Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
Lucytriple
Wrrrench

Motorcycles: SV1000 Superhawk
Name: Lucy
I have no experience with those two warranty choices, but I do have a lot of experience with https://www.westernservicecontract.c...ts/motorcycle/ warranties, specifically on Ducatis. They are motorcycle centric and worked with us at Desmoto on several big and small warranty claims and were always reasonable and professional. I haven’t looked at prices for quite some time, but they were always thought of as the best choice.

Last edited by Lucytriple; 01-06-2019 at 10:12 PM..
Lucytriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Motorcycles: SV650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucytriple View Post
I have no experience with those two warranty choices, but I do have a lot of experience with https://www.westernservicecontract.c...ts/motorcycle/ warranties, specifically on Ducatis. They are motorcycle centric and worked with us at Desmoto on several big and small warranty claims and were always reasonable and professional. I havenít looked at prices for quite some time, but they were always thought of as the best choice.
Thanks for the input! Sadly I don't think this dealer offers that, just Ageis & Ever-red. At least those were the only two options they presented to me.
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #18
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFalafal View Post
Most importantly, the bike has the two major quality-of-life features that I want for a commuter; Keyless ignition and cruise control.
The keyless ignition was one of the things I was happy to get rid of when I sold my Multi! I didn't have nearly as many problems as some, but did have multiple occasions where I had to waddle the bike away from gas stations or hold the key close to the pick-up antenna before the bike would start. Super happy that my current rides have keys! Starting is reliable and I no longer have to fumble in my pockets for the key when I want to fill-up.

To get back to your original question... I bought a 3-year extended warranty from Aegis when I purchased my Multi. Like bikeama, I think I paid around $750 for the coverage. I believe that was down from their initial $1500 ask. I purchased Aegis because it was the preferred choice of my local dealership (The Motor Cafe). Since they'd be the ones most likely to end up servicing the bike I thought going with their choice might make things easier. Aegis is based in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale) so if you need someone to yell at, they're local

Another factor to consider is whether the warranty is transferrable. The Aegis warranty is, though there's a $50 fee for the transfer. When I sold my Multi, having the transferrable extended warranty was one of the big factors that lead the buyer to purchase my bike versus others that were available.
fubar929 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
NoobCorpse
Veteran

Contributor +++1%

Motorcycles: red and orange
Name:
I believe most extended warranties are transferrable with the moto - I know for sure Western Service ones are.

I have heard/read that there's a lot of margin on extended warranties for dealerships, but I can't confirm with hard numbers - but they are negotiable. Not sure about the Ever-Red though, since that's Ducati's own extended warranty (and I think roadside assistance) program.
NoobCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #20
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
The keyless ignition was one of the things I was happy to get rid of when I sold my Multi!
Arg, don't tell me that! I want keyless ignition so freaking much, it's the biggest reason I'm even considering a silly machine like the Ducati instead of something sensible like a lightly used Tiger 800. I'm planning on getting the electronically unlocking gas cap as well, so the only time I'd ever need to dig out the physical key would be to pop off the seat.

I've lost count of how many times I've gotten fully geared up, (especially in the rain) only to remember that my keys are in my pants pocket under four layers of gear.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #21
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Check is the warranty is inclusive (meaning it has to list what's included) or exclusive (meaning they have to list what's excluded). Check those items on those lists.

$1800 seems exorbitant for a moto, but what do I know...I've never used one.
+1 MV Agusta 4 year was only 1k more after their standard 2 year. With that being said everything on a MV breaks within the first few months of ownership.....
Old 01-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #22
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
The keyless ignition on my 2015 Diavel was junk. Hopefully they fixed it in the new models.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
The keyless ignition on my 2015 Diavel was junk. Hopefully they fixed it in the new models.
What sort of problems did you have with it?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #24
NoobCorpse
Veteran

Contributor +++1%

Motorcycles: red and orange
Name:
Quote:
Arg, don't tell me that! I want keyless ignition so freaking much, it's the biggest reason I'm even considering a silly machine like the Ducati instead of something sensible like a lightly used Tiger 800. I'm planning on getting the electronically unlocking gas cap as well, so the only time I'd ever need to dig out the physical key would be to pop off the seat.

I've lost count of how many times I've gotten fully geared up, (especially in the rain) only to remember that my keys are in my pants pocket under four layers of gear.
After reading stories of early (2010-2012) multistrada owners having issues with the keyless gas cap not working and having to bust out a hex wrench to pull the cap (or having it towed - seriously), I vowed I wouldn't get one ever - I haven't heard if the new Multis have issues with it. My '17 BMW GS had keyless gas cap and I never had issues with it, other than having to google how to work it at my first gas station visit w/ that bike.
NoobCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #25
ecoyne
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Ducati Multistrada
Name:
I’m a 15 Multi owner with Aegis... at the mileage you are looking to do, i think you should spend the money on service work... they sell a service plan for around the same price... 1, one, uno, Desmo service pays for the plan and they give you 6 scheduled services!

Otherwise, don’t Ducati for commuting!
ecoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #26
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:
Sounds like an Aerostich Roadcrafter would solve this problem for a lot less money than a Ducati costs... and be infinitely more reliable, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoyne View Post
Otherwise, donít Ducati for commuting!
I wouldn't use a Ducati for regular commuting no matter what. My buddy used his 2012 Multistrada for long-distance commuting (South Bay to SF). He's been trying to sell the bike for the last six months and has had absolutely no interest in it, even at fire-sale prices. His theory is that nobody wants to take a chance on a Ducati that has 22,000+ miles on it. I wish I could say that he's wrong...
fubar929 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #27
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
What sort of problems did you have with it?
Didn't work always, barely worked at gas stations. Something to do with the frequency the fob operated on.

Doubt I'll ever own another Ducati.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #28
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoyne View Post
Iím a 15 Multi owner with Aegis... at the mileage you are looking to do, i think you should spend the money on service work... they sell a service plan for around the same price... 1, one, uno, Desmo service pays for the plan and they give you 6 scheduled services!

Otherwise, donít Ducati for commuting!
Yup, the dealer quoted me $3k for the next six services. Due to the current mileage on the bike, that would mean I could get up to three Desmo services out of that (which I've had quoted anywhere from $1,500-$1,900 each). So I'd be covered for the major services on the bike through over 60,000 miles.

Why wouldn't you commute on a Ducati?

If I'm looking for a bike with an upright seating position, big luggage options, keyless ignition, and top-notch suspension and brakes without getting stupidly heavy, there isn't many other options. The Multi 950 S and F850GS Adv are both excellent, but they're new for 2019 and most dealers aren't expecting them in until April. They've also indicated they'll be firm at or even above MSRP, which is very nearly $20k before you even start looking at the options list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Sounds like an Aerostich Roadcrafter would solve this problem for a lot less money than a Ducati costs... and be infinitely more reliable, too

I wouldn't use a Ducati for regular commuting no matter what. My buddy used his 2012 Multistrada for long-distance commuting (South Bay to SF). He's been trying to sell the bike for the last six months and has had absolutely no interest in it, even at fire-sale prices. His theory is that nobody wants to take a chance on a Ducati that has 22,000+ miles on it. I wish I could say that he's wrong...
I've never liked the Roadcrafter much. I wear an old Olympia Phantom suit most of the time.

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't commute on a Ducati.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #29
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCorpse View Post
My '17 BMW GS had keyless gas cap and I never had issues with it, other than having to google how to work it at my first gas station visit w/ that bike.
I test rode a new F750 and F850GS, both of which are getting that full suite of whiz-bang electronic wizardry for the 2019 model year. It would be temping at a reasonable price, but the F850GS is very nearly $20,000. And that's nutty for a bike that doesn't have any adjustment in the front forks, let alone anything besides the two pre-set modes for the rear shock.

The bikes were great. But very . . . clinical and a bit bland.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:43 AM   #30
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Odd that keyless ignition is so unreliable on bikes yet reliable and common in cars.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote