Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #46
Rel
Groveland, where's that?

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: None. :(
Name: Estaban
So, we need to put together a list of tracks and cost, including air fare, hotel cost and equipment and go from there....
Rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #47
JaehneJ
AMBULANCE GIRL

Motorcycles: Kawasaki
Name:
What a fantastic idea! Go for it!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #48
SLOWREX03
Veteran

Motorcycles: '09 Versys
Name: Justin
im down to donate. sounds like an awesome, awesome plan and based on what im reading here, it sounds like you came to the right place to get the ball rolling. you rock barf!
SLOWREX03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
jonko
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2004 gsxr 600
Name:
You have moved me to tears. Thank you all.

Thank you all for your offers of financial support. I appreciate your generosity, but I would like to pay my own way. I am not well off, but I have been lucky in life. I have some money saved up and have no heirs. It is there to spend as I see fit.

I would like to take it slow. I don't imagine myself taking a whirlwind tour from track to track. I have other obligations not to mention the treatments required. But I do take this seriously. I pledge now to take this as far as I can.

I guess the next step is to come up with a plan. I would likely do Laguna again to kick things off. I think CotA and Indy would likely be my next stops. Then something overseas. I will have to see what makes the most sense. I am going to follow up with some of you regarding contacts and such.

Again, I am really touched by all your responses.
jonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #50
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rel View Post
So, we need to put together a list of tracks and cost, including air fare, hotel cost and equipment and go from there....
this. the key will be hitting as many tracks in europe in one trip as possible. and then basically doing a series of flyaways, not unlke the GP sched, to hit PI, sepang, motegie, all in a row.

if he follows the gp sched from this year, there are three usa rounds.

the hardest round to hit will be qatar.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=501779
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #51
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRIDER7 View Post
Life is not about the number of years, but the life lived in those years.
Truth A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	431148  
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #52
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonko View Post
You have moved me to tears. Thank you all.

Thank you all for your offers of financial support. I appreciate your generosity, but I would like to pay my own way. I am not well off, but I have been lucky in life. I have some money saved up and have no heirs. It is there to spend as I see fit.

I would like to take it slow. I don't imagine myself taking a whirlwind tour from track to track. I have other obligations not to mention the treatments required. But I do take this seriously. I pledge now to take this as far as I can.

I guess the next step is to come up with a plan. I would likely do Laguna again to kick things off. I think CotA and Indy would likely be my next stops. Then something overseas. I will have to see what makes the most sense. I am going to follow up with some of you regarding contacts and such.

Again, I am really touched by all your responses.

i think you wanna hit all three usa tracks. and then try a euro trip where you can nail down a few tracks in one trip (not as dauntng as it sounds).

you def need to start planning spain, as there are a bulk of tracks there. hell if you went uk, france, spain, you could get 6 tracks, bam bam bam
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=501779
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #53
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Do it!!!! The late great Ronnie Lane used to say, "It's a real short movie, man." Indeed it is.

My good friend and riding guru, Colin Barlow had inoperable, incurable cancer. I had to good fortune to join him in making good use of his time. He came to California and rode with me, we rode together in the Alps twice, and finally near his home in the UK. Great times all the way around. He's behind me in the photo below, taken in front of my house when he was over here riding.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #54
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Jonko...

I applaud your drive, desire and strength. Especially the strength to ask for help!
Your hopes and plans are inspiring.

What I think would really help make this dream/desire a reality would be to find an international racing team or manufacturer who would listen, understand and be able to help make it happen.
This takes getting the word out.
Since large race teams and manfacturers are in it (racing) for the recognition, and potential sales that come from that recognization, proposing a team/factory sponsorship to a terminal short termer could be well beyond what their marketing department could dream up.

Anyone got any ideas to creating a Youtube request that could be driven viral to the point of luring one (or more) of these potential sponsers into interest in helping?

Meanwhile... Keep your head up (unless your tucked behind a fairing) and your spirits soaring.

Dream On!
m0t0_ryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #55
DucatiHoney
Ride only user

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
I know you said Phillip Island is maybe not on the list (or its coming up for another time?) but I have some acquaintances in Australia who would put you up. I have a good friend moving there who is quite familiar with track stuff and has ridden there--if he's there he's probably get you a ride out there and show you the ropes. Let me know if you want to be put in touch.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #56
reno240sx
Rookie

Motorcycles: r6
Name:
It might be worthwhile to reach out to a magazine or small film company, motorcycle manufacturer, or gear company. They may be interested in sponsoring a project like this. I know you said you want to pay your own way, but they may be able to open some doors and help you get onto the tracks that don't offer as many trackdays. Also, I think it would be an incredible story to share. Personally, I would love to read/watch your adventure.
reno240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
Spiral
Veteran

Motorcycles: an invisible one =(
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno240sx View Post
It might be worthwhile to reach out to a magazine or small film company, motorcycle manufacturer, or gear company. They may be interested in sponsoring a project like this. I know you said you want to pay your own way, but they may be able to open some doors and help you get onto the tracks that don't offer as many trackdays. Also, I think it would be an incredible story to share. Personally, I would love to read/watch your adventure.
^^THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnshiftsdywayz View Post
When you feel like a complete failure...just hop on bart..or take a stroll through Wal-Mart....That'll shape things up Real quick.
Why won't God heal amputees?

Dollar Shave Club
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #58
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FZ09
Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

Directly translated, it says:
Life is like a motor race; nobody knows how much petrol Destiny has poured into our tank. There are people who have theirs full and people who, without knowing it, come to life already low on petrol but...no matter if yours is full or you have only a few drops, what counts is going at top speed till your last drop of life.
Updated - found the direct translation printout.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
NorCalAthlete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #59
97rr
Veteran

Barf Racing (Dad)

Motorcycles: CBR 900RR
Name: Ivan
Hello Jonko,

I am sorry to read about this, but like the rest of the folks here, I think it would be awesome to follow your dream.

With that said, my family and I moved to Spain in August of this year and live close to Barcelona. We are about 15 minutes from the Catalunya circuit (we can actually hear F1 cars testing, we're that close).

Catalunya holds trackdays but they do it a little bit differently than US. They have 30 min slots and you can buy "slots", rather than full days.

You can find more information here: http://www.circuitcat.com/en/tandas/normativa.php

There is also a local company which provides US-like trackdays: http://www.motozk.com/onroad.php. They do that at Catalunya (also known as Montmelo) and Aragon (Motorland). You can find more info here: http://www.motozk.com/calendario.php...io&area=onroad

For Jerez, you can look here: http://www.circuitodejerez.com/index.php?id=89&L=1 The "competition" days are normally for racers. Meaning, a team will rent the track and will allow other racers to join to help with the overall cost. However, if the dates matched, I'm sure they could accomodate

The links I shared with you are for 2013, however, they give you an idea of what is possible. If you do decide to do this, let me know (ivan@alonso.tv) and I would be happy to do anything we can to help you tie-up loose ends to make it happen.

Ivan
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #60
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Dearest Jon,

So sorry to hear about your situation. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Good luck with your quest. Lil' bro can put you up in Austin, lend you a track bike, and lead the way in COTA. Just say the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonko View Post
I want my life to mean something.
2 cents: make altruism the guiding principle of your quest.

All the best,

Marcus.