Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted

Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Angelneji

Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Looking for a budget starter motorcycle

Hi all,
Looking to buy my first motorcycle. PM and I will consider all offers for sale within these considerations:
- bike has to be reliable as it will be used for daily commute (about 80 miles round trip).
- I have a limited budget and ideally I would like to pay less than 2k.
- I will still consider anything between 2 and 3 k.
- I have zero experience with motorcycle so I kindly ask that you be patient with me while I consider buying your motorcycle.
- I live in Sacramento so anything within 1 hour drive is ideal for me but will consider longer distance.
- I hope to buy a motorcycle within the next 2 or 3 weeks as I start commuting by early December.
Thank you all
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
You may want to adjust your timeline a bit. If your commute involves lane splitting, you should get a few months of riding under your belt. Don't underestimate how dangerous lane splitting can be.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Mario
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM/Triumph/GSXR
Name: Mario
^^^ What he said!!! But I'd add more than a few months practice. You need to learn to master the front brake for emergency stops, you will need that when someone cuts in front of you while you split.

Different story if it is just cruising with no traffic and no splitting, still would try to get some classes (MSF bare minimum, there are other classes for road skills, emergency braking, counter steering, etc)

Good luck and be safe, don't become another statistic!
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Angelneji

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
You may want to adjust your timeline a bit. If your commute involves lane splitting, you should get a few months of riding under your belt. Don't underestimate how dangerous lane splitting can be.
Aware of the danger but it is always good to be reminded . I Will not be doing lane splitting anytime soon. Now that I think of it I also realize that you are right and I will adjust my timeline for starting my commute.
Thanks again
Old 11-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Angelneji

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
^^^ What he said!!! But I'd add more than a few months practice. You need to learn to master the front brake for emergency stops, you will need that when someone cuts in front of you while you split.

Different story if it is just cruising with no traffic and no splitting, still would try to get some classes (MSF bare minimum, there are other classes for road skills, emergency braking, counter steering, etc)

Good luck and be safe, don't become another statistic!
I took the MSF course and know it is not enough. I will heed your advice and take it slowly and build skills before start commuting.
Thanks again
Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Big thumbs up.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=530666

No affiliation, just would be a great first bike. Not the prettiest cosmetically, but will be reliable and enough power to keep you safe on the highway for commutes, and entertained for year to come should you keep it that long. And it's under your budget!
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Dubermun
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki ninja
Name: Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=530666

No affiliation, just would be a great first bike. Not the prettiest cosmetically, but will be reliable and enough power to keep you safe on the highway for commutes, and entertained for year to come should you keep it that long. And it's under your budget!
I was going to recommend my bike but you beat me to the punch. It looks worse in the photo than in person! Perfect bike to get your feet wet.
Dubermun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Angelneji

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubermun View Post
I was going to recommend my bike but you beat me to the punch. It looks worse in the photo than in person! Perfect bike to get your feet wet.
I will send you a pm in a bit.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
gt3x24x7
Veteran

AMA #3278988
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR
Name:
Take the MSF classes first. I took my bike off of listing but still available. 2000 Honda CBR600F4. Beginner friendly 600cc sport bike. Carb'd and easy to work on. Have the factory service manual. More comfortable upright seating position. Mechanically solid motor, same motor as f4i I believe with some differences. Goes up to 100k+ miles easily. Very forgiving bike. Has ~35.3k miles as I commute daily. 70 miles each way. Full tank of gas for around ~150 miles off a full tank. Asking $1600. PM me if interested. Had major service done. Salvage title because of cosmetic damage from what I was told.

Work includes valves adjusted, carbs cleaned and synced, oil changed, brake fluids flushed, new coolant, new rear tire, new voltage R/R (charging system from factory was crap), new radiator fan and lots of aftermarket goodies. LED headlights, micron exhaust, adjustable levers, steel brake lines, flush mount turn signals, phone mount with USB charger and lots more. Hell of a bike for the price.

Orange and black bike

Last edited by gt3x24x7; 11-13-2018 at 04:11 PM..
gt3x24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Things you might appreciate in a bike doing 80 miles r.t. commute on it:

Comfort. No sport bikes.

Good brakes. Sport bikes do well here. Bikes with 4-piston front brake calipers do better than bikes with 2-piston calipers.

Range. It will be much more convenient if the bike can easily do your commute twice on a tank.

Maintenance. If you ride that much, cost and convenience of maintenance is a factor.

Narrow width. You may not lane split at first, but you will soon enough.

Agility. Heavy or ponderous bikes can be a liability in traffic, though lots of people commute on them.

Last edited by davidji; 11-14-2018 at 11:40 AM..
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Motorcycles: '04 Triumph Speedy 955
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post

Comfort. No sport bikes.

Good brakes. Sport bikes do well here. Bikes with 4-piston front brake calipers do better than bikes with 2-piston calipers.

Range. It will be much more convenient if the bike can easily do your commute twice on a tank.

Maintenance. If you ride that much, cost and convenience of maintenance is a factor.

Agility. Heavy or ponderous bikes can be a liability in traffic, though lots of people commute on them.
Maybe a DCT NC700 fits the bill then.
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRyde View Post
Just remember, ktm da best!
LakeMerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMerrit View Post
Maybe a DCT NC700 fits the bill then.
If it's in the budget. DCT is awesome in traffic.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Angelneji

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post

Comfort. No sport bikes.

Thanks very helpful. NC 700 sounds good but the ones I have seen on CL are not within my budget.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
What's the commute? Mostly I-80?

Starting in Dec means starting in the rainy season, do you plan to ride in the rain? Or would you take car for rainy days?

I rode for fun and back roads for many years (like 20) ... then I tried commuting by motorcycle in the Bay Area, like 101, 280 and it felt like the craziest most dangerous thing. You have to be on full alert, total focus, watching out for all the crazy maneuvers people make. I was very thankful for my ~20 years of backroad and dirt bike riding experience. I stopped after a while as I just found it too dangerous and stressful.

Don't mean to be throwing a wrench into your plans/dreams, but a new rider, riding in cooler wetter weather and most likely in the dark, 80 miles a day, in commute traffic ... it is like a 5 strikes against you plan.

If you just gotta do it ... I'd suggest to get a bike, put ~1000 miles on it in non-commute situations. Then on a nice day, in daylight, simulate your commute, make sure all is ok. Basically slowly work your way up to it.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote