Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Laws & Lawmakers

Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROL View Post
This ^^^

Most especially that part.
Let's see. My first social security payments were in 1962. I was living in Germany and worked at a Armed Forces meat processing plant. It paid, gasp, no lie, 55 cents an hour. (Equivalent to German wages at that time). They took social security out of that. O, yeah, here I am fifty years later STILL paying into the system.

BTW, for anyone who wants to know what inflation really means: In 1962 gas cost me 25 cents a gallon and hamburger was about 30 cents a pound.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
day004
Major PITA

AMA Life Member #538338
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: VFR1200f
Name: Dave
Soscial Security was never an interest bearing account. That would lead one to believe that we all have an account in our name that we fund. Never true. SS is an INSURANCE policy. and works like one. You dont fund your own bike policy ,you fund all the current claimants with the belief that when you need it it will pay you too. Same for SS.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is not.
day004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
CoorsLight
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: smell good
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by day004 View Post
Soscial Security was never an interest bearing account. That would lead one to believe that we all have an account in our name that we fund. Never true. SS is an INSURANCE policy. and works like one. You dont fund your own bike policy ,you fund all the current claimants with the belief that when you need it it will pay you too. Same for SS.
This.

Ms. Myers doesn't fully understand what she's ranting about.
CoorsLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Yah, well my social security check comes in a week, and I'm making plans for the track

You kids keep working, I enjoy lying around and sucking off the tit.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
The best plan is not planning on Social Security being there when you need it. I've been putting money elsewhere for years with the goal of not having to rely on or even expect Social Security in my older years.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
jh2586
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '16 Ninja 300 Ď17 Z900
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
The best plan is not planning on Social Security being there when you need it. I've been putting money elsewhere for years with the goal of not having to rely on or even expect Social Security in my older years.
ROTH IRA/TSP > SS

Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoorsLight View Post
This.

Ms. Myers doesn't fully understand what she's ranting about.
She is ranting that she paid in via a tax with a promised pay out.
Call it what you want ..the above is what was sold to Patty.

When our own Government sells such to a citizen we should believe it..riiiiiight?
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
HIglesias
Veteran

Motorcycles: '03 R6 '99 R1100S 99'KDX200
Name: Henry
I dunno. I believe we owe it to our elders to take car of them. Much like injured military.

Politicians are needed, that's the way our style of democracy is set up. Too many, if not all, are worthless. But its the system that made them this way. The only way to fix it, IMO, is to let it fail and rebuild it the right way. More like an evolution as opposed to a revolution.
HIglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
R1-Limited
Banned

Motorcycles: two wheel kind
Name: JL 4 Short
I can agree with taking care of our elderly and military. To do this we need to kick off the Illegals, the Lazy, the incompetent and the scammers from the system. That alone would bring Social Security back.

This lady has a legit gripe and nailed it right on the head. The POS politicians use the elderly as a tool to scare everyone into thinking the opposite of what is reality and the reality is exactly what Myers Stated.

I was forced to go on MediCal and MediCad in 2010. I was refused. I had no money in the bank, had no assets to sell and yet I came to get this so my daughter can get insulin. After 3 hearings we where granted this. My first visit I witnessed 3 people who could not speak a lick of English walk out with 225 emergency funds. I wonder how many times a day through the nation these illegals get 225 cash for emergency? yet I after paying into the system for 30 plus years had to beg
R1-Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
As a self employed individual I pay 13.4% of my income out for mandatory "entitlements" what the F**k is entitled about that?

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
ebRider
Newbie in Training

Motorcycles: a black one
Name: Erik
As a young person, i see it as some group of people sold people in the same generation an unsustainable plan paid for with their taxes. I think maybe you should have stopped it 40 years ago. Basically their 'greedy' generation came up with a plan to pay a little bit now and get it all back from the younger generation later. The politicians of their era got re-elected partially on the basis of SS, so I lay the blame partially with those that voted.

Edit: I should add this is heavily influenced by growing up in the 90s. Growing up my parents said they never expect to get a dime back from SS but at least their parents are getting SS payments so in effect, they are giving money to their parents with the gov in the middle taking a %. My parents dont expect to get any SS, I dont expect to get any SS, its just a black hole of nothing to me.

Edit2: And i might need to add i only apply this to the retirement portion of SS, Disability and the myriad other things SS does are another discussion.

Last edited by ebRider; 05-12-2013 at 11:16 AM..
ebRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
Hey ebRider, you might want to spend a few minutes and research SS.
DT
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
ebRider
Newbie in Training

Motorcycles: a black one
Name: Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrides View Post
Hey ebRider, you might want to spend a few minutes and research SS.
DT
Apologies if i'm not clear, I dont mean that SS was created 40 years ago, I mean politicians the entire lifespan of the people currently retiring have been promising to fix SS. LBJ, JFK, Bush, etc. Certainly the congress's at the time as well. In the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s SS faced shortfalls but instead of killing it it has continuously just received a higher and higher portion of the working stiffs salery. In essence pushing the bill down to the next generation.

If you mean something else please describe and link, 'history' is a long subject and something i enjoy learning about.

Last edited by ebRider; 05-13-2013 at 06:00 AM..
ebRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Fixing and privatizing are separate issues. One of the foremost problems with SS was/is that it was a giant pot of gold, funds were "borrowed" and not paid back, bonds were issued, and now we are entering a crisis.

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebRider View Post
As a young person, i see it as some group of people sold people in the same generation an unsustainable plan paid for with their taxes. I think maybe you should have stopped it 40 years ago. Basically their 'greedy' generation came up with a plan to pay a little bit now and get it all back from the younger generation later. The politicians of their era got re-elected partially on the basis of SS, so I lay the blame partially with those that voted.

Edit: I should add this is heavily influenced by growing up in the 90s. Growing up my parents said they never expect to get a dime back from SS but at least their parents are getting SS payments so in effect, they are giving money to their parents with the gov in the middle taking a %. My parents dont expect to get any SS, I dont expect to get any SS, its just a black hole of nothing to me.

Edit2: And i might need to add i only apply this to the retirement portion of SS, Disability and the myriad other things SS does are another discussion.
Read some history, please.