Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 12-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, , Kawi w650, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
if you get insurance and then don't pay after the first month, what happens?
I imagine you end up in collections eventually since insurance keeps billing you, not sure when they cancel the policy. Been a long time since I lived there.

There are certainly ways people drive without insurance, but its a much lower number than here.

Mass is also a no-fault state, so things work different when an accident happens.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Not sure it's much different in total number of plates since you put the old plate on your new car.
I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I've been doing it backwards here so far. Although I had one personalized plate that was on three different bikes and another one on two different cars in California.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
fast4d
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 aprilia
Name:
I had to wait 4 months for my plates cause the dealer F*$K up my paper work and didn't bother to contact me.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
My wife's moto sold September 2017 after sitting at a dealer for sale for about 4 months. I got the reg renewal May 2018. Paid it and went to the dealer to put the new reg with the bike. Since it sat for years prior to giving it to them, I said fix the bike (carbs) and sell it. I was willing to pay for the repair but they said they would fix it and take the repair cost out of the sale proceeds. They only changed the battery then said it wasn't selling because it ran like crap. This was what they told me in August 2017. This pissed me off so I avoided them till the new reg came in. I figured eventually they would get tired of moving the bike around and would fix it and sell it as promised (which they did a month later but just never told me or properly completed the transfer paperwork)

Anyway when I go in with the new reg, they tell me the bike sold in September 2017.

Ok where is my money? And why is the DMV charging me $141 to register the bike which apparently I haven't owned for the last 8 months.

Oh we screwed up we will take care of it.

I got my money minus the $141 for reg which they said they would eat since it was their fuck up. They never did. I cancelled the insurance. DMV tells me months later they are cancelling my registration since I stopped the insurance. New owner moved out of state with the bike and they were still messing with it last I heard. The whole situation makes my blood boil. I like the individuals at this dealer but they have a noted history of incompetence which is unfortunate. My story isn't the only one.

OK venting over. Carry on.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
YES! This is a huge improvement. It makes it a lot easier to hold bad drivers accountable....I hope.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
fraz
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 1992 Ducati 900ss
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
I can't tell you how many people stop by our shop (dealership) asking for new inserts because their old ones are brittle and sun faded. The answer is no.
Haha, seriously the nerve. And why the hell would somebody want to roll around with advertising for a dealer that makes their car look like ass? Almost as bad as the hideous HOV stickers the State of Cali forces you to put all over a shiny new EV or hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
I've also lost track of how many unopened license plate packets I've found on top of the spare tire or elsewhere in the the cargo area. I've even found vanity plates back there, still in the DMV packet. Those are the one's that really puzzle me.
Some of the guys I work with get all pissed off by it. Me not so much.
You know them screwdrivers are hard to operate for some people.

Any of your guys every "do them a favor" and mount them?
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
Mass. has a kinda interesting system where the plate is tied to insurance, can't get a plate until the vehicle is insured and can't cancel your insurance until you turn in the plate.
And if you don't pay the insurance bill but do pay the reg- you're covered? Wonder how long that will keep up...
Old 12-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #23
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Almost as bad as the hideous HOV stickers the State of Cali forces you to put all over a shiny new EV or hybrid.
Off-topic, but just to clear up any confusion, those stickers are 100% voluntary decisions by the owner; the state does not force anyone to put them on.
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '09 WR250X-SM -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #24
fraz
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 1992 Ducati 900ss
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Off-topic, but just to clear up any confusion, those stickers are 100% voluntary decisions by the owner; the state does not force anyone to put them on.
Completely aware of that and thanks for clarification for anybody reading since I technically misstated. They are only mandatory if you want to use the hybrid/EV for the main purpose a lot of folks have bought them for... HOV access
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #25
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Perhaps the drive-by and armed robbery artists down here in Salinas will now be forced to steal actual plates now. They currently usually use paper dealer plates.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #26
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz View Post
Any of your guys every "do them a favor" and mount them?
We often offer to do just that.
Most of the time it's "No thank you." Obviously code for "They're there for a reason."
Occasionally they say they forgot all about them and take us up on the offer but that's pretty rare.

Time is an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.

Last edited by gixxerjeff; 12-27-2018 at 03:51 PM..
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #27
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Perhaps the drive-by and armed robbery artists down here in Salinas will now be forced to steal actual plates now. They currently usually use paper dealer plates.
If they are willing to shoot and rob, Im sure getting caught with paper plates is the least of their worries.

This is going to work exactly the same as it currently does. Cop tries to stop car with paper plates. Car takes off. Cop terminates pursuit because the only violation is an infraction of the display of plates. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cost/benefit analysis. The penalty for getting caught without plates is way less than the risk of getting identified while doing dirt, so the paper plates will stay on.

This is about toll evaders, not real criminals.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
This is going to work exactly the same as it currently does. Cop tries to stop car with paper plates. Car takes off. Cop terminates pursuit because the only violation is an infraction of the display of plates. Lather, rinse, repeat.
And then CHP is called to save the day?
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #29
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
And then CHP is called to save the day?

Even a brand new Honda Accord comes from the factory with like 260hp. I’m not sure about your guys’ fleet, but we only have two cars (both V8 Chevrolet Caprices) that will even hang in a pursuit. The rest of our fleet is made up of old Crown Victorias and non-turbo Explorers.

We get dusted in pursuits constantly, even when we get to chase.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #30
MysterYvil
Mr. Bad Example

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If they are willing to shoot and rob, Im sure getting caught with paper plates is the least of their worries.

Cost/benefit analysis. The penalty for getting caught without plates is way less than the risk of getting identified while doing dirt, so the paper plates will stay on.

This is about toll evaders, not real criminals.
Good point. We don't have any tolls nearby so I'm going to take my plates off.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote