Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #16
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwood View Post
The pavement is mediocre at best. The line through the carousel is hideous. I have one friend that crashed because of it.
Just one?
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I'll say one more thing and shut up. A high level Sears Point exec ( personal friend) told me a couple years ago about their new strategy: "We're going to raise prices until they scream."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post

If Sonoma is struggling financially, they are doing something VERY wrong.
They are not struggling.

Last edited by afm199; 02-08-2018 at 12:25 PM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
ViperThreat
Veteran

Motorcycles: '06 GSXR-1000, '06 GSXR-600, '09 FZ6R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
I'll say one more thing and shut up. A high level Sears Point exec ( personal friend) told me a couple years ago about their new strategy: "We're going to raise prices until they scream."

They are not struggling.
Then I feel absolutely no remorse when I choose to ride elsewhere.
ViperThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #19
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Thumbs up

Thunderhill East...👍🏻
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
VPREATR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Eeny meenie miny moe
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
Then I feel absolutely no remorse when I choose to ride elsewhere.
I'm not asking for direct support of Sonoma, only support for the vendors that have to endure the increased pricing structure as I'm certain ALL of the vendors have had to elevate their pricing accordingly and as such, it seems that many riders were unaware that the increase was perpetuated by Sonoma and not a random money grab by the vendors.

It's your choice, support the vendors that offer Sonoma and we'll likely see continued availability, avoid the venue and I have no doubt in a few years it will simply be a rarity, if available at all.

Truth be told, I don't have skin this game, so to speak, although I do enjoy Sonoma and hopefully I've done my part in spreading the word.

Take care.
AFM #151 (811)/ CCS #911
VPREATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Moto Beck
The Longest Title Allowed

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Triumph 765 RS
Name:
This happened on the east coast with Pocono - can't say if increase in track prices were a direct cause of that but most days were pretty damn crowded at other tracks. The trackday orgs are constantly fighting for track time and there's always drama.

We're lucky to have a long track season and great tracks - and what seems like little drama between track orgs - i'm looking forward to doing my first day at Sonoma this year.
Moto Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #22
ViperThreat
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPREATR View Post
I'm not asking for direct support of Sonoma, only support for the vendors that have to endure the increased pricing structure
Oh there's no problem there. I intend to attend as many trackdays as possible this year, just probably not at any Sonoma events.

Quote:
it seems that many riders were unaware that the increase was perpetuated by Sonoma
I'm surprised by that honestly. It seems pretty obvious to me that the venue is overpriced, since the only other explanation would be that all the trackday orgs have a gentlemens agreement to monopolize trackday pricing on that track in particular - which is almost silly to say out loud

Quote:
It's your choice, support the vendors that offer Sonoma and we'll likely see continued availability, avoid the venue and I have no doubt in a few years it will simply be a rarity, if available at all.
Oh I'm sure that we'll see reduced availability of Sonoma Trackdays, but honestly, that's probably the best thing that could happen. You need to remember that tracks only make money when there's rubber on the asphalt. Sure Sonoma can probably sustain itself with the major events that they host, but I'm willing to bet that trackdays account for at least $1,000,000 in revenue each year for them.

If they continue to increase their rates and price trackdays out of the game, they're giving up on significant income.

Now the Sonoma execs may be greedy, but they probably aren't stupid. Once they realize that their pricing is killing attendance and revenue, they'll relax their pricing - which is all the better for us.

Until that happens though, I'd rather not support them.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #23
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not asking for direct support of Sonoma, only support for the vendors that have to endure the increased pricing structure as I'm certain ALL of the vendors have had to elevate their pricing accordingly and as such, it seems that many riders were unaware that the increase was perpetuated by Sonoma and not a random money grab by the vendors.
Maybe its the vendors that the Sears exec wants screaming.
berth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #24
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:

Truth be told, I don't have skin this game, so to speak, although I do enjoy Sonoma and hopefully I've done my part in spreading the word.

Take care.
It works itself out. We all love the track, and none of us will keep riding if trackday prices rise so high that it simply becomes financially burdensome.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #25
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
t simply becomes financially burdensome.
It's not financially burdensome now?!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #26
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Beck View Post
It's not financially burdensome now?!
AT $300 a day, I suspect that Sears Point days will start losing money. That's close now. I'd rather drive to Thill by far.

Honestly, it's already made a huge difference. 10 years ago, just before the big recession, Sears Point days sold out the same day they were listed.

Today they seldom sell out. Which means TDP's just book fewer.

Keigwins is doing three this year. That's far fewer than it used to be. 8 years ago they did nine or ten. In fact none of the TDP's are weighing in heavily at Sears Point, which pretty much means that the ball is in the track's court.

Last edited by afm199; 02-09-2018 at 09:54 AM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #27
Moto Beck

AMA #3692965
Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
AT $300 a day, I suspect that Sears Point days will start losing money. That's close now. I'd rather drive to Thill by far.

Honestly, it's already made a huge difference. 10 years ago, just before the big recession, Sears Point days sold out the same day they were listed.

Today they seldom sell out. Which means TDP's just book fewer.

Keigwins is doing three this year. That's far fewer than it used to be. 8 years ago they did nine or ten. In fact none of the TDP's are weighing in heavily at Sears Point, which pretty much means that the ball is in the track's court.
no doubt - same thing happened on the east coast - there were a ton of tracks and it basically consolidated to 2 in the NJ/NY area unless you wanted to travel 4+ hours to NC/Virginia.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #28
VPREATR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Eeny meenie miny moe
Name:
In all honesty, all of the Northern California tracks have increased their rental costs, it's quite amazing the providers have endured given that track day pricing should have increased accordingly. It's a tough industry with the current climate of rider attrition; it's definitely not the windfall that providers experienced in the early-to-mid 2000's.

If I'm not mistaken the last industry specific report indicated new motorcycle purchases were down over 50% since the peak recorded in 2006 and it hasn't rebounded. I'm curious as to specifics of such, alas, I'll leave that task for the analysts.

Take care.
AFM #151 (811)/ CCS #911
VPREATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #29
ViperThreat
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken the last industry specific report indicated new motorcycle purchases were down over 50% since the peak recorded in 2006 and it hasn't rebounded. I'm curious as to specifics of such, alas, I'll leave that task for the analysts.
I can't speak to specifics, but I know that there are a few contributors to this:

1. Younger generations are facing a FAR more difficult economy than older folks - when you're paying upwards of 60% of your paycheck on rent alone, spending big bucks on a toy and gear isn't high on your priority list.

2. If you buy a ~2005 or newer motorcycle, you aren't going to see a massive jump in performance compared to a modern bike of the same caliber. In my case, I could never justify spending $18,000 on a New S1000RR that's only a couple seconds faster per lap than my 2006 GSXR that I bought for $4000. The used market is still booming.

3. In Harley Davidson's case, they're aging out too - they cultivated this "badass biker lifestyle" which is rapidly losing it's popularity, especially among younger generations. What's more, their bikes are dated, notoriously unreliable, and very expensive, which is why they're experiencing a huge fall in marketshare.

4. There's more vehicles on the road than ever, and motorcycle saftey statistics haven't improved much over the years. Not a lot of people want to take that kind of risk anymore.

When you put it all together, it's no surprise that sales numbers are down - they're probably going to get worse from here too, unless we get our economy in check.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #30
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
while an S1000RR isn't all that much faster, what it is is safer: traction control, ABS, etc
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote