Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 10-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #61
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
The dingdong who did janky work to the kitchen in our house for the previous owner pulled power from the bathroom for the microwave. So you can't heat food and blow-dry your hair at the same time

We plan to ditch the electric range for gas. Would it be doable to split the 220 outlet into two separate circuits, one for range electronics and the other for the microwave?
Yes, if there is neutral there, and there should be, Problem is that the 20 amp breakers you put in for the range elec. and micro won't accept a #6 (50 amp) wire so need to have a splice somewhere
And if the inspector wants arc fault protection it gets costly.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #62
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Thanks for the info!
Abacinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #63
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
I sent a great referral for you Melissa

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #64
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Yes, if there is neutral there, and there should be, Problem is that the 20 amp breakers you put in for the range elec. and micro won't accept a #6 (50 amp) wire so need to have a splice somewhere
And if the inspector wants arc fault protection it gets costly.
I checked and the City of Stockton want AFCI and GFCI. Yes, breakers are not cheap. I have 5 circuits in the kitchen and 2 in the dining area so will have enough spots. I have a full panel and just totaled up the amps of the breakers. 425 amps on a 200 amp main, I have always been told you are ok with double the main. AFM199 can you verify this?

I will be OK as I have a 50amp 220v* for the range and a 40 amp 220v for the dryer. I have a gas range and gas dryer so I do not use those two circuits (4 slots).

Going appliance shopping this week. Hope that the wife can find what she wants. Then we plan to wait and see what is on sale black Friday.

* Disclaimer I have changed the 50amp 240v to a 20amp 240v. Using to feed a European 220v receptacle I purchased in Switzerland. I use this on a Nespresso coffee maker my daughter in Switzerland gave me. I will remove the euro plug before the inspector comes out, I am sure it is not legal.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #65
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
I'm about to go through this with our kitchen.

Since I was doing floors on the first floor, I already re-floored the kitchen. We have hardwood/bamboo running through the entire floor.

I also replaced the cooktop (using induction) and the fridge. Electrics should be ok as our house is late 80s construction. What we don't have is a vent, will need to add.

Our focus now is cabinets/backsplash/countertops.

We have one of those two-oven things, but it's useless to us and we want to replace with a combo microwave + oven appliance.

Does anyone have any experience with IKEA cabinets? We are looking at getting those as we like the cold European style.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #66
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post

Since I was doing floors on the first floor, I already re-floored the kitchen. We have hardwood/bamboo running through the entire floor.

I also replaced the cooktop (using induction) and the fridge. Electrics should be ok as our house is late 80s construction. What we don't have is a vent, will need to add.

We have one of those two-oven things, but it's useless to us and we want to replace with a combo microwave + oven appliance.

Does anyone have any experience with IKEA cabinets? We are looking at getting those as we like the cold European style.
My house is 1978 construction. Late 80's is 30 years ago, I would guess you will be looking at some update on your electrical. One breaker for the fridge, one breaker for the dishwasher, one breaker for the disposal, one breaker for the microwave and two GFCE/AFCI breakers (minimum) for the counter plugs. P. Lots of changes since late 80's
Old 10-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #67
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
I checked and the City of Stockton want AFCI and GFCI. Yes, breakers are not cheap. I have 5 circuits in the kitchen and 2 in the dining area so will have enough spots. I have a full panel and just totaled up the amps of the breakers. 425 amps on a 200 amp main, I have always been told you are ok with double the main. AFM199 can you verify this?

I will be OK as I have a 50amp 220v* for the range and a 40 amp 220v for the dryer. I have a gas range and gas dryer so I do not use those two circuits (4 slots).

Going appliance shopping this week. Hope that the wife can find what she wants. Then we plan to wait and see what is on sale black Friday.

* Disclaimer I have changed the 50amp 240v to a 20amp 240v. Using to feed a European 220v receptacle I purchased in Switzerland. I use this on a Nespresso coffee maker my daughter in Switzerland gave me. I will remove the euro plug before the inspector comes out, I am sure it is not legal.
Even if you're not using it now, the 50a is likely required to be there for the range. Lots of ranges are "dual fuel" gas cook top and electric oven(s) as electric oven is more even heating they say.
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #68
Linty
Stick 'em up

Contributor + + + + 100%

Motorcycles: TiLite
Name: Aaron
I quickly read this as 'remodeling my children' and though, "at least she's being honest"

Damn

Last edited by Linty; 10-29-2018 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Sorry Melissa!
Linty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #69
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post

This is subjective, but the whole grey cabinet thing is very dated and to be avoided IMO. At least that's what the mrs says as well as the designer at Lowe's.
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #70
fraz
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 1992 Ducati 900ss
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-R View Post
If you are doing an island, measure your big appliances like your mixer/blender/food processor. Make sure they will fit height and depth wise in the storage underneath. I have to leave those out now because i lack the cabinet depth
Excellent advice. Also, make trays with dual ball bearing slides for lower cabinets with heavy objects. Then you can slide out to easily remove/insert without back breaking contortions.

I'm actually doing SketchUp to build some new cabinets now and this thread is pertinent and has good tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by easter bunny View Post
Don't do birdseye maple cabinets for a house you're going to lose in a divorce. That's my advice!
Best advice everrrr.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #71
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
Even if you're not using it now, the 50a is likely required to be there for the range. Lots of ranges are "dual fuel" gas cook top and electric oven(s) as electric oven is more even heating they say.
We will be gas only. PG&E is killing electric for cooking dinner. PEAK pricing 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM, cook you dinner with the highest elec cost all day This is keeping us from putting in an induction cooktop.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #72
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnahc79 View Post
This is subjective, but the whole grey cabinet thing is very dated and to be avoided IMO. At least that's what the mrs says as well as the designer at Lowe's.
Yeah we don't like the grey ones either. Our preference is high gloss white.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #73
mrmarklin
Veteran

Motorcycles: Harley Crossbones, XL1200V
Name: Dave
Cool

IKEA is cheap junk that no self respecting European would use in their kitchen.

At least the parts of Europe I’ve been to.
103 cu in. kit by BFD Racing,

2015 Harley XL1200V with Stage One kit
mrmarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #74
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++2%

Motorcycles: CRF450x, TT600, M900
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarklin View Post
IKEA is cheap junk that no self respecting European would use in their kitchen.

At least the parts of Europe I’ve been to.
It is not uncommon for European home rentals to require you to furnish your own kitchen, in its entirety

IKEA is used more prominently than you might think
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #75
bikeama
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
It is not uncommon for European home rentals to require you to furnish your own kitchen, in its entirety

IKEA is used more prominently than you might think
This. My daughter in Switzerland has mostly IKEA stuff. Rentals are strange in Europe. You have to buy ceiling light fixtures had to help her install some when we went over. I still have a hard time believing what is not included in a rental over there.