Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
PorradaVFR
The Temptations of Christ

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda VFR 800A, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S (sold), 2004 Honda VFR 800 (RIP) :(
Name:
Hit & Run - Need Help

My car was hit in a parking lot yesterday as I was having lunch. A nice witness took note of the license plate but when the responding officers looked it up it didnít match any vehicles.

If any of the BARF LEOs could help check a couple of alternatives Iím hoping I can find the offender.

I donít need to get the info myself if that violates policy - but if you can advise the officer using the case number that would be really helpful.

Hereís what I have:

Beige Honda sedan - estimated to be a older (2000ís, maybe 2010ís)
Plate#3WOF111 (thatís what the witness wrote down)
incident was at ~12:30 on 5/29

Case#18-149-0564
SJPD Officer D. Anderson #3177

The officer also tried 3WFO111 with no luck. Iím wondering if it might be one of these:

8WOF111
8WQF111
8WFO111 (the witness said they might have swapped the F and O)
8WFQ111

Per the officer all CA plates are number / 3 letters / 3 numbers so I figure the Ď111í is accurate. They were sure about older beige (maybe gold?) Honda sedan - I figure Accord or Civic.

Thank you if you can help - please post any tips if Iíve missed something. If I canít find the car Iím going to get hit with the deductible (they canít use my uninsured if I canít prove the other car was uninsured... ).

Thanks!

"I don't think anyone should ever take my advice." - KILLAKEYES
================================
Witty comment. [citation needed]
PorradaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
A 3W plate would be mid to late 90s - I'm thinking 97ish.

8W plates aren't out yet.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/V...PubTstQry.aspx you can try looking up smog history there, which will tell you if the plate has been registered recently

Last edited by Junkie; 05-30-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
PorradaVFR

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda VFR 800A, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S (sold), 2004 Honda VFR 800 (RIP) :(
Name:
Thank you - I didn’t know the first number was sequential...that unfortunately take the wind out of my sails...if the witness was mostly right and the 3 is correct...maybe the W was an M? will poke around that link, thank you.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
PorradaVFR

Name:
Hmm...’3WOR111’ comes back to a 1997 Camry that was tested last June - can anyone see if it’s gold/beige? No other combination was as close (either last tested ages ago or blank). I could see someone mistaking an old Toyota for an old Honda.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorradaVFR View Post
Hmm...í3WOR111í comes back to a 1997 Camry that was tested last June - can anyone see if itís gold/beige? No other combination was as close (either last tested ages ago or blank). I could see someone mistaking an old Toyota for an old Honda.
FYI DMV and CLETS don't return vehicle color info. Though, it might be listed somewhere (such as RIMS) if an agency has had a previous contact with that vehicle, and listed that piece of info.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Thank you - I didnít know the first number was sequential...that unfortunately take the wind out of my sails...if the witness was mostly right and the 3 is correct...maybe the W was an M? will poke around that link, thank you.
the full number is (roughly) sequential. There are exceptions, but it's a reasonable way to guess for most cars.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
MR662
Veteran

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
FYI DMV and CLETS don't return vehicle color info. Though, it might be listed somewhere (such as RIMS) if an agency has had a previous contact with that vehicle, and listed that piece of info.
Thats what VIN assist is for, plate hit returns a VIN and then from VIN you can get color.

OP, you can give your insurance the plate(s) as well and there are other systems such as ISO Claims where they can get vehicle info.

Last edited by MR662; 05-30-2018 at 02:05 PM..
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
My car was hit in a parking lot yesterday as I was having lunch. A nice witness took note of the license plate but when the responding officers looked it up it didnít match any vehicles.

If any of the BARF LEOs could help check a couple of alternatives Iím hoping I can find the offender.

I donít need to get the info myself if that violates policy - but if you can advise the officer using the case number that would be really helpful.

Hereís what I have:

Beige Honda sedan - estimated to be a older (2000ís, maybe 2010ís)
Plate#3WOF111 (thatís what the witness wrote down)
incident was at ~12:30 on 5/29

Case#18-149-0564
SJPD Officer D. Anderson #3177

The officer also tried 3WFO111 with no luck. Iím wondering if it might be one of these:

8WOF111
8WQF111
8WFO111 (the witness said they might have swapped the F and O)
8WFQ111

Per the officer all CA plates are number / 3 letters / 3 numbers so I figure the Ď111í is accurate. They were sure about older beige (maybe gold?) Honda sedan - I figure Accord or Civic.

Thank you if you can help - please post any tips if Iíve missed something. If I canít find the car Iím going to get hit with the deductible (they canít use my uninsured if I canít prove the other car was uninsured... ).

Thanks!
Ds can be mistaken for Os on a plate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Thats what VIN assist is for, plate hit returns a VIN and then from VIN you can get color.

OP, you can give your insurance the plate(s) as well and there are other systems such as ISO Claims where they can get vehicle info.
It's been quite a while since I used VIN Assist, but from what I remember, I wasn't able to get a color from it.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
MR662
Veteran

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Ds can be mistaken for Os on a plate as well.

It's been quite a while since I used VIN Assist, but from what I remember, I wasn't able to get a color from it.
The one we use through ISO claims is part of NCIB and it works. Not sure what system you have. A standard VIN doesn't have color option as a VIN is just year, model, Plant, engine and production #, so not sure how they pull the info since color code is normally a separate sticker on door of car.
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
PorradaVFR

Name:
So after speaking with SJPD and State Farm this may be a dead end - I can’t say with any certainty who hit me since I didn’t see it at all and the witness, well intentioned and really nice, didn’t get the plate # so if it wasn’t the Camry (as I suspect, but do not know) I might be causing a hassle to an innocent person.

My only legal recourse is to file an amended report and hope the SJPD can track down and confirm the Camry was involved - but the odds of them doing so look long at best since my “proof” is minimal.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input and efforts to help. Guess this time the SOB is going to get away with it.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
3WOE111 is also a 1997 Toyota Camry.

You can also use CARFAX to get vehicle year/make/model without paying for anything. I keep the CARFAX app handy on my phone for that exact reason.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
PorradaVFR

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
3WOE111 is also a 1997 Toyota Camry.

You can also use CARFAX to get vehicle year/make/model without paying for anything. I keep the CARFAX app handy on my phone for that exact reason.
Good tip, will try it. I dismissed 3WOE111 as the last test was 2016 and the other was 2017 - I figured the former was no longer a valid tag.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Good tip, will try it. I dismissed 3WOE111 as the last test was 2016 and the other was 2017 - I figured the former was no longer a valid tag.
smog tests are every 2 years, so 8/3/16 means it could still have current tags
Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
And there are plenty of cars on the road with registration expired beyond 2 years. I stopped car expired since 2014 just last week.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 PM   #15
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
And not every county requires smog checks.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote