Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #31
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
BARF Admin
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Back to local racer mementos, Eric Bostrom's ZX7RR, one of the best handling bikes of its era, legendary for confidence inspiring front end feel, which led to high corner entry speeds.

Another beautiful blast from the past! A Bultaco Metralla, at one time the fastest production 250 in the world - I think eclipsed by the Suzuki X6 - and an winner of the production class at the IOM-TT.

The board track stuff is pretty cool, though not as extensive as the Anamosa museum.

Here's a truly odd duck, a BSA Gold Star motor in a Norton Featherbed frame. I was scratching my head over this one until I read the plaque. See, as neat of an engine as the Gold Star was, it was a production engine, not the pure race engine of the Manx, so I wondered why anyone would bother. It seems the owner wanted to break the ton over the Mountain Course of the TT, something no Gold Star had managed. His hope was that he improved chassis of the Manx would allow him to carry the corner speed to get there. Alas, he never did. Something beautiful about a mad obsession.

Not a race bike, but notable nonetheless. This is a Laverda Jota, a 1000cc triple that was neck and neck with the Z1 as the fastest production bike in the world in the mid-70's. I've never seen one with a fairing before, and I'm guessing from the shape that this is a Magni.

Continuing the Laverda theme, here's the last real Laverda, the RGS sport tourer flanked by an RZ500 Yamaha, a 500cc V4 two stroke.

Mods v. Rockers? Yeah, we can do that. Perhaps the most desirable bike among the Rockers was this pre-unit Triton. A Triton is a Triumph twin engine in a Norton Featherbed frame. Stunning!

On the other side of that Mod scooter, a late 60's Triumph Tiger.

Continuing on the theme of hot Brit bikes, I have always been a huge fan of the Gold Star.

How about a Triumph bobber made by the legendary Von Dutch.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #32
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

BARF Admin

Name:
More of motorcycles as art. Here we have some motors serving that role. The Triumph twin may be the most beautiful motorcycle engine ever! Next to it, a Montessa two stroke, a Sachs two stroke (love the radially finned head!), and a Bultaco two stroke.

Many will argue that the 916 is the most beautiful motorcycle ever, plus it was a dominant racer in the hands of riders such as Carl Fogarty and Ben Bostrom.

I'm not sure I'd call it art, but I can never resist taking a snap of a Scott Flying Squirrel, a motorcycle decades ahead of its time!

If you're a bicyclist, you should recognize the color of this bike. The color is called Celeste, and it's the trademark color of Bianchi, and here's a Bianchi motorcycle.

Second gen, T150 Trident.

When my eldest sister was dating the guy who became her husband, he had a CL77 like this one - except no muffler - which was pure badass in my 12 year old mind!

Flat trackers? Yeah, a few. Check out this lovely Indian Scout.

An early XR750 as they came from Milwaukee. Has there ever bike a race bike so dominant for so many years?

Smokers love flat track too! As attested by this Montessa and the Ossa behind it. What's behind that? Patience, dear reader.

And your patience is rewarded. Kenny Roberts own XS650 based flat tracker.

More beauty on display with this Montessa road racer.

A Royal Enfield Continental GT, a bike still in their lineup.

More to come.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog

Quote:
- Dalai Lama
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

BARF Admin

Name:
DIRT BIKES! The Talbott has an impressive selection of dirt bikes from the motocross invasion. Let's start with two quite contradictory examples; an original Honda Mini-Trail, and a Dot MX'er from the UK. The original Mini-Trail had the OHC 50cc motor with 3 speed manual transmission, and an automatic clutch. It topped out around 25 mph. A neighbor had two, and I remember racing them around the loop road in a local park, our version of the TT.

The Dot was one of the many small players in the UK market. This one has a leading link fork, similar to a Greeves. It's also powered by a Villiers two stroke also like the Greeves. Villiers was the engine supplier to a number of small manufacturers. I remember seeing Villiers crate motors for sale in the back of moto mags of the day.

An MZ ISDT bike that was a real world beater in the late 60's, and which we could not easily get here because they were made in East Germany.

One of Ole Peterson's speedway bikes with an ice racer behind it. Those spikes must have been terrifying!

A Greeves Griffon (the Challenger had the leading link fork) flanked by a Penton, AKA a KTM.

Better view of the Penton with a Sachs behind it.

That Sachs with the lovely radially finned head.

An AT1-MX (125) with the world changing DT1 (250) behind it.

It may be hard to conceive these days just what a revolution the DT1 was. You could ride it to work all week, and tear up the woods on the weekend. Nothing available up until then was as capable, reliable, and affordable as the DT1.

Two Montesa Cotas, the fullsize, and a mini.

Another legendary Spanish trials bike, the Bultaco Sherpa T.

Did you know that competitive MX'ers were also built in Mexico? Here's a Carabela!

A 71 Husqvarna 400 Cross! On Any Sunday territory.

You may have noticed that most of these bikes have alloy fenders. Some, like Rickman and Bultaco even had fiberglass fenders. These were fragile and easily destroyed. Enter Preston Petty and his "Mudder" fender. He made a small fortune selling these to dirt riders.

A CZ, a bike renowned for speed and reliability, thus very popular with competitive privateers.

Here's another for Butch, the Super Combat Wombat.

A truly badass 400 Maico with a Husky 125CR right behind it.

Ooh, a Rickman chassis with a Montesa motor.

Almost done.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog

Quote:
- Dalai Lama
Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #34
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

BARF Admin

Name:
Let's wrap this up.

A Bultaco Frontera ISDT bike.

That's about it. After spending so much time drooling over so many bikes, there was only one thing left to do.

Thanks for coming along.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog

Quote:
- Dalai Lama
Old 12-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #35
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Talbot in Carmel Valley for me soon! Thanks Kurt!

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #36
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I suddenly got a craving for pie
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #37
Eric B
Know-it-none