Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 11-21-2018, 02:55 AM   #31
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Time to fix that muffler and leaky headgasket. So I broke the muffler clamp it was seized

I could not get the headpipe out all the way but enough to get to the nut where the head is leaking.

Looks pretty good in there

So what's happening here is this nut works itself loose and then it starts leaking oil and it starts dribbling to the back of the head.

HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:03 AM   #32
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here is the nut in question, I could tighten the nut a little bit with the exhaust in the way but not very well. Hopefully tightening this works

Cleaned all that oil and dirt off with engine cleaner

I made sure and tightened it really snug. It feels like it's bottoming out though. It suddenly just stops and you can't tighten it more. So I've tightened it as tight as I could and I slathered a bunch of threadlocker on it. Hopefully this works. It's only suppose to be torqued at like 14 ft-lbs also O_o'
Old 11-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #33
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

GSXR1000 Muffler

Keintech Midpipe, this is a collectors item now. Notice how much it necks down for the headpipe. I could probably get more flow if I got a better headpipe.

Gasket looks OK, probably should change it in the future

Busted seized clamp going to replace with a hose clamp

Time to fix this oval'd muffler mount. Like my military grade HadesOmegaSpec muffler mounting plate? So couple problems goings on here. The plate and the muffler have oval'd out because the vibrations and solid mounts. So my plan is to bore the holes round again and add gromets so it has some kind of vibration dampening. Also notice the muffler is rubbing on the plate I'll add a gasket between the two to stop the chaffing.

Gromet

Gasket is made of silicone hot pot mat I bought at Daiso for $1.50

Put it all back together, hopefully this helps with the mounting and vibrations. It still feels stiff. Will have to check it out after LAB2V.

Wheel goes back on, Ohhh look at those knobbies looks like the Cactuspuncher is ready to battle the dirt! D606 Rear and TK80 Front small block knobby action!

Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #34
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

So when I was working on the chain and replacing the countersprocket I noticed this. I never noticed it before so it may have been like this for a while O_o' There's a hole in the swingarm chainslider! It's also starting to dig into the swingarm, fortunately no hole! This isn't a part where the chain rests on also so my only guess is the repetitive swingarm action the chain whips this spot over and over until this happens.

So still more than a week to go I use the ebay magic and located a used one that's in better condition than mine. Found one for $25, buy it now and it's here in less than week. I think that is the DR650's greatest strength is used parts availability and aftermarket! I can easily find used but still usable parts on the interwebs because Suzuki made sold so many of these machines My buddy has a 2009 BMW F650GS Twin and you hardly find any parts for that bike you'll have to go to the dealer and pay $$$.

Removed old chain slider not too hard. It is held in by button head phillips head screws. I had to use an impact driver so I wouldn't strip them. The previous owner of this bike oddly replaced the bottom screw with a allen head bolt, makes it easier. I had to remove the airbox to get the top ones out.

Side by side

Here's where it's mounted kinda dirty from all the lube and dirt

Cleaned the swingarm up a bit. Looks brand new EXCEPT underneath the slider. It's all pitted. My guess is the sand/dirt gets under the slider and starts pitting it like 8grit sandpaper.

Installed the newer one, you can't see it but I used a button allen head bolt on one of the top screws so if I need to remove it I don't need an impact driver and airbox removal.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #35
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

LAB2V right around the corner. I will admit I am about one task behind everyday but I should make it. Next is to setup the preload but before that I need to get my riding gear ready. For LAB2V I am rocking my adventure gear. I know it's going to be cold, the adventure gear is great for climates 30F to 100F I know I've tested it So to set the preload I gotta wear all this, or I suppose I could weight it all and stuff some weight into a back pack when I set the preload. Rockin the Olympia Dakar and I'm taking BOTH cold liner and wet/wind liner. Last time I didn't take the wind liner and I paid for it chilled to the bones because the cold linear doesn't block the wind it goes straight through it. I had heard a rumor that the 2017 LAB2V was not as cold as it was in 2016 hopefully that will be the case it's miserable riding in the cold until that sweet sweet sunlight comes up.

Gloves I will take 2 pairs. I will have a 3rd pair for when I go home if it is freezing. Still rockin the youth goggles. Gloves are Racer Rally Gloves, love these gloves I literally rode the whole TAT with them. Then there is Knox Nexos for street duty and if I need a warmer glove. I don't think I'll really need the cold weather gloves because I have heated grips. Then to top it off or more like bottom it off I have my Risk Racing anti blister gloves. These are great and prevent blister because we'll have to twist more than 100X times!

Helmet Caberg Tourmax, still rockin my old buddy here.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #36
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Sorting the gear I will be taking with me. Yeah Merlin bring too much stuff =P

This is the stuff from my dirtbike trail pack that I will be taking

These tools will be stored in the tank pannier so they are easily accessible.

Gotta go through the rotopax also, basically all I'm taking from that is the tire levers and tire stuff. All my bikes have a specific tire repair kit that I assembled for them.

More stuff added to trail pack

Oops this Tusk sparkplug holder only takes one spark plug, I forget the DR650 has 2

This stuff will go in the stock DR650 tool tube

Trail pack all loaded up

Old 11-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #37
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

The trailpack weighs about 11lbs not too bad

So I strapped this fenderbag that has my 17"tube in it and my tire irons and 14T sprocket

So the 21" was in my rotopax where do I put it? Stroke of genius I wrapped it in this MRE bag and zip tied it under my tail rack. Another benefit of this is it presses down on my rear fender a bit so it'll keep it from flopping around.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:05 AM   #38
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Now the bike is loaded time to adjust the preload, got my gear on!

Here is my preload adjusting apparatus

An arrow through the axle

A camera on a tripod and a tape measure

Measuring full rebound, so here's what I did. I set the sag at 2.5". You're suppose to set it at 3" on this bike but it doesn't have much fuel in it, plus I'm sure I might be adding more weight somehow =P. The full extended stroke I measured from the arrow to the grab handle is 22". So 22" - 2.5" is 19.5" So that's my target. I sat on the bike and recorded the with the camera how much the sag was. It was 19.75" when I replayed the video. So actually too little preload. I loosened the adjuster too much. So I turn the collar 2 full rotations and I guessed right next measurement 19.5"! Bike is good to go!

So not much of a proper shakedown and it's raining outside. I take the DR for a spin around the block and all seems well. Cactuspuncher is ready to take on LAB2V 2018! The battery did need a jump I hope it will be fine when we start rolling. I brought my jumpstarted just in case and I will be fully charging it, I usually keep it at storage voltage.

But wait there's more! I forgot to remove my old LAB2V sticker. I'm sure it will just confuse them. This sticker has been all over the country. Also I have a new sticker to put on a Cactrot or Cactaur from Final Fantasy! Why because watch out Cactuspuncher is coming to get you!

One more thing to check is the countersprocket retaining plate to see if it is rubbing on the chain because I put a smaller countersprocket. This seems to be fine, it is really close. I also lubed the chain, I will be liberally lubing the chain throughout the whole event!

That's it I head for Palmdale in a few hours! IT'S GONNA BE AN ADVENTURE!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw
Name: Daniel
Have fun Merlin!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #40
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Have fun Merlin!
+1, wish I was going with you!
Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
IBA#4200
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #41
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

WE DID IT! 400+ miles through the Mojave desert in 2 days! Completed all the dirt sections and one hard section! LA to Barstow to Vegas!

Last edited by HadesOmega; 11-27-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #42
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
WE DID IT! 400+ miles through the Mojave desert in 2 days! Completed all the dirt sections and one hard section! LA to Barstow to Vegas!

so awesome!
Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
IBA#4200
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #43
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Max speed of 78?!?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #44
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishMortal View Post
Max speed of 78?!?
Yeah it was on one of those wide graded dirt roads. One of those moments where Merlin asks "Hmm how fast can we get it here?"
Old 11-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #45
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Medium Green One (Semi-Retired) | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
Good stuff Merlin! Bike looks great in the Dual Sport trim level....