Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #31
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
I commute on my Zero so I no longer have that luxury. I Want the battery powered ones so I don't have to install headed grips on everything and also I have then have warm gloves when hiking or whatever.
Good heated gloves work better than heated grips anyway. I have some Gerbing gloves that I really like. Too bad the motorcycle show is history. It was great for trying on gear at the Gerbing booth.

Another heated gear vendor that is highly regarded is Warm and Safe. Don't know if the have gloves.

I doubt you'll find many, if any, gloves with their own battery pack that would be suitable for motorcycling. What you might do is install a separate battery on the bike just for the gloves. That way you can choose from the best motorcycle specific options. When you plug the bike in at the end of the day to charge it, do the same for the extra battery. With it wired up the right way, it would be simple and quick.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #32
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Thread creep, it's a philosophy not just a bad habit.
Not a bad habit at all. People have discussions. It's not all about the OP and what they want to talk about. If someone doesn't like it they can start their own forum, but it probably won't be very popular.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #33
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
I have Fly Racing battery heated gloves and they kept failing, so I removed the battery and there are decent non-heated gloves.
Yep, these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-heated-gloves seem to be the best choice. The market sucks. Buy from RevZilla or Amazon, keep the packaging and return if/when they fail.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #34
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
It's not all about the OP and what they want to talk about.

Buy my take offs you FOOLS!
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=531628
R3DS!X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #35
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
These aren't moto-gloves but I wear them on my bike anyway. I got them for skiiing, snowshoeing, flyfishing on the East Walker in the Winter.

They are fuckingtoasty, and kind of cheap.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...c=aw.ds#hero=0

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #36
KTMKen
oldest hooligan you know

Motorcycles: KTMs in Black... SuperDuke, 690SM, 520exc
Name: Ken
Seems that the fly heated gloves look about as bulky as my Cortech Scarab winter gloves. They keep me warm just fine, but lack the dexterity I crave, just like every winter glove I've used. I installed "Heat Demonz", under grip, grid style grip heaters, after reading all the good reviews. Installed and wired them in to a switched power source, with a custom made switch bracket so everything looks OEM. Other than the fact that they are warm, when I take my gloves off after the ride and touch the grips, I wouldn't even know they existed on my bike. Looking at Barkbuster Storm hand guards after a friend at work who had the same result with factory heated grips for his MT10 (FZ10) added the handguards and said it made a big difference in being able to keep his hands warm and to feel the heat from the heaters...

Last edited by KTMKen; 12-16-2018 at 04:40 PM..
KTMKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #37
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
Tell us we're wrong all you like for letting the discussion cover areas you hadn't personally asked about or approved of. It won't do any good. You might as well try to repeal the law of gravity.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #38
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru
One advantage of heated gloves over heated grips is you keep wearing them on your rest stops, and without wind your fingers warm up quickly.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #39
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Tell us we're wrong all you like for letting the discussion cover areas you hadn't personally asked about or approved of. It won't do any good. You might as well try to repeal the law of gravity.
did you ever used to be cool or have you always been like this?

Old 12-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #40
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Don't pick gloves that aren't designed for motorcycle use. In an accident they'll rip apart in an instant.

OP, again I suggest getting some quality gloves from a reputable motorcycle manufacturer. Gerbing and Warm & Safe would be the top choices. Then figure out the battery part of the equation. The gloves that come with a battery for each glove either aren't going to give you the heat you need or they won't last very long. That's why I suggest finding a place on your bike for a good lithium ion motorcycle battery. Make sure it's secure and can't be ripped off. Or make it super easy to attach and unattached so you can take it inside the office or home when you arrive. Make the holder the battery goes in easy to attach to the bike. Lots of quick disconnect connectors out there. If you've got a rack, that will make it much easier. Then get a cord from either Gerbing or Warm & Safe that will run inside your sleeves. And be sure to get a proper controller so you can adjust the heat. If you can mount it on your bike that makes it much easier to use.

Good luck.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 12-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #41
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post
Yep, these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-heated-gloves seem to be the best choice. The market sucks. Buy from RevZilla or Amazon, keep the packaging and return if/when they fail.
I'd question the crashworthiness of those as they're designed for snow mobile use. See my other posts.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #42
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
Don't pick gloves that aren't designed for motorcycle use. In an accident they'll rip apart in an instant.

OP, again I suggest getting some quality gloves from a reputable motorcycle manufacturer. Gerbing and Warm & Safe would be the top choices. Then figure out the battery part of the equation. The gloves that come with a battery for each glove either aren't going to give you the heat you need or they won't last very long. That's why I suggest finding a place on your bike for a good lithium ion motorcycle battery. Make sure it's secure and can't be ripped off. Or make it super easy to attach and unattached so you can take it inside the office or home when you arrive. Make the holder the battery goes in easy to attach to the bike. Lots of quick disconnect connectors out there. If you've got a rack, that will make it much easier. Then get a cord from either Gerbing or Warm & Safe that will run inside your sleeves. And be sure to get a proper controller so you can adjust the heat. If you can mount it on your bike that makes it much easier to use.

Good luck.
The durability is a good point. I don't need them to last long though so i'd still prefer battery on glove. If they last an hour that's plenty. I wish i read that were snowmobile gloves before ordering.... Oh well hopefully the return policy is decent if they turn out to be too fragile.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #43
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Another thought would be to get an electric jacket liner. For that you'd definitely need a larger battery. But the nice thing is that the jackets come with the glove connections already built into the arms of the jacket. At least Gerbing does that. Very handy. Put the jacket liner on, grab the end of the connector with your hand as you put your arm in your outer jacket and then the connector is just hanging there out of the sleeve, ready to plug the gloves into. Just one connector going to the controller.

If you ever consider going with that option, make sure you get a battery up to the task of powering both the gloves and the jacket.

Or.....you could get a small Honda generator and mount it to the rack. Extend your bike's range as well!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #44
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
OP, the best option seems to be battery heated glove liners.

From what I've seen, good options don't come cheap. The ones under $140 aren't well rated.

Also, I would look to get a 20k mAhr battery charger, a 5v system and run the wires up the sleeves and to a pocket. You couldn't get a second battery charger as a backup. Alternatively, you can get a 12v system and wire it into your motorcycle but that seems like a pain.

These guys seem to have a bunch of solutions: All Heated Glove Liners
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.

The GOP slogan should be changed to Do As I Say, Not As I Do.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #45
MapleRoad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
Also, I know we went off topic for a bit with the hippohands stuff, but maybe that's enough to keep your hands warm on the ride. Yes, they look incredibly dorky, especially on a Zero, but often times looking cool goes less-than-stellar comfort or utility.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote