Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 06-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
LaydeJai26

Motorcycles: 2002 Buell Blast
Name: Jamie
Thumbs up

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! I printed it out so i can always have it for a reference for when i'm not online
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
Cynful1

Motorcycles: Triumph TT600
Name: Cynthia
I have only driven 40-50 miles so far. I found this to be very helpful!! Thank you for taking the time to write this!
Cynful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #33
Triple Threat
Be like water My friend..

TTT President
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, BMW S1000RR & R1200RT
Name: Michael
Glad this thread is still going strong!

Triple

Real World Review: Tires, Tires, Tires

Rider Basics 101: The Best First Bike?

Team Triple Threat / Team Medium Pace / Pie GP Veteran / Moto Photo Game 1 Winner / Odometer Game 1 Winner
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #34
Emcee Child
Bad British Stereotype

Motorcycles: Yamaha V-Star Classic 1100
Name: Mick
Fantastic post, well thought out and written.
Emcee Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #35
Ryburrr
Rookie

Motorcycles: sadly, in-between...
Name: Ryan
haha! me too man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyriik View Post
I kinda feel like a dope not really looking into BARF sooner, I just took the MSF class about 2 months ago, while it greatly helped me with everything, there was still a lot that went unanswered.

I've laid my bike down 3 times already, 2 of which were caused by nervousness and hesitation in a fairly simple low speed turn, the 3rd thanks to bambi. The worst was dodging the deer at 50-60 in a turn (Stupid overconfidence >.<) earning me a wonderful bruise and a scraped knee, bike is ok thanks to the brutus frame sliders that came with it. (I HIGHLY recommend them to everyone), my arms and limbs all ok thanks to repetitive muscle memory in falling in rolling (Woo Tae Kwon Do ) and having plenty of space to do it at that time with the help of my jacket and helmet, I rode home fairly fine that night.

The other 2 lay downs were newbie mistakes, riding a 2003 Yamaha R6 with street tires. Your bike will !!!NOT!!! stop on dirt, I panicked in a turn and figured I'd straighten up the bike and come to a bit of an emergency stop. Sure... emergency stops utilizing both breaks sometimes works, by that I mean NOT in a turn and NOT on loose dirt, or earth of any kind on street tires.

Anywho, Imma stop rambling, I just figured someone could learn from me being a dope within my first month and a half of riding.
Sounds like you and I have had a lot in common for the first few month on these things!
Ryburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
St.WingsQueen

Motorcycles: Sportster
Name:
This was an amazing post. There were so many things in this post I hadn't thought about. Based on other experienced riders that have responded to this post, I'm happy I got a chance to read this before I started riding. I also appreciate the information the other riders have added.
St.WingsQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #37
sophukinamzn

Motorcycles: 03 suzuki gsxr600
Name: trae
Right on
sophukinamzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
LightningRhod
N00b!

Motorcycles: in progress...
Name: Rhod
I've read this post NUMEROUS times. Such great advice and insight
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #39
flynav

Motorcycles: A friends
Comprehensive and life saving insight never comes cheap. Thank you for sharing.
flynav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #40
Addi65
The German

Motorcycles: British
Name: Niko
You brought it on the point dude.
Addi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #41
looksister

Motorcycles: Suzuki SV650
Name:
Agreed, this is GREAT information! I am actually at a point where I want to ride more on my own (instead of always with my guy, who is a very experienced and safe rider). It's a huge difference to go for a ride by myself, and the level of anticipatory nervousness is slowing me down quite a bit. I loved reading this post, because it reminded me that feeling might just be....normal! As the weather gets nicer and nicer, the urge to ride is overtaking that feeling.

I'm looking forward to checking out the books mentioned. I'm also reading The Soft Science of Motorcycle Racing by Keith Code, even though I have no intention of racing. It's all about how you think while you ride, and how to "spend your thinking" properly so that you are less likely to find yourself in a panic situation.

Thanks!
looksister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #42
Triple Threat
Be like water My friend..

TTT President
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, BMW S1000RR & R1200RT
I really appreciate all the positive feedback. I consider myself a safety advocate and wanted to share a situation that happened to me just today.

I was on Hwy 17 heading to San Jose from Santa Cruz. I was on the outside of a left hand sweeping turn. Right as I'm passing a newish Audi (it was to my right) he starts to move into me pushing me towards the center wall. I initially wanted to honk my horn, but since all my senses were needed I focused on the turn, throttled up and just barely made it pass the front bumper before the driver realized I was there. In hind sight, if I had honked, I may of scared the driver into loosing control, or worse.

The driver never bothered to look over his shoulder or check his mirror, at least not carefully. I almost became a statistics today, my bike was inches from the wall and I was kicking up dirt and rocks. One thing I had going for me is I never stay or sit next to a car on the freeway, so the fact that I had momentum and was already passing the car, I merely added gas and slid past the Audi.

I normally don't get mad when it comes to close calls, but this one really got to me, I knew if I made it out it would be by the skin of my teeth. I saw my life flash before my eyes. All the driver had to do is look over his shoulder, which shouldn't of be to hard? If I had gotten hit, I'm sure I would've died, that wall, the on coming traffic on the other side, not to mention all the cars behind me I can't imagined I could of or would've lived.

Tip of the day: Never stay next to cars while driving, either pass or stay to the rear so if they do come over they won't hit you. Also, never get between a car and a freeway exit or offramp. We've all seen car's that are going to miss an exit and make a sudden dive for the exit. If you get caught in that "fatal funnel" you could have a very bad day.

Triple

Real World Review: Tires, Tires, Tires

Rider Basics 101: The Best First Bike?

Team Triple Threat / Team Medium Pace / Pie GP Veteran / Moto Photo Game 1 Winner / Odometer Game 1 Winner

Last edited by Triple Threat; 04-01-2015 at 09:59 PM..
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #43
CrazyGenius
Green Street Warrior

Mod Alumni
Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: 2011 ZERO DS, 2008 XB12XT Buell Ulysses 1203, Mortified 2001 Custom Cafe Ninja EX250
Name: Gerard

Once again thanks for sharing your always to the point and so valuable first hand experience with all of us on BARF, not just to newbies to riding, Mike.

Thanks for reminding us NEVER to ride next to cage(s) that could come into your lane and transform us into another statistics. I always get nervous when a car stay "parallel" to me too long and either speed up to pass it or slow down to let it pass me.

I'm so glad you are OK and made out of this hairy close call SAFELY thanks to your quick reaction and experience in handling tough situation like today's.

Ride SAFE and be vigilant everyone !

CG / Gerard

Carpe Diem - Seize The Day Get out there & make it a GREAT day.. while riding, if you can !

ASK ME about languages : Interpreting & Translating & Private Tutoring -- Polyglot Services: French, English, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Japanese, some Spanish & a little Mandarin

crazygeniusgt@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
You are a crazy genius!!! - Jan 23 2014
CrazyGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #44
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
I really appreciate all the positive feedback. I consider myself a safety advocate and wanted to share a situation that happened to me just today.

I was on Hwy 17 heading to San Jose from Santa Cruz. I was on the outside of a left hand sweeping turn. Right as I'm passing a newish Audi (it was to my right) he starts to move into me pushing me towards the center wall. I initially wanted to honk my horn, but since all my senses were needed I focused on the turn, throttled up and just barely made it pass the front bumper before the driver realized I was there. In hind sight, if I had honked, I may of scared that person in to loosing control or worse.

What seemed to happen is the driver never bothered to look over his shoulder or check his mirror carefully. I almost became a statistics today, my bike was inches from the wall and I was kicking up dirt and rocks. One thing I had going for me is I never stay or sit next to a car on the freeway, so the fact that I had momentum and was already passing the car, I merely added gas and slid past the Audi.

I normally don't get mad when I come close to getting hit, but this one really got to me, I knew if I made it out it would be by the skin of my teeth. I saw my life flash before my eyes. All the driver had to do is look over his shoulder, not to hard. If I had gotten hit, I'm sure I would've died, that wall, the on coming traffic on the other side, not to mention all the cars behind me I can't imagined I could of or would've lived.

Tip of the day: Never stay next to cars while driving, either pass or stay to the rear so if they do come over they won't hit you. Also, never get between a car and a freeway exit or offramp. We've all seen car's that are going to miss an exit and make a sudden dive for the exit. If you get caught in that "fatal funnel" you're likely to have a very bad day.

Triple
Wow Michael! Glad it was only a close call!

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #45
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Glad to hear it turned out okay for you! One advantage of rising a Ural: I'm always in the right-hand lane and rarely get to pass people!