Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #106
Entoptic
Red Power!
 
Entoptic's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buy GoPro Now!
Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeNAlive View Post
that's not where i'm coming from. hindsight is 20-20

no sense in wishing you had bought Netflix or amazon or Microsoft or Apple way back when is my point

slow and steady investing into a 401(k) will get you to where you want to go. with discipline and patience, not greed. once you have enough savings, there will be less of that voice inside that says, I wish I had bought that and yearning for $90K in my account ...
You and AFM are correct. Slow and steady aka conservative investing will, in the long run, net you a good amount of money to potentially retire with.

I agree with it but I also subscribe to the “greed” strategy. My 401k is going well and I look forward to retiring on it along with my other investments.
__________________
Shocking your ass like a faulty vibrator. Hear me now but you'll probably feel the vibe later.
Entoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #107
Reli
Veteran
 
Reli's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: land of milfs and range rovers (danville)
Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeNAlive View Post
the upside is, if anyone socked away any money into a 401(k) account continuously from 2007 and let it grow, more than likely you would have more than 90k
Maybe I'm missing something. Socked away how much? And why 90K?
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #108
AwakeNAlive
Veteran
 
AMA #: 2865228
Contributor + + + + + + +

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: the Pacific Ocean
Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
I don't have the number of how much Reli, just a % of your salary and employer match. 90K because he mentioned investing in 1K into a specific stock to get 90K today. my point is, no sense wishing to have bought the magic stock. you can grow your retirement balance and not be all regretful about not buying that magical stock that made it big in the future.


the reality is, you're not going to be that lucky or you won't have the fortitude to hold onto something for that long unless you are receiving some insider info or the shares were distributed to you for being an employee in that company
__________________

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 01-16-2019 at 03:32 PM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #109
Reli
Veteran
 
Reli's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: land of milfs and range rovers (danville)
Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Must have missed that post

But there's formulas/pages out there that will run the calc for you. For example, $1K invested in the S&P 500 back in May 2008 would be worth $1,923 in May 2018. Which is a compound annual growth rate of only 6.8%. Of course, that includes the market dump. If you had somehow timed it right and not put it in until March 2009, you'd have done better.
Reli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #110
Entoptic
Red Power!
 
Entoptic's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buy GoPro Now!
Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Pge leveling out at over 7 bucks. 6.44 is what I feel is a good buy for short term gains. However the delisting rumor is not the best.....

This ain’t over.

Tvix imo is prepping for another run up and massive dump back down. Last month it ran up to 86 and dropped down to 45.
__________________
Shocking your ass like a faulty vibrator. Hear me now but you'll probably feel the vibe later.

Last edited by Entoptic; 01-16-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Entoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #111
AwakeNAlive
Veteran
 
AMA #: 2865228
Contributor + + + + + + +

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: the Pacific Ocean
Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_s View Post
day trader versus cautious investor fight!!
you know what? i think afm199 is being a little bit polite in this thread.


this day trader was the same guy touting buying the dip in cryptocurrencies and selling at a profit whenever he was awake to do it. he claims he had a method. this is a young guy describing himself as a day trader. he always talks about making a profit but never revealing how much he pays in transaction fees or have suffered losses or his tax liability on gains. trying to pass off the illusion that he is always "winning". being a day trader does not make someone an expert on buying equities; it's just what he does during the day.


i think we have a responsibility here in this stock thread. it's not about buying certain stocks to get rich quick. the spirit of this thread is sharing what you have learned by buying equities. it's not about generating interest in get-rich-quick schemes, it's not about misleading the community when you have a vested interest in the stock.


this day trader has already influenced a member to be interested in buying pg&e when the member doesn't even know how to buy pg&e stock. You can see where that is headed ...


as much as you can be lucky in any investment, you can lose your shirt. being a day trader is not something to boast about. it doesn't matter how much you have profited in a transaction. you can lose a lot. revealing you are a day trader, it just means you do not have a full-time salaried job where you can afford to trade equities throughout the day ...

so buyer beware and don't take what you read too literally by anyone posting anything in a positive light, that is all i have to say today ...
__________________

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 01-16-2019 at 06:09 PM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #112
byke
Veteran
 
byke's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: norcal
Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
You should consider starting a bluechip thread instead of trying to make this thread into one. Or maybe Ernie can pm the mods to change this one into the bluechip thread and then others can open new stock thread for all types. Either way, it seems we need a generic thread and a conservative thread.
__________________
FREE HAND JOBS__Teh Poopie Thread__Fetal Liver on Sale!
"It's a joke. It's all a fuckin' joke. God help us all."
byke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #113
Blankpage
alien
 
Blankpage's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on assignment
Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Any interest in a pork bellies futures thread?
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #114
byke
Veteran
 
byke's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: norcal
Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Okay, we might need a bluechip thread, a thread for pork belly futures and then some sort of non-hyper-judgmental catchall thread.
__________________
FREE HAND JOBS__Teh Poopie Thread__Fetal Liver on Sale!
"It's a joke. It's all a fuckin' joke. God help us all."
byke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #115
Blankpage
alien
 
Blankpage's Avatar
 
Contributor +++

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: on assignment
Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
The judgemental part it the glue that holds the internet together
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #116
Entoptic
Red Power!
 
Entoptic's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buy GoPro Now!
Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwakeNAlive View Post
you know what? i think afm199 is being a little bit polite in this thread.


this day trader was the same guy touting buying the dip in cryptocurrencies and selling at a profit whenever he was awake to do it. he claims he had a method. this is a young guy describing himself as a day trader. he always talks about making a profit but never revealing how much he pays in transaction fees or have suffered losses or his tax liability on gains. trying to pass off the illusion that he is always "winning". being a day trader does not make someone an expert on buying equities; it's just what he does during the day.


i think we have a responsibility here in this stock thread. it's not about buying certain stocks to get rich quick. the spirit of this thread is sharing what you have learned by buying equities. it's not about generating interest in get-rich-quick schemes, it's not about misleading the community when you have a vested interest in the stock.


this day trader has already influenced a member to be interested in buying pg&e when the member doesn't even know how to buy pg&e stock. You can see where that is headed ...


as much as you can be lucky in any investment, you can lose your shirt. being a day trader is not something to boast about. it doesn't matter how much you have profited in a transaction. you can lose a lot. revealing you are a day trader, it just means you do not have a full-time salaried job where you can afford to trade equities throughout the day ...

so buyer beware and don't take what you read too literally by anyone posting anything in a positive light, that is all i have to say today ...
It’s a shame you know nothing of me but tell everyone about me. It’s also a shame you try to rally the community against me when they all have read my posts, seen my victories and my failures as well. Why is this even a thing in the stock thread? Some of us want to do more than just put money into a retirement fund.
__________________
Shocking your ass like a faulty vibrator. Hear me now but you'll probably feel the vibe later.
Entoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #117
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
The judgemental part it the glue that holds the internet together
Hahahaha! So perfect. If I did sig line shit, I'd so make that IT.
__________________
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 AM   #118
rodr
IBA # 56746
 
rodr's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oz
Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
So we have this government shutdown that is already the longest in history with no end in sight. At some point the market will notice. Meanwhile Brexit is rudderless with the default being no deal and severe economic consequences to the world's 4th largest economic power. Trade talks with China seem to be going nowhere meaningful. There is potential for new military conflicts.

I'm too old for this shit. Dumped my equities a couple of days ago and bought a money fund to wait it out.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #119
Entoptic
Red Power!
 
Entoptic's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buy GoPro Now!
Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Pge considered solvent by Blue Mountain. Mind you they own 4.3m shares.

Ernie what do think? Can’t link the story from marketwatch as it’s via Apple news.

Another one I’ve watched for probably 7 years now is 9501.t it’s Tokyo Electric and finally starting to move again. You may remember them from Japan. They were responsible for the nuclear reactor. Their high was something like 22k and dropped to low 400 during the crisis. It’s finally creeping to 700 and I believe this is due to their reactors coming back online. Something to watch.

Even AwakeNAlive can invest! It’s long term baby!
__________________
Shocking your ass like a faulty vibrator. Hear me now but you'll probably feel the vibe later.

Last edited by Entoptic; 01-17-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Entoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #120
byke
Veteran
 
byke's Avatar
 
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: norcal
Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
So we have this government shutdown that is already the longest in history with no end in sight. At some point the market will notice. Meanwhile Brexit is rudderless with the default being no deal and severe economic consequences to the world's 4th largest economic power. Trade talks with China seem to be going nowhere meaningful. There is potential for new military conflicts.
The stars are aligning!
__________________
FREE HAND JOBS__Teh Poopie Thread__Fetal Liver on Sale!
"It's a joke. It's all a fuckin' joke. God help us all."
byke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.