Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Motorcycles: SV650
Name:
Extended Warranty on a Ducati; Ageis vs Ever-Red?

I'm looking at a lightly used Ducati at a motorcycle dealer in the east bay. They've offered me two options for an extended warranty:
  • Ageis - 3 year, $1500
  • Ever-Red - 4 year, $1800

The salesman (who I've been conversing with now for a couple of weeks, he's been very reasonable and helpful and not even the slightest bit pushy) recommended the Ageis, and said he has the Ageis coverage on his personal motorcycle. He said that they do sell RPM-1, but that he couldn't in good consciousness recommend it to anyone.

Does anyone have direct experience with either of these warranties? What are some of the gotchas or surprising things they didn't cover?
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Ever Red is the one offered by Ducati themselves I believe, so get that.

I'm surprised it's so cheap for 4 years, seems like a good deal especially since you'll probably need to use it quite a bit.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 AM   #3
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post

I'm surprised it's so cheap for 4 years, seems like a good deal especially since you'll probably need to use it quite a bit.
I think with a used bike (as this is) they don't cover quite as much as if it's new. I'm slowly digging through the contracts and trying to parse the legalese of it all and there's some notable things that seem to be excluded: The Ageis doesn't cover the "fuel system" and the Ever-Red doesn't cover brake rotors, and neither cover "gaskets and seals". Warranty not covering fork seals is a common complaint, but I'm more leery of things like a counter-shaft seal leaking or even worse if a head gasket goes.

But yeah, Ducati does have their reputation and I use the bike for daily commuting. I did 12,000 miles last year and expect to do similar for the foreseeable future, so over 4 years I sure will be putting that "Unlimited Mileage" to the test.

I'm thinking I should start a video blawg ala Doug Demuro's infamous Range Rover about what it's like to own an 8 year old Italian motorcycle with 60,000 miles and a warranty.

Last edited by PrincessFalafal; 01-06-2019 at 01:04 AM..
Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Check is the warranty is inclusive (meaning it has to list what's included) or exclusive (meaning they have to list what's excluded). Check those items on those lists.

$1800 seems exorbitant for a moto, but what do I know...I've never used one.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
redbikes
Rookie

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 Hayabusa
Name: Mike
I had purchased one on a new Panigale R a handful of years ago and I think at the time I bought the bike it was $1,000 bucks to increase it 3 extra years from factory to a total of 5. Then I bought a Panigale S Anniversario that was used (still with 1 mile and not ridden). I didnít buy the warranty at the time but they said (California Speed Sports) I could purchase it up until the factory warranty expired and the price was right around $1,000 again for 3 years I believe. I sold it right before the factory warranty expiring so I never extended it. I canít remember which company they were through.
redbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
I purchased Ageis +3 years for $800 for my 2016 Multistrada. Purchased in Apr or 2018 with 9,100 miles on the bike. This from the dealer I purchased the bike new from. If you are buying the bike from the dealer selling you the policy have them sharpen their pencil.
bikeama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I'd probably just buy a cheaper bike.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post

I second that endorsement of the Factory warranty. There is always some wiggle room on prices, hint, hint.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: are why we're here, right?
Name: Hey You

"Apexes - how the f**k do they work?!?!"
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Check is the warranty is inclusive (meaning it has to list what's included) or exclusive (meaning they have to list what's excluded). Check those items on those lists.

$1800 seems exorbitant for a moto, but what do I know...I've never used one.
Thank you for the advice! I don't have any frame of reference for costs, so I appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeama View Post
I purchased Ageis +3 years for $800 for my 2016 Multistrada. Purchased in Apr or 2018 with 9,100 miles on the bike. This from the dealer I purchased the bike new from. If you are buying the bike from the dealer selling you the policy have them sharpen their pencil.
Sharpen their pencil = see if I can get them to drop the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
I second that endorsement of the Factory warranty. There is always some wiggle room on prices, hint, hint.
Consensus seems to be that both of these options are very over-priced.

For reference they're asking $15k for the bike, which I'll need to have dropped down by quite a large amount for me to sign on the dotted line.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
I'd probably just buy a cheaper bike.
I've been riding "cheap" Japanese bikes for my entire decade-long riding career, and I think I'm over it. The bike is cheaper, but then you have to spend thousands of dollars to make the brakes and suspension not suck. By the time you do all that, you're very near the cost of the premium machines anyway and your bike is still heavier with less power.

I made that decision a while ago when I was considering a KLR 650. Ended up just getting the KTM 690 Enduro and it was brilliant.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
UDRider
Leftist apologist.

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Well it's no guarantee Ducati would be better in that regard. I have Hyper SP. Supposedly with better suspension. Front still sucks. Super soft. Clutch is finicky AF. Apparently I can get a clut6 from next year that fixes it. Fuelling or maybe throttle response suck. Going from above 4k to below just slams you forward.

Also. You have to take it to dealer for anything besides oil change and regular maintenance. Not necessary because they are better, but because they are only ones that have fancy computer that can read codes properly. Every time it ended up in a shop it was at least two-three weeks. Usually more. Last time it was two weeks, but had to make appointment three months in advance.

Don't get me wrong, every time I ride the damn thing it puts a giant smile on my face, but hassle factor is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.

Last edited by UDRider; 01-06-2019 at 03:45 PM..
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFalafal View Post
I've been riding "cheap" Japanese bikes for my entire decade-long riding career, and I think I'm over it. The bike is cheaper, but then you have to spend thousands of dollars to make the brakes and suspension not suck. By the time you do all that, you're very near the cost of the premium machines anyway and your bike is still heavier with less power.

I made that decision a while ago when I was considering a KLR 650. Ended up just getting the KTM 690 Enduro and it was brilliant.
Curious to know what Ducati you have that you can't find a Japanese bike just as light and with equal power.
Thats not a Ducati I'd want to commute on.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #14
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 z900 12 kx100 11 wr250r
Name: George
What ducati is It?
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDRider View Post
Well it's no guarantee Ducati would be better in that regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Curious to know what Ducati you have that you can't find a Japanese bike just as light and with equal power.
Thats not a Ducati I'd want to commute on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee01 View Post
What ducati is It?
I'm looking at a Multistrada Pikes Peak, which ditches the electronic Skyhook setup for manually adjustable Ohlins stuff front and rear. I took it on quite an extended test ride and was impressed with the setup, the brakes were only a couple notches below superbike power and the suspension was extremely communicative. Ducati claims 160hp and 509lbs wet, which I completely believe. I was shocked at how comparatively light it was to move around the parking lot, especially compared to my V-Strom.

I'll still probably need some of Dave Moss's time to really get it dialed in, it felt like there was a bit too much spring in the back and the rear had a tendency to slide more than I expected over less-than-perfect pavement. There was also a minor tendency to headshake when I did dumb shit like closing the throttle too quickly at triple-digit speeds. But it felt well within the realm of acceptable adjustment and I'm confident that given a few weeks to learn the bike I'll really get it dialed in.

Most importantly, the bike has the two major quality-of-life features that I want for a commuter; Keyless ignition and cruise control. The seating position was extremely reasonable as well, although I'll probably get a tall seat for it to give a little bit more room.

Last edited by PrincessFalafal; 01-06-2019 at 09:51 PM..