Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
self_moto
Rookie

Motorcycles: CBR600RR, STR, S1000RR
Name: Sergei
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Based on the pics it will be a miracle if the cylinder wall is ok. That valve head bounced around in it long enough to hole the piston. Also, the cylinder is almost certainly Nikasil, which means sending the block out and paying $600 to have it fixed and relined. Nobody uses cast iron liners anymore. And, as mentioned, there's pflug in the cases that went everywhere. I have torn down a couple of those. It's toast. Forget it.

Have you ever rebuilt a motorcycle motor? It's not exactly like a lawnmower.
Thanks for info(now YouTube suggests videos about Nikasil . )!

Added cylinder pics, there is a minor damage but I believe you can replace that sleeve only.

I look at this engine as a project and opportunity to learn how to rebuild one, Iíve swapped engine on bike last year(10k since swap), so there is no rush in fixing it, so to speak. Just gathering information, before deciding to do it or not.
self_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_moto View Post
Thanks for info(now YouTube suggests videos about Nikasil . )!

Added cylinder pics, there is a minor damage but I believe you can replace that sleeve only.

I look at this engine as a project and opportunity to learn how to rebuild one, I’ve swapped engine on bike last year(10k since swap), so there is no rush in fixing it, so to speak. Just gathering information, before deciding to do it or not.
If it's Nikasil you don't replace sleeves. You send the block in to a place like Millenium and they bore it out ( it's a small amount maybe .003", and then electroplate the liner back in, and rebore it and hone it. I don't think they do the inline fours one cylinder at a time. I think they only do all four. If it is one, it ends up about $350 ($250 for one plus $50 shipping each way), or all four $500-$700 or so plus shipping. The last two times it has cost me about $600. But I don't do them any more. I just buy another block.

Looked at the pics, that cylinder is gone. Looks like Nikasil.

Last edited by afm199; 01-03-2019 at 09:22 PM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #18
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Cylinder is buggered. And more than 0.003" worth.

Get yourself a running engine and if you want to, take it apart and freshen it up.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #19
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...4263#sch740185 the parts fiche shows sleeves

I stand by my statement that it isn't worth fixing though
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #20
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...4263#sch740185 the parts fiche shows sleeves

I stand by my statement that it isn't worth fixing though
Looks like it. Still not worth the trouble. The amount of junk that has spread around the engine interior is an issue as well. It can be amazingly hard to get out, including having to blow out all the oil passages and hope.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #21
_Chris_

Motorcycles: Triumph
Name:
@OP: Out of curiosity, how many miles are on the engine, what exactly happened?
_Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #22
self_moto
Rookie

Motorcycles: CBR600RR, STR, S1000RR
Name: Sergei
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Chris_ View Post
@OP: Out of curiosity, how many miles are on the engine, what exactly happened?
It had 38k miles on it. So, looking from images it looks like it dropped the valve.. what caused it - donít know for sure, after I got cover off, dropped valve (one sitting perpendicular) didnít have collet, not sure it was the cause or result of smashing valve into head.
self_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #23
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
If it's Nikasil you don't replace sleeves. You send the block in to a place like Millenium and they bore it out ( it's a small amount maybe .003", and then electroplate the liner back in, and rebore it and hone it. I don't think they do the inline fours one cylinder at a time. I think they only do all four. If it is one, it ends up about $350 ($250 for one plus $50 shipping each way), or all four $500-$700 or so plus shipping. The last two times it has cost me about $600. But I don't do them any more. I just buy another block.

Looked at the pics, that cylinder is gone. Looks like Nikasil.
If it's like the older gen Triumph motors, the sleeves can come out of the crankcase individually.

Mad
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #24
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
If it's like the older gen Triumph motors, the sleeves can come out of the crankcase individually.

Mad
Still, a complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection and rebuild is needed. Cheaper to buy a used runner.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote