself has solicited Keith’s expertise on more than one occasion. One year Keith built a bored and stroked XL175 in a CR125 frame that ran an honest 97 mph on the dry lakebeds. After shadowing Malcolm Smith’s Husky 400 for about 50 miles, the king himself had to inquire at a pit stop - “What the heck is that thing?” Keith’s tri-level shop, garage and private motorcycle museum are worthy of another story.

The request was simple - build a competitive small-bore four-stroke that would look, feel and handle like a CR. I’ve seen conversions that graft an entire XR cradle onto a CR backbone, but Keith feels that too much structural integrity is compromised with this strategy and footpeg relocation can get messy, too. CR frame material is still superior as well. Keith chose to build a new cradle utilizing ONE PIECE of chrome moly tubing that was creatively bent to curve from footpeg to footpeg THROUGH the original CR downtube.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #49
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
And another posted in the same thread... It is certainly getting me thinking....

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #50
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale