Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
plaid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
Name: Barking
ouch

Coming to a stop, my front wheel locked, I fell down and went boom. Going about 2mph when things went sideways, so damage was minimal. Busted blinker lens & some muffler scratches. I did manage to land heavily. No broken limbs but every piece of leather gear was fully utilized. Both gloves, both boots, both pant legs, front and one arm of jacket. Helmet escaped unscathed. If I had been wearing jeans who knows where I would be now. All the gear all the time. The extraordinarily good news is that 3 people stopped, got out of their vehicles, and came to personally inspect me for brain damage. One woman and two men. All 50ish. The woman was going my way, so she went to the next exit, came back up the highway, parked on the far shoulder, and trotted across the highway to check on me. She took a lot of convincing before she was ready to head back to her car. Think she was wearing scrubs, so I was thinking health care professional of some description. Anyway, amazing. Nicest 3 people I have met in a row in possibly forever.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Why do you think that you locked the front wheel this time and not at the previous stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
plaid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
Name: Barking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Why do you think that you locked the front wheel this time and not at the previous stop?
Unbeknownst to me, a mechanical impediment at the lever/master cylinder working face had begun to cause the front brake to drag. On the highway the resultant friction began to slow the bike. I mistook the apparent lack of power as an electrical problem and pulled off the highway to the shoulder. The shoulder was nice and sandy as shoulders tend to be and the front wheel found it less troublesome to slide than to turn over the insidious rubbish. One of the gentlemen who stopped proffered his tools. With a screwdriver & small adjustable I unbolted the brake lever, cleared the mystery debris, and buttoned everything back up. Don't ask me about the mystery debris and I won't have to shame myself in public.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
splat
Veteran

Motorcycles: Mostly red ones
Name: Mark
Aftermarket brake lever?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
Don't ask me about the mystery debris and I won't have to shame myself in public.
No need to explain. Some of us are married now or have SOs that fill that need. But I'd be lying if I said my ride didn't scratch a certain itch from time to time.
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
kurth83
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda CB500X, BMW F700GS
Name:
If that helmet contacted pavement at all it needs to be replaced, the outer shell can be completely undamaged and the important part still need replacing. Sounds like you landed on your arms and gloves though.

Glad you are ok, that's the really important part. :-)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
CocoLoco
FN #5

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: CM450C (sold), FJ600 (sold), CBR1000RRx2
Name:
Glad to hear you're okay. I had the front end slip a bit pulling up to a stop sign last night. Must have been a combination of the light rain and some oil or some other type of cager juice deposited on the road. I wasn't in the middle of the lane either. Thankfully there were no other cars at the intersection as I rolled into it after letting off the brake.

Perfect people are boring as fuck.
-afm199
CocoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote