Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #91
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Motorcycles: SV650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I can't really pin point why I chose the KTM over the Duc. [...] Disorganized thoughts lol.
Really appreciate your input. I'm split on the electronic suspension; if I had two otherwise identical bikes in front of me, one with the DSS vs the Ohlins setup, I have no clue which one I'd go for. The hoon and mechanic in me wants the Ohlins, the old fogey wants the DSS. The specific bike that I had been looking at has the manually adjustable Ohlins setup, but if there was a 1200S around for a similar price with similar features . . . I don't know. I really don't know which I prefer. Both sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
I'd hardly describe the Multistrada's torque as absurd...

I've owned both a 2016 Multistrada 1200S and a 2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R. Personally, I always found the Multistrada's 1200cc engine to be a bit disappointing
Maybe it's my own lack of experience showing; all of my personal bikes have been sub-70hp. 690-E, V-strom, and my SV650 trackbike. The only time I've ridden properly powerful bikes (aside from some R1200GSs that I've rented) was during demo days at racetracks or hooning on a friend's bikes for a session. And while they were proper fast when spun up, they didn't punch from the low revs like the Ducati did.

I didn't notice the flat spot on the Ducati during my hour-ish test ride, but I was mostly twisting along Alhambra Valley Road and Bear Creek Road up in Concord. I wasn't exactly pinning the thing and revving it out. You've made me do some googling and look at torque curves, and that *is* a dramatic dip. The bike I test rode had a full termi w/chip system; the internet seems split on how much (if any) of an impact it has. Some charts show 10+hp gains and flatter curves, some show no difference. Hm.

I've never ridden a 1290 of any flavor; maybe that's a good thing. I've sat on the 1290 SA-R and it felt *huge* in comparison to the Multi. I don't know if it's a bigger gas tank or what, but my first though after settling into the saddle was "Jeeze I won't want to slalom this thing through traffic every day". The Multi felt far more manageable by comparison.

The 1290 is also ugly as sin, whoever designed that vertical headlight cluster should be shot (And this is coming from someone riding a 2nd-gen V-Strom, universally agreed to be a hideous bike). But you can't see it while riding it, I guess.

The naked SuperDuke definitely won't be a bike for me, I want some kind of wind protection and fairing for a daily rider bike. The SDGT is closer to my style, but I'd still need better luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCorpse View Post
^^^^What this guy said. [...] The OEM panniers are pretty decent, There's PP bag liners for them and they are fantastic.
Goodness, just looking at Cycletrader it seems there's a fair number of dealers in California with new '17 models listing at $15k or less. Huh . . . I wonder if they've got Keyless. Or did they only get that with the '19 year?

I'll have to sit on one. From what you and RickM are saying, it seems the KTM is slightly more sport and Sumo style, while the Multi is a more touring seating position with better wind protection.

I'd definitely have to replace the SDGT panniers, though. I'm sure the clamshells are nice but there's no way I'm fitting my grocery shopping in there. Big ugly aluminum boxes are ideal for the kind of boring usage I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary856 View Post
Logically, third-party companies provide extended warranty to make money, so on average it's money wasted by the consumers.
The shops I've spoken to about it (whom all universally said "Jesus fuck get that warranty if you're actually putting miles on a Ducati") said that motorcycle extended warranties make money off the fact that most people don't ride that much. They buy the long warranty with visions of riding all the time, but then life gets in the way and they do maybe a couple thousand miles a year. Those are the people that the warranty companies make money from.
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:24 AM   #92
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Mille Factory, GSXR-1000 track, KTM 300 XCW
Name: Tom
A 1290S is a real good option, get on the forums and see what they say. I ran into three guys that had new ones last summer. All had Ducati’s and said BUY IT!

For commuting, a $6k BMW RT is a great tool.

And have you ridding a new VStrom 1200? Well sorted out and way more power than you are used to. Less bugs and less cost.

One other thing - I really wanted a newer MS and after research into the quirks I called a local dealers shop and asked about the reliability of the recent MS models. The service person said some owners are lucky and some aren’t. You take your chances. Talk about and honest comment from a dealer!

Too much risk.

Last edited by NorCal Factory; 01-18-2019 at 02:30 AM..
NorCal Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #93
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Fuck me what did I just do.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #94
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFalafal View Post
what did I just do.
Bought the best bike? Have fun with it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #95
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Most importantly, the bike has the two major quality-of-life features that I want for a commuter; Keyless ignition and cruise control. The seating position was extremely reasonable as well, although I'll probably get a tall seat for it to give a little bit more room.
My new R12 has keyless and cruise. I think I like the keyless thing OK. I stuff the fob in to an inside pocket that's secure and don't have to worry about it.
As much as I like it, the FOB itself has no little hole for a clip or ring. For 17K, you would think they could put a dam hole in the key fob! Air is free, right?

I turned the cruise control on exactly once, to see if it worked. I have to admit that cruise on a motorcycle makes me nervous, same thing with the Shift-Assist feature (clutchless shifting from 2-6). I am so programmed from my years of riding relics and low-tech bikes that I am reluctant to trust those kind of features. What I DO like are the Dynamic Traction Control, Electronic Suspension Adjust, ABS Pro (cornering ABS) and how it makes the bike's handling freaking amazing. It has totally exceeded all my expectations in the handling, braking, power delivery depts.

Maybe if I ever find an open highway without a lot of careening cagers, weaving wankers I'll actually give a longer try.

Oh, and warranty. I'd get the Ducati warranty, and some new gloves. congrats, you needed that bike, right?

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 01-20-2019 at 04:33 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #96
thePUNISHER
RAMPAAAAAAGE!

AMA #3495698
Contributor + + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Name: Keith
Quote:
Fuck me what did I just do.

Congrats! Enjoy it!
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #97
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Bought the best bike? Have fun with it.
Best bike, or dumbest bike? Probably both . . . either way, it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
My new R12 has keyless and cruise. I think I like the keyless thing OK. I stuff the fob in to an inside pocket that's secure and don't have to worry about it.
The first day with the keyless was interesting, because the lock/unlock button is right where I'd expect the starter button to be from my years of riding Suzukis. So I did a lot of getting on the bike, going to start it . . . and promptly shutting it off again. So then I'd have to get off, walk ~15 feet away to reset the whole thing, walk back and try it again.

I did this three times before I finally was able to over-ride the muscle memory and go for the actual starter button...
Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #98
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Best bike, or dumbest bike? Probably both . . . either way, it's awesome.

The first day with the keyless was interesting, because the lock/unlock button is right where I'd expect the starter button to be from my years of riding Suzukis. So I did a lot of getting on the bike, going to start it . . . and promptly shutting it off again. So then I'd have to get off, walk ~15 feet away to reset the whole thing, walk back and try it again.

I did this three times before I finally was able to over-ride the muscle memory and go for the actual starter button...
I wonder why it has to be reset? Seems like it should know Off and On without clearing.

Can you describe the process? On my BMW it goes like:

1. Key fob near bike
2. Push Start/Stop Button to start.
If the fob is out of range, I get a indicator light.

Stopping:
1. Push start/stop
or Use Kill Switch, then push Start/Stop to turn off everything.

It also has a steering lock, operated by pushing and holding down the Start/Stop.
If the side-stand is down, putting it in to gear will stall the engine. That's good for a bonehead like me who sometimes forgets to flip up the side-stand.

It's bonehead-proof. If I stall the bike, I just need to be in neutral or pull in the clutch lever and push Start/Stop.

I have a strong suggestion, too. Buy some spare batteries for your Fob, put them under your seat in a secure place. Batteries do run down. Then run through the battery changing process so you can do it without any angst. I found the BMW fob difficult to access the battery until I attended YouTube University to get some pointers. If there is a secondary emergency key or pin code routine, learn how to do it.

Oh, and we need photos of your new bike. Can't have a party without them.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 01-21-2019 at 12:30 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #99
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:

I don't remember ever having to walk away from the bike to get the electronics to restart. I think you just twist the knob that's where the key should be toward the "Off" label (Yes, it makes absolutely no sense. °Vive Ducati!) then push the starter button...
fubar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #100
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
I don't remember ever having to walk away from the bike to get the electronics to restart. I think you just twist the knob that's where the key should be toward the "Off" label (Yes, it makes absolutely no sense. °Vive Ducati!) then push the starter button...
Well now, I learned something new today. Still getting adjusted to the bike's quirks.

Speaking of quirks, did yours seem to run abnormally cool on the freeway? Taking it to work the past couple of days the engine temp has never gotten over 135f on the freeway, and barely rises above 150 puttering around town.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #101
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking open
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #102
UDRider
Leftist apologist.

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Welcome to Ducati ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #103
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
The thermostat was leaking on my bike the first night I got it home. Fixed under warranty a couple weeks later.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #104
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking open
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDRider View Post
Welcome to Ducati ownership.
The best part is that I knew exactly what I was getting myself into and did it anyway.

I talked to the dealer, and they put in a call to the regional service center who said the behavior was normal. I've asked a few other Multi owners as well, and at least one of them has reported the same behavior and he's had the bike since new.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #105
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Normal and right aren't the same thing.

If your engine is operating at 135F, you're ending up with significantly more water and fuel in your oil. That reduces oil life and engine life.

My grandparents were told that the pulsing brakes on their Camry were normal. Well, they were, to the point that there was a TSB to fix them. Doesn't mean they were right.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote