Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto

Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
1kneedown
born too slow

Motorcycles: 4 Zooks and a Duc
Name:
IC...that is a tough question, and probably one for the tech inspector to opine on. Try PM'ing Tom Dorsey, aka Gilligan, 250p champion (on a DRZ!) and former (maybe current) head tech inspector for the AFM. His contact info might be on the afm website as well and I think berto had a thread in the racers corner trying to get in touch with him too. basically....all roads lead to Dorsey.

PS I'm pretty sure Dorsey's bike has nothing but a pipe, jet kit and some gearing changes. He's just friggin fast on a road course on that thing.

And it is a hoot to race these things, I am going to get in more than 2 races next year I swear.
Russell - AFM #946
-------------
My second trackday at Sears with CLASS schools and I was so proud to finally have scuffed a knee puck in T11, that is until Reg Pridmore made up an amusing anecdote for the entire group about how he broke his leg in a crash once and now one leg is shorter than the other so only one of his knees actually touches down as he races around the track.....several snickers around the room and eyes on yours truly....aka 1kneedown
1kneedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
nadrojp
hates tomatoes

Contributor

Motorcycles: '12 DRZ
Name: Jordan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
As I stated above; you can't change the carb, or even modify the airbox. Internal engine mods are ok -- except for big bore.

If I could do the carb, it would be on the bike already!
yeah, I was just clarifying for chi...My buddy jeremy was trying to get me to start racing afm in that class, but I have no time/ money right now... maybe in a few years!!!!! I was watching a yellow drz tear it up at infineon a few months back... I was like" wtf is that?... is that a... holy shit its a drz... wtf! " got me thinkin for sure though!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
gilligan
Rookie

Motorcycles: boss pony
Name:
Quote:
I'm wondering instead of buying a new one, if I can just re-use my old one by covering up the hole?
I'm not the head tech guy anymore, but if you cover the hole, it has to be permanent, not just duct tape. Also, the pan has to hold a minimum of 3 quarts of fluid or the engine capacity (1.7l on the DRZ) for it to be legal. You might want to have Tazman check it out before the season starts...

If you go with all the engine mods, keep in mind the bike will be illegal in 2009 since the 2005 and earlier exceptions will be eliminated from the rule book. Personally, I'd leave it pretty close to stock because it's more reliable. It's still a single...

Mine is the (faster) yellow 2006 and is stock other than an K&N, jetting (on the Fastline dyno), an FMF header/Leo Vince slip-on, sprockets, Dunlop tires and other minor mods. Biggest improvement was having the suspension done by Ray Perez of RJP Suspensions (408-245-4888). I had it lowered internally 2" up front, 1" in the rear and re-valved/sprung for my weight and style using the stock shock. It's also licensed and I used it to commute on part of the summer, on the race tires.

There are a couple of things I would do if I was going to race it another season that would be legal, but you'll have to email me off list to get those.

In addition, it's going to be for sale very soon since I don't want to re-new the insurance, have 3 other bikes in the garage and I'm coming up to my 2nd year of retirement racing AFM and need to find a new racebike...

Tom Dorsey
AFM 10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drz twinworks.bmp
Views:	503
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	233594  
gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #19
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
I'm not the head tech guy anymore, but if you cover the hole, it has to be permanent, not just duct tape. Also, the pan has to hold a minimum of 3 quarts of fluid or the engine capacity (1.7l on the DRZ) for it to be legal. You might want to have Tazman check it out before the season starts...

If you go with all the engine mods, keep in mind the bike will be illegal in 2009 since the 2005 and earlier exceptions will be eliminated from the rule book. Personally, I'd leave it pretty close to stock because it's more reliable. It's still a single...

Mine is the (faster) yellow 2006 and is stock other than an K&N, jetting (on the Fastline dyno), an FMF header/Leo Vince slip-on, sprockets, Dunlop tires and other minor mods. Biggest improvement was having the suspension done by Ray Perez of RJP Suspensions (408-245-4888). I had it lowered internally 2" up front, 1" in the rear and re-valved/sprung for my weight and style using the stock shock. It's also licensed and I used it to commute on part of the summer, on the race tires.

There are a couple of things I would do if I was going to race it another season that would be legal, but you'll have to email me off list to get those.

In addition, it's going to be for sale very soon since I don't want to re-new the insurance, have 3 other bikes in the garage and I'm coming up to my 2nd year of retirement racing AFM and need to find a new racebike...

Tom Dorsey
AFM 10
Hi Tom, Thanks for chiming in and congrats on your 1st place finish in 250P.

The reason why I even want to do motor mods, is because I only really plan on doing this class for one year, and moving onto something else the following year. Regardless of what happens, I will still want to ride the DRZ in the street as my other motard is a time bomb

I'll email you for those tips and I'll talk to Ray about getting my forks redone.

Thanks again!
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #20
Dove
productively obsessed

Contributor

Motorcycles: didn't keep me single!
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrigginChi View Post
Hooli won't like that!
Gold.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #21
kenrock1000
Im not dumb, Im 'tarded!

Contributor

Motorcycles: 06' DRZ400SM
Name: Kenny G
Quote:
You saw how many blacks there were at the techday?
Mine has a little green in it
Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 AM   #22
kenrock1000
Im not dumb, Im 'tarded!

Contributor

Motorcycles: 06' DRZ400SM
Name: Kenny G
I know its not a performance mod...but maybe switch out the ACCT for a MCCT?

Its one of those piece of mind things, for me at least. I havent seen too many with it though,
Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #23
reynolds_brad
50NUT

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ducati Angrymoosetard
Name: Really?
If your going to tear all the way down into the bottom end to install ceramic bearings, put in a +5mm hotrod crank while your at it and add a SSW cylinder spacer, then choose from a assortment of bore kits.

take your time, its not like you dont have other bikes to play with. Have the head ported and valve seats enlarged by a few mm on both intake and exhaust, then run your Ecams and a FCR41.

In fact just pull your motor and send it to Sisneros Speed Works.
reynolds_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #24
Papi-C
DOGS = WIN

Contributor

Motorcycles: Many
Name: Luis
Quote:
Other than the rule exception, I like the yellow. More specifically, I like the yellow/red combo. You saw how many blacks there were at the techday?

True it was like a motorcycle funeral LOL.
Papi-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #25
wikidklown
Bike Killer

Motorcycles: Waiting on the new one
Name:
Nice Stan and congrats!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #26
FrigginChi
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: are for riding.
Name: Chi
This is the TRUTH!

Tues-Fri 10am-6pm, Sat by appt.

I have a lot of useful information, but I offer it at the most useless times

www.myspace.com/fuckinchi
FrigginChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #27
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Bike is coming along.. Going through my suspension options now. I've already spoken with Ray Perez regarding setting up the bike, and for the price, it sounds like a real good deal! I've also outsourced an Ohlin's rear shock, and I may put that on this weekend.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #28
reynolds_brad
50NUT

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ducati Angrymoosetard
Name: Really?
Quote:
Bike is coming along.. Going through my suspension options now. I've already spoken with Ray Perez regarding setting up the bike, and for the price, it sounds like a real good deal! I've also outsourced an Ohlin's rear shock, and I may put that on this weekend.

Rays a great guy.

Im interested to hear the outcome of his work on the DRZ.
reynolds_brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #29
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds_brad View Post
Rays a great guy.

Im interested to hear the outcome of his work on the DRZ.
Hey Brad, i'll probably just go with him. I was somewhat concerned about internally lowering the fork and shock, since this will still be a street bike, but he said it should be fine for street duty.

Also have an R6 throttle tube coming
Old 11-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #30
Dion Rides
Pretty much BMX now...

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, CX, MTB...
Name: Dion
The Ultimate DRZ-400SM Thread - Mods, Tips and Tricks

Can somebody post the very basic mods? Like jetting settings, 3X3 airbox mod, popluar exhaust choices, etc?

Last edited by Dion Rides; 11-29-2007 at 06:51 AM..
Dion Rides is offline   Reply With Quote