Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Couch Racer's Corner

View Poll Results: Predictions For Next Year
Marquez will be the champion...again 7 21.21%
Rossi will find a resurgence to get his 10th title 12 36.36%
Jorge clicks with the Honda immediately and takes it all home 4 12.12%
Dovi finally puts it all together and brings Duc their first championship since Stoner 5 15.15%
Tito Rabat comes back from his injury as a cyborg racing machine and dominates the sport 3 9.09%
Someone else wins. maybe Petrux. maybe Iannone forgets his condom and gives the paddock STDs 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #31
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowling4Bikes View Post
I'm assuming someone has addressed this, however...are there restrictions on the length of tubing from the fuel tank? Theoretically, by increasing the fuel line length by an absurd amount, and widening certain portions to create bladder(s), they can get a significant amount more fuel into the bike.
The rest of the fuel system was added to the 22L regulation in 2017 or 2018.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #32
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
U mean like in 2007? Ducati has had a power and or drive advantage for prob 1/3 of the 4 stroke era. So I’m not buying that this new cheat is causing it.
Who said this was a new cheat? As far as I know, this could have been going on since they shrank fuel capacity limits back in 2007.

2007 was an aberration, IMO. Ducati nailed the 800cc motor whereas it took the other manufacturers a season or two to dial it in. We’ve been in the 1000cc era for 7 seasons now. I have a hard time believing that Honda’s endless budget can’t figure out a way to motor past a Ducati when both bikes are within the technical regulations.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 AM   #33
NSR500
すけべ

Motorcycles: Ducati 996 Ducati 748 VFR400/NC30
Name:
Damn...

They talking about Kangaroo-Werewolf going back to HRC and forming a super team because of Puig.
3 World Champs in the same camp on development, the #2 bike and the #1 bike.
If so, that would be crazy!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 AM   #34
plaid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
Name: Barking
Splendid Sepang recap ahead of FP1 coverage. I would like to know what they were looking at in Dovi's garage. Laughing and hand gestures. Content piped in off a laptop, no doubt. Football, snooker, Spanish daytime TV, synchronized swimming ... one fears to speculate what would so engage such wonks. Whoa, Rins saved a shunt. Marquez looks in a proper funk, even teary.

Thanks for the thread, pro intro post, and outstanding poll selections Kelso.

#DaniFTW

SuperMike wins plaid's Un-official Bodacious Avatar GIF of the year Award. C.O.D.

#NakedReddingFTW

Quote:
however, I think the biggest benefit is that a team could fit more fuel inside the 22L tank. 22L at -40C is almost 7% more fuel than 22L at 15C. the fuel heats up after leaving the garage and could expand to ~23L (depending on how fast it expands and how fast u use it). the real volume change is likely smaller than that since 10C below ambient is already allowed and -40C fuel is probably too cold. so lets call it 3% more fuel. 3% over race distance probably means they can switch to their low fuel map almost 1 lap later.
Robert wins plaid's Un-official Bodacious Too Sexy For My Helmet post of the year Award.

Last edited by plaid; 11-16-2018 at 04:50 AM..
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 AM   #35
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
Damn...

They talking about Kangaroo-Werewolf going back to HRC and forming a super team because of Puig.
3 World Champs in the same camp on development, the #2 bike and the #1 bike.
If so, that would be crazy!
rumor control. It was interet click-bait

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #36
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655
Name:
Quote:
So I’m not buying that this new cheat is causing it.
Well, since somebody *ahem Honda* ratted them out, their performance has dropped off. Both on the timesheets and eyeball test.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #37
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
re: #darnchillyfuelgate

The bikes sit on the grid for 10-15 minutes between the sighting lap and the warm up lap. With all the very hot temps for the European races this year ("baking hot conditions"), wouldn't the fuel warm rapidly during this time? I know the teams use those reflective blankets on the grid but those mostly fit over the air box since the majority of the fuel is under the seat on most (all?) MotoGP bikes. And I'm not sure about this but during the pre-race grid festivities wouldn't there be water obviously dripping on the ground from condensation?

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service

Last edited by Map8; 11-16-2018 at 07:19 AM..
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #38
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Vinales switches up his number.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...t/3214839/amp/
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #39
scootergmc
old and slow

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Map8 View Post
re: #darnchillyfuelgate

The bikes sit on the grid for 10-15 minutes between the sighting lap and the warm up lap. With all the very hot temps for the European races this year ("baking hot conditions"), wouldn't the fuel warm rapidly during this time? I know the teams use those reflective blankets on the grid but those mostly fit over the air box since the majority of the fuel is under the seat on most (all?) MotoGP bikes. And I'm not sure about this but during the pre-race grid festivities wouldn't there be water obviously dripping on the ground from condensation?
Not necessarily. The fuel "shrinkage/growth" of ~22ish L is very minimal and may just be enough to have the adequate burn off during the warm up (not lap)/sighting lap, leaving enough room for the minimal volumetric "growth" as it warms.

As for condensation, I highly doubt it. 1. you'd need a lot of condensation to drip, and the heat would cause more evaporation than anything else, and 2. those lowers don't drop anything on the ground unless it's coming out the back at speed.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #40
scootergmc
old and slow

Name:
This is the image they used in the article: https://www.gpone.com/en/2018/10/21/...at-motegi.html

Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #41
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Who said this was a new cheat? As far as I know, this could have been going on since they shrank fuel capacity limits back in 2007.

2007 was an aberration, IMO. Ducati nailed the 800cc motor whereas it took the other manufacturers a season or two to dial it in. We’ve been in the 1000cc era for 7 seasons now. I have a hard time believing that Honda’s endless budget can’t figure out a way to motor past a Ducati when both bikes are within the technical regulations.
its a new cheat because they were just caught. u really think HRC and Yamaha don't pay attention enough to let this one slide by for years? also, im not sure when this actually became a cheat, when fuel temp was included in the regulations. so its possible that all the other factories were chilling their fuel more prior.

but we havent been in this 1000cc era for 7 seasons. this is only the 3rd season of Michelin and SpecECU. drive is significantly affected by electronics, chassis, tires, and motor. and its obvious that all the factories take a diff approach to going fast by favoring certain portions over the others. HRC has dramatically improved their drive since 2016, but its not like Duc has been sitting still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
Well, since somebody *ahem Honda* ratted them out, their performance has dropped off. Both on the timesheets and eyeball test.
bull.

- there arent enough rounds to say anything with certainty
- Duc's results generally fall off after Motegi because PI, Sepang, Valencia in the dry are mediocre tracks for them at best
- Motegi and Sepang cant be compared to previous years because of the weather differences.
- without Dovi's crash, his point total from Motegi would be comparable to '17
- Duc still motored past others at all these tracks.
- Duc's traps speeds havent changed in the dry from '17 to '18

theres only 1 good data point I could still check: speed trap gap back to everyone else, comparing before/after Motegi or to 2017. but I really suspect that hasn't changed one bit. maybe ill find the time later today.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 11-16-2018 at 09:43 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #42
Map8
Don't H8

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Wet weather at Valencia has been good to Joe Roberts. Rain in qualifying and the race would out him with the front runners.

BARF Terms of Service
Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #43
scootergmc
old and slow

Name:
Quote:
bull.

- there arent enough rounds to say anything with certainty
- Duc's results generally fall off after Motegi because PI, Sepang, Valencia in the dry are mediocre tracks for them at best
- Motegi and Sepang cant be compared to previous years because of the weather differences.
- without Dovi's crash, his point total from Motegi would be comparable to '17
- Duc still motored past others at all these tracks.
- Duc's traps speeds havent changed in the dry from '17 to '18
Sorry, we're going to disagree.

Sepang is a total duc track and yes, I believe the differences were apparent.
You're correct in comparing two years at Sepang, but you can easily compare the test in Jan to their suck balls performance race weekend. They didn't motor past anyone, they were a non-factor with two giant straights and barely beat the satellites. I think the most notable differences were/are in the corner exit acceleration, hardly measurable by timesheets, but was expressed by the other riders, most notably MM93 after his battle with Dovi in Austria????

You'll believe what you want, but Sepang was the deciding factor for me, and timesheets will not tell the entire story.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #44
CocoLoco
FN #5

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: CM450C (sold), FJ600 (sold), CBR1000RRx2
Name:
Is it more important to be fastest around the track or fastest through certain sections/turns?

Perfect people are boring as fuck.
-afm199
CocoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #45
Map8
Don't H8

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoLoco View Post
Is it more important to be fastest around the track or fastest through certain sections/turns?
Depends if you are trying to win the race or win the internet.

BARF Terms of Service