Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #61
thenewwazoo
esculenta delicta

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: RC79 / RC46 / RC31 / NC35
Name:
This is going to sound like a weird suggestion, but bear with me.

If you think it's sensible, consider taking your bike to Moto Guild (SF or SV) and working on it there for a while. You'll get a really good sense for what tools you really need, and what organization strategies work well. I did that, and when it came time to "build" my home workshop, I'd already figured out what I liked vs disliked.

Redeem the following codes for a thrill!
Code:
[ 0 - 180 - 450 - 630] <- for fun
[ 0 -  90 - 360 - 450] <- for more fun
thenewwazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #62
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewwazoo View Post
This is going to sound like a weird suggestion, but bear with me.

If you think it's sensible, consider taking your bike to Moto Guild (SF or SV) and working on it there for a while. You'll get a really good sense for what tools you really need, and what organization strategies work well. I did that, and when it came time to "build" my home workshop, I'd already figured out what I liked vs disliked.
Not weird at all.

When I read your posting I saw that you did your RVF at Moto Guild. Makes a lot of sense and I did consider it. Tools, expertise, organized, comfortable, etc. a lot going for it. Unfortunately, distance is an issue and I can only work in small chuncks of time so not very efficient for my present situation. May reconsider at differnt phase of project.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #63
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Session 6: Awesome tool set

Afterwork tinkering with toolchest was not w/o incident. I had loosely assembled the uprights to the base and just about to tighten everything only then realizing I assembled them all upside down. Butter side down 4 times in a row! #$!@&%! Remove all nuts, bolts, washers, shuffle uprights, and reassemble. I may never learn to read instructions first

On the bright side amazed by quality of my new Costco tool set. It has all the features I was looking for: 72 ratchet teeth, smooth round handles, socket ejector, ratchet direction toggle switch, 6-point sockets, legible markings, color marked SAE v. metric and, MOST IPORTANTLY, a reliable and well designed storage case. Bonus: MIT (Made In Taiwan)!

I have suffered with an infuriating Craftsman set for 20 years. The tools are fine it's the storage case that is a POS. Every time I went to open the case, I would shudder forced to spend 15 minutes reorganizing everything that fell out of its holder. I joke not, every time. I promised myself that if I ever bought another socket set it better damn well have a solid organizer. The Costco set has it in spades and is $20 off now, only $79. Can't wait to put 'em to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-09 18.51.33.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	494415   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-09 18.52.00.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	494416  

Last edited by RVFRick; 05-11-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #64
Outlaws Justice
Veteran

AMA #383234
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Several Bikes
Name: David
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFRick View Post
The tools are fine it's the storage case that is a POS. Every time I went to open the case, I would shudder forced to spend 15 minutes reorganizing everything that fell out of its holder. I joke not, every time. I promised myself that if I ever bought another socket set it better damn well have a solid organizer. The Costco set has it in spades and is $20 off now, only $79. Can't wait to put 'em to use.
I have three of these sets from Sam's Club. I used to keep a set at each training facility for working on the bikes when needed when it was stuff I could do at the site.

Hero's will be remembered, but Legends Never Die!
Outlaws Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #65
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
This thread is bringing back memories of the Ducati 888 SPO that I had for six years. I bought it from the original owner and it was all stock. But I had to remove rust from the fuel tank, replace the regulator/rectifier (after it blew out at night a few miles away), and fix a few other things. It was a beautiful bike, but I didn't feel that I could ride it properly, because if I ever layed it down there are no replacement parts available to fix it. I felt like the bike was always mocking me to go faster and not be a wuss. I finally sold it to a guy in Canada who had had one before and was now in a position to appreciate such a bike. Parked it next to his Ferrari.

As for the toolbox, Getting a big Harbor Freight rolling toolbox made a huge difference in my ability to find the tools I need. Screwdrivers in the top drawer, pliers next, etc. It's a worthwhile investment.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #66
apf
Veteran

Motorcycles: 250
Name:
Love this thread! Reminds me very much of my first 2 months with the MC28. Though, it's a never-ending project.

Some tips that i've found helpful when refreshing my own:
-If you don't already have one, get a service manual (can probably download online) as I've found these older models sometimes have strange anomalies like counter rotation bolts
-Find a parts book for the bike so you can cross reference part numbers. Lots of bolts, caps and random pieces can be found on other Honda models like dirt bikes, cruisers, etc and be purchased through a US dealer like BikeBandit. For example my calipers are interchangeable with 900rr and the radiator cap is the same as a CR
-The folks at tyga-performance are awesome and shipping from Thailand is faster than from the East Coast. They have lots of random knick knacks and also fabricate some of their own stuff
-Scour Yahoo! Japan (there's services that can help you buy and ship at a % of purchase price)
-JIS screwdrivers help to prevent camming out out bolt heads
-Both really long 8inch+ and stubby 2inch screw driver come in handy
-You'll want a really quality set of allen key sockets as the cheap ones tend to strip the heads easily if they don't fit snug
-The bike already looks super clean, but i'd give it a good thorough detailing inside out, so any weirdness is obviously apparent and it forces you to peek in the cracks and crevices

Last edited by apf; 05-10-2017 at 12:15 PM..
apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #67
thenewwazoo
esculenta delicta

Contributor + 1%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apf View Post
-If you don't already have one, get a service manual (can probably download online) as I've found these older models sometimes have strange anomalies like counter rotation bolts
FYI, Rick, the best/only English manual for the NC35 is the Haynes book. It's not as good as a factory service manual, but it has what you need. I'm not aware of any FSM translation in existence (and in point of fact, have never found a digital or print copy of the FSM in Japanese, either).

And yeah, Tyga is great. They don't make stock-reproduction stuff, but if you want to modify the bike, they're a great resource. Rick Oliver, Graeme France, Jap4Performance, &c too. There are a lot of NC enthusiasts out there. The 400greybike forum is a must-visit.

Code:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #68
apf
Veteran

Motorcycles: 250
Name:
Great point on the FSM language - luckily someone on nsr-world translated the whole thing to English, binded and sold them

Tyga carries some random stock bits, bolts and what not in addition to mods. I've gotten power valve cables, honda bolts, rubber grommets, etc.

+1 on jap4performance - never ordered from them 1st hand, but have heard great things!

Oh and Stewart at RisingSunCycles has helped me source some carb gasket sets too.

Quote:
FYI, Rick, the best/only English manual for the NC35 is the Haynes book. It's not as good as a factory service manual, but it has what you need. I'm not aware of any FSM translation in existence (and in point of fact, have never found a digital or print copy of the FSM in Japanese, either).

And yeah, Tyga is great. They don't make stock-reproduction stuff, but if you want to modify the bike, they're a great resource. Rick Oliver, Graeme France, Jap4Performance, &c too. There are a lot of NC enthusiasts out there. The 400greybike forum is a must-visit.
apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #69
Krooklyn
Usual Suspect

Motorcycles: NC35 Tuono V4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apf View Post
+1 on jap4performance - never ordered from them 1st hand, but have heard great things!.
Aren't they just Tyga resellers? I always found their prices to be much higher than just buying the same thing from Tyga directly. Also, due to the GBP not being too valuable vs the USD these days sometimes it's cheaper to order parts from the UK vs going through RSC.

Oh, David Silver Spares - they have a US branch these days and can get a lot of OEM NC35 stuff.
Krooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #70
thenewwazoo
esculenta delicta

Contributor + 1%

Name:
For carb seals, I'd highly recommend LiteTek's viton seals. They fit my bike perfectly, and viton stands up to EtOH far better than rubber.

Code:
Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #71
Rob
House Cat

Contributor

Motorcycles: Too many and yet... Not enough.
Name: I forget
OK... while I love the thread...

You guys that have "been there and done that" are making it a bit too easy.

It's like the punchline before the joke... the spoiler...

OP: It looks like you're diving into your first "build" and it's a whopper! I wish you the best in your journey and hope it's exciting and fun! ...ahem... fellas...

Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #72
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Quote:
Awwwwwwwwww yeeeaaahhhhhhhh

Here's mine last Saturday

Sweet photo and love the "Awwwwwwwwww yeeeaaahhhhhhhh" caption!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #73
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
OK... while I love the thread...

You guys that have "been there and done that" are making it a bit too easy.

It's like the punchline before the joke... the spoiler...

OP: It looks like you're diving into your first "build" and it's a whopper! I wish you the best in your journey and hope it's exciting and fun! ...ahem... fellas...

Hi Rob, the guys are just being helpful

I chalk it up to mass excitement and giddiness as this train leaves the station to who knows where. It's so cool we can all enjoy this journey together. It's going to be a great ride!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #74
RVFRick
Veteran

1% Contributor

Session 7: Tool chest assembled.

Went to garage early this morning to finish assembling the tool chest. I'm happy with it though I already know more drawers would have been better, but for $90 bucks I'll make do and it's a start. I could add on. Just need to get wrenching and come up with a system I like.

For certain I need a work surface. Working on the floor is no fun. I have lots of wood boards in the garage. Maybe I could put in a wall mounted "counter" though it would be pretty flimsy. What I'd really like is a stout workbench - solid - a home for the decade old massive garage sale vice that I said I would use some day. Perhaps that day has come. Thinking.

Anyways, first things first: pool all my "project reanimation" relevant tools from my motley tool box collection and find a home for them in the too chest.

Speaking of tools, yesterday I stopped in at the Swagelok, Santa Clara warehouse, a maker of high-quality fluid handling fittings. I had to pick up a simple 1/8" compression+1/8NPT fitting. While waiting I browsed the showroom and played with some clever ratcheting wrenches. Made from sheetmetal and some forged parts, the design provides a means of ratcheting a nut that's already on a pipe. It firmly grips a nut in one direction yet easily slips when turned the opposite. The salesclerk showed me an older discontinued version which had an arrangement of round pawls held in place by a spring. I wish I could explain better. Trust me, it was one sexy tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-10 11.59.24 copy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	494472   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-10 12.06.13 copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	494473   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-10 19.25.32 copy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	494475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-10 11.57.06 copy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	494476  

Last edited by RVFRick; 05-11-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #75
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFRick View Post
Afterwork tinkering with toolchest was not w/o incident. I had loosely assembled the uprights to the base and just about to tighten everything only then realizing I assembled them all upside down. Butter side down 4 times in a row! #$!@&%! Remove all nuts, bolts, washers, shuffle uprights, and reassemble. I may never learn to read instructions first

On the bright side amazed by quality of my new Costco tool set. It has all the features I was looking for: 72 ratchet teeth, smooth round handles, socket ejector, ratchet direction toggle switch, 6-point sockets, legible markings, color marked SAE v. metric and, MOST IPORTANTLY, a reliable and well designed storage case. Bonus: MIT (Made In Taiwan)!

I have suffered with an infuriating Craftsman set for 20 years. The tools are fine it's the storage case that is a POS. Every time I went to open the case, I would shudder forced to spend 15 minutes reorganizing everything that fell out of its holder. I joke not, every time. I promised myself that if I ever bought another socket set it better damn well have a solid organizer. The Costco set has it in spades and is $20 off now, only $79. Can't wait to put 'em to use.
The Costco set rules! I bought a set in 2010 and still use them to this day. Never had one break. The case broke after being dropped numerous times but is held together with Velcro. The sockets all stay in place. Well worth the cost. Only need a couple basic additions to round out the set to be able to do top end rebuilds, etc.