Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #16
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: 2002 VTR
Name:
Any suggestions/advice/support is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiHoney View Post
You want architectural advice or do you want to hear from the clients' side of things? If you want the former, ping me via PM (or click on the link in my sig to get my work email.) I can give you a little info given what you've provided thus far. More from you = more quantity and accuracy of info from me. What you're talking about doing sounds pretty basic (I do this stuff all day long) but the process can seem daunting, expensive and invasive if this is your first renovation. And just know, if you ask 10 different people, you're going to get 10 different answers! That's because these renovations are very specific to the home and client, there's a huge difference between high-end and low-end, and just about any schmoe can build out a kitchen.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #17
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Name:
what's the difference between custom cabinets and regular ones?
clueless.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #18
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Any suggestions/advice/support is appreciated!
We did a major kitchen remodel more than 10 years ago; expect it to take longer than you expect.

Only thing we'd change is having more butcher block as counters; we only had it put to the right side of the stove and we should have put more down but, obviously, never near the sink area.

One large sink is better than a split sink IMHO.

Swapped out the fluorescent under cabinet lighting which was standard back then to LED on a dimmer; highly recommended.

Don't get a wood floor like we did; looks great but gets beaten up.

We will replace with tile.

Having a separate faucet at the sink for filtered drinking water works great.

Oh, and cost.

Be prepared to be shocked.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #19
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
RE Cabinets

price

regular ones come in stock sizes. custom ones are sized specifically to your needs.

a lot of people can get away with a mixture of stock and prefab.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #20
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Name:
I understand. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #21
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, XL1200V
Name: Dave
Cool

Quote:
What to expect?
What will go wrong?
Time Frame
Horror stories?

Happy endings.
Took over three months to remodel our master bathroom, and we still don't have the medicine cabinets in place. Just rectangular holes in the wall. Oh yeah, they're "custom".

Did our kitchen about 8-10 years ago. I now own a refrigerator that cost MORE than all my previous appliances did combined. Not to mention the stove, plate warmer, food warmer, custom hood etc etc. French Provincial.

It took a long time and was brutal expensive.
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2015 Harley XL1200V with Stage One kit
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Name:
I want to go with an updated version of the black and white kitchen design. It's all so overwhelmingly excitingly nerve-racking!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #23
MikeGyver
:)

AMA #2840783
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 916, 996
Name: ekiM
I used www.thertastore.com for cabinets. I went with the assembled option. They came from Jersey. The quality was better than expected (plywood boxes, not MDF), the price was great, they provided a design and CAD rendering of our kitchen before any money exchanged hands. I did the install myself so I can't comment on total cost.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
mrmarklin
Veteran

Cool

Quote:
My kitchen is galley style, no real room for an island. I would like the triangle layout but I'd need to move the fridge to an area that could be seen when walking into my house.

hmmmmmmmm
Well you can do what my wife did to the new refrigerator we put in. It's a Sub-Zero. Doesn't even look like a refrigerator because of the fascia that was used for it. French Provincial.

Actually only do this (remodel) if you are seriously bucks up. I had to take out a mortgage for the kitchen.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #25
Melissa
Veteran

BARFie Winner '06
Founding Member
Contributor ++++++++

Name:
I have my finances figured out. I'm not going to outrageously spend all the money I have however.

It helps that my house has just about tripled in worth since I purchased it.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #26
mrmarklin
Veteran

Cool

Quote:
what's the difference between custom cabinets and regular ones?
clueless.
In general custom is much higher quality as to materials, hinges, shelving etc etc. Also they are made to fit the space you have and are not adapted to fit as standard sizes would be.

If your home is older what is "standard" changes, and custom may be the way to go. But $$$$$$$$.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #27
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

Motorcycles: zzr & xsr
Name: Simon
if I recall, Connie aka GixxerGirl1000 works for a custom cabinet shop in Brentwood as a designer

also, Granite Warehouse (Emeryville / Oakland)has good / cheap import cabinetry
GPzPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #28
2legs2wheels
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: CBR 600 F2
Name:
Subscribed, might need this info in near future.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #29
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
We're still in the planning stages for our small kitchen, around 10'x10'. We've updated all of the appliances already, so now it's the kitchen itself . One interesting thing we found is that there's a 1-2 week wait time to get the counter made if your contractor doesn't do it themselves...I think it was more towards 2 weeks if I remember right.
The contractor that we're likely going to use does counters in-house, so there's no huge wait time for that. For a full remodel (floor, cabinets, counter, lights, sink etc) he says 3 weeks. We plan to pad another 1-2 weeks just in case .

Last edited by gnahc79; 10-24-2018 at 03:20 PM..
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
wife and i remodeled the entire ding dong house but since you're asking about kitchens:

i did the easy installs such as cabinets and appliances. professionals did the countertop and backsplash. i haven't gotten to the crown molding yet... it's only been like 18 months quit asking!

cabinets:
chinese. KZ Cabinets in san jose. there are literally dozens of vendors though, and every area is going to have their own. black wasn't our ideal but there was no chance of custom for us sowe liked the style and black could be made to work. with chinese cabinets, the color and style are in lock step with each vendor. want my style in pink? you'd have to find another vendor or refinish them whcih would likely still be cheaper than custom.

layout: the first cabinet place i tried actually did the layout, even though we didn't get anything from them, and it was free. they all use the same standard cabinet dimensions that are independent of style. there is a "work triangle" in every kitchen. some of them suck, some suck less than others.

quality: i like them better than a friend that had a hookup on custom units. the downside is he has some cool features that aren't available from the chinese cabinet importers. his cabinets have cheapie construction too (part of the hookup price i assume) whereas mine have solid wood drawers that are dovetailed together, his are pin nailed plywood. we both have soft close, which i effing LOVE

drawer pulls are extra for chinese cabinets, and they are expensive. amazon had the best deals

standard height: my island is ~42" from the floor. standard is 36" which is dumb. my 5'7" wife fought me tooth and nail on the height and now loves it. i'd have elevated all the base cabinets if i could but elevating the stove wasn't something i was interested in because it'd have made a step in the floor so now i have to fight her for the 2 small work spaces at the higher height. "standard" height has not evolved as the population, in general, has gotten taller. at least make the sink taller if you can, doing dishes without having to hunch over is so much less sucky. also i know you aren't all that tall melissa. think about it anyway.

electrical
upgrade beyond what you think you need. we don't microwave, so didn't install a dedicated circuit for it (required by code if you mention it) but i would like to have the extra circuit now. do not install any 15A outlets anywhere. you can by code, but there is no reason to do so. you'll save like.... $200 maybe.

the city/couty whatever will likely require you to upgrade the box. 200 amp is common, at that age you might only have 80 amp. it's money worth spending IMO, we're only getting more hungry for electricity and you'll want the capacity eventually. electric cars are in everyone's future.

structural
you probably have termite damage somewhere. welcome to.... california!

tile
don't skimp on the quality of the actual tile. we cheaped out a bit and went with a builder grade from a box store, it's so far OK in the kitchen but elsewhere in the house the same tile is cracking for no ding dong reason. get some kind of porcelain IMO.
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote