Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #61
V-Rod Chet

Motorcycles: Harley 2006 Street rod
Name:
This is a great thread, after reading all this, I wonder: Is it ok NOT to split lanes? Sometimes I just putt in traffic till I get bored. I'll dummy-up and ride the braille if lane splitting is the rule
Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #62
JPM
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1100, 650, and 1300
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod Chet View Post
This is a great thread, after reading all this, I wonder: Is it ok NOT to split lanes? Sometimes I just putt in traffic till I get bored. I'll dummy-up and ride the braille if lane splitting is the rule
I never split traffic when I'm at work unless I'm trying to get to a call. Only because there is no reason to hurry to one side of the city just to turn around and go back to the other side.
Also itís funny to see a bike split partway up until they see me sitting in traffic and they stop and try to blend in. If they think it is illegal then why do it in the first place?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 AM   #63
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
I never split traffic when I'm at work unless I'm trying to get to a call. Only because there is no reason to hurry to one side of the city just to turn around and go back to the other side.
Also itís funny to see a bike split partway up until they see me sitting in traffic and they stop and try to blend in. If they think it is illegal then why do it in the first place?
Wait a second; so you guys find shade, look cool, check yourselves out in big store windows, observe violators AND can see some dude splitting lanes way back?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #64
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod Chet View Post
please don't actually ride the braille
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #65
V-Rod Chet

Motorcycles: Harley 2006 Street rod
Name:
Junkie, I was just metaphorically speaking
Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #66
JPM
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Wait a second; so you guys find shade, look cool, check yourselves out in big store windows, observe violators AND can see some dude splitting lanes way back?
I'm a legend in my own mind.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #67
Sharke
Rookie

Motorcycles: 09' CBR1000RR
Name: Steve
lane share when prudent and if you are being not so prudent..(technical way hehe) then don't do it when cops are around. I have no problem bypassing slowpokes in the fast lane but only if I feel it safe. Take the law and use your experience and wisdom and I am sure we will all make it through the high quality ..(BAH HA HA..sorry) roads of this state
Sharke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #68
Mistyz
Turn Signal Nazi's!!!

Founding Member
Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: 07 KTM 250 SX-F, 03 DR650 SuperMewtard
Name: Melissa
I had a Moto Officer get on his intercom and tell me lanesplitting was illegal. Then he took off lansplitting

In hindsight, I was very new, probably wobbly, and he was probably trying to get me to consider my skill level and not become a skid mark on the freeway of life.

Great thread, thanks for posting it as a sticky.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #69
Razel
Veteran

BARF CAL 24 rider
Contributor !++++++!++++++ !

Motorcycles: BMW '10 K1300GT, BMW '03 K1200GT (for sale), '07 X-Challenge
Name: Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyz View Post
I had a Moto Officer get on his intercom and tell me lanesplitting was illegal. Then he took off lansplitting

In hindsight, I was very new, probably wobbly, and he was probably trying to get me to consider my skill level and not become a skid mark on the freeway of life.

Great thread, thanks for posting it as a sticky.
Lane splitting is illegal. Lane sharing isn't...
Gary Jaehne 5/2012
Razel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #70
Mistyz
Turn Signal Nazi's!!!

Founding Member
Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: 07 KTM 250 SX-F, 03 DR650 SuperMewtard
Name: Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Lane splitting is illegal. Lane sharing isn't...
Its all about the details.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #71
blackOnblack
back to black

Motorcycles: moto-less :(
Name: michaeL
What if you're on a 1 laned, 2 way "highway". (ie: 25, one lane going each direction). When traffic stops, do you take to the shoulder to continue on, or do you dare "share" to the left of the vehicle towards the middle of the road?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #72
Razel
Veteran

BARF CAL 24 rider
Contributor !++++++!++++++ !

Motorcycles: BMW '10 K1300GT, BMW '03 K1200GT (for sale), '07 X-Challenge
Name: Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
What if you're on a 1 laned, 2 way "highway". (ie: 25, one lane going each direction). When traffic stops, do you take to the shoulder to continue on, or do you dare "share" to the left of the vehicle towards the middle of the road?
It's attention-grabbing, and most likey to be followed by a "discussion", maybe even insistance on your autograph.
Gary Jaehne 5/2012
Razel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #73
JPM
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
If there is room on the left without any part of you or your bike crossing into the oncoming lane, and itís done at a reasonable speed, itís legal. Riding the shoulder is illegal.
If you search there have been a number of threads on this.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #74
Mickey_D100
Scares Children

Motorcycles: YZF600R
Name: Ryan
I've seen the question asked here in this thread, but I'm still not 100% clear - on a highway like 92W that gets completely bogged on weekends, with one lane going each way, according to JPM above it is legal to share a lane on the left provided that it can be done safely (questionable in the first place, since you'll be even closer to oncoming traffic) and completely within the space between cars on the right and the double yellow on the left.

However, is it legal to share on the right between the fog line and the cars on your left, provided you're not actually crossing the fog line and therefore, by JPM's definition, not riding the shoulder? I've read the VC that passing on the right is illegal, but does this apply in that situation?

I've seen definitive answers like JPM's regarding sharing to the left of stopped cars but haven't seen a statement regarding the acceptance of sharing on the right provided it is done entirely within a lane? I did a search but there's so many results it was tough to find anything. Based on JPM's statement that "If there is room on the left without any part of you or your bike crossing into the oncoming lane, and it’s done at a reasonable speed, it’s legal", it applies to either side of the lane, but just wanted to check.

Obviously, for those reading, IF right-side sharing is legal, one should take extra care when approaching a ride-side exit or a right turn opportunity. I currently don't share on the right side of a two-lane highway because of the questionable legality but if the answer is "yes, it's acceptable", it is something I would consider in certain situations, with the caveat of heightened vigilance in those scenarios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrupt View Post
Wow. When did I post that? I'm not saying I didn't post it, I just have no idea.
It is definitely something I would post and forget about.
There's nothing to see here, move along.
Mickey_D100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #75
Mickey_D100
Scares Children

Motorcycles: YZF600R
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D100 View Post
I've seen the question asked here in this thread, but I'm still not 100% clear - on a highway like 92W that gets completely bogged on weekends, with one lane going each way, according to JPM above it is legal to share a lane on the left provided that it can be done safely (questionable in the first place, since you'll be even closer to oncoming traffic) and completely within the space between cars on the right and the double yellow on the left.

However, is it legal to share on the right between the fog line and the cars on your left, provided you're not actually crossing the fog line and therefore, by JPM's definition, not riding the shoulder? I've read the VC that passing on the right is illegal, but does this apply in that situation?

I've seen definitive answers like JPM's regarding sharing to the left of stopped cars but haven't seen a statement regarding the acceptance of sharing on the right provided it is done entirely within a lane? I did a search but there's so many results it was tough to find anything. Based on JPM's statement that "If there is room on the left without any part of you or your bike crossing into the oncoming lane, and it’s done at a reasonable speed, it’s legal", it applies to either side of the lane, but just wanted to check.

Obviously, for those reading, IF right-side sharing is legal, one should take extra care when approaching a ride-side exit or a right turn opportunity. I currently don't share on the right side of a two-lane highway because of the questionable legality but if the answer is "yes, it's acceptable", it is something I would consider in certain situations, with the caveat of heightened vigilance in those scenarios.
I was able to find this just now. Here is an excellent post by MM4L (as usual ). My understanding is that it MAY be written as unsafe passing on the right, but that YMMV and that you assume a higher risk of write up when doing it on the right. Would that be the correct way to look at it?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ht#post2983018
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrupt View Post
Wow. When did I post that? I'm not saying I didn't post it, I just have no idea.
It is definitely something I would post and forget about.
There's nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited by Mickey_D100; 11-05-2007 at 10:49 AM..
Mickey_D100 is offline   Reply With Quote